Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
MH101

Bloodletting

Hey guys, I'm thinking about making a doom clone or total conversion with elements of gothic horror; it's called Bloodletting, but it's probably a temporary title. You play a new recruit for a guild that hunts vampires and werewolves as well as other monsters of gothic nature.

I was thinking on putting into the game a shop system kinda like in Strife and medieval style walls like in Hexen.

The weapons include a standard crossbow and a special one that fires silver stakes dipped in holy water.

What WADS would i have to use for such an idea and would it be possible to import enemies from other games LIKE Doom into the WAD?

MH101 said:

What WADS would i have to use for such an idea and would it be possible to import enemies from other games LIKE Doom into the WAD?

Yes, it's possible but it would be copyright infringement. I don't think that it'd be a big deal if it was just a few textures but since the entire mod is gothic themed it'd be easier to mod Heretic or Hexen instead of Doom. Do you have a copy of either game's iwad?

i bought heretic and hexen off steam, so i dont think i have the iwads. what would be the best site to get them from?

MH101 said:

i bought heretic and hexen off steam, so i dont think i have the iwads. what would be the best site to get them from?

The Steam version has them. Look in C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common or C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common (depending on your OS).

when I said import enemies from other games, i also meant to change their sprites and, if possible, their behavior. because most of the enemies ive seen use projectile weapons and i want the enemies like werewolves and certain vampires to use melee attacks.

Also, I wanted to make it so there would be guild members that can sell some items to you

Another thing, what exact files would the IWADS (name of file) be?

MH101 said:

Another thing, what exact files would the IWADS (name of file) be?

Its kind of obvious but anyway, they're called Hexen.wad and Heretic.wad

The IWADs.

For your project, if you want to use custom monsters and weapons and Strife-style shops, your best bet would be to use ZDoom as a base, so this is going to go in your bookmarks.

are you able to put in requests for sprites like that? because i was thinking about having the starting weapon be the stake to kill vampires with.

that and more traditional vampires, but resemble those in movies like van helsing or something like that. werewolves too

when it comes to sprite work, it's every man for himself. It's very hard to find somebody that has sprite making as a hobby - I don't think I've even seen one. That's why I and many others are doing sprite work ourselves

there are some weapons available on that page, that you could perhaps use as a base and modify them to be the stake that you had in mind. They're under weapons/heretic style

you have a point haha

if you find resources like custom made monsters on Realm667's resource page, and change the sprites to some of them, does it count as copyright infringement?

oh, and by the way, the new name i thought up for the game is
V.L.A.D.(Vampires Live And Die)

Bloodletting? yeah thats a good name too. sorry if the name i just came up with might cause trouble with some groups haha