Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
kristus

QuakeCon 2012, August 2 - 5

Today is the first day of QuakeCon 2012, and with that comes the usual expectations of what id will be showing off to the public in their three-day gaming festival. It is of course expected to feature some tangible information on their upcoming Doom game. A lot of people are, as usual, expecting the regular keynote address by John Carmack, which is scheduled for this afternoon at 2:30PM (Dallas time). For more in depth information about the different planned happenings through the weekend, see the full schedule.

An official stream is as usual set up for the tournaments in Quake that are being played during the weekend. This year there's three tournaments, Duel Masters, Duel Open and CTF Open. ESReality, CSN and Jeesports have the full scoop on the competetive aspects of QuakeCon 2012. CSN will also be streaming live from the event using their own stream.

Im fairly sure that IS the revival they've been talking about.
Weird. The company behind the game is about 40km away :O

They are also the developers of Duke Nukem 3D: Reloaded. About that announcement...I still have hope for a Doom 4 annoucement because ID said on twitter "WE'll be revealing..."

ROTT...

Fastway...

omg this is the first time in years that I'll actually be waiting for a game to come out

That's actually the coolest thing I've heard in a while. Trailer... wow, it has promise.

The cameraman is RETARDED WTF. And when Todd said demonic I was shaking :( oh well there is still time.

By the way, the new voice actor seems really good, sounds promising.

I wonder if Id is working closely with Valve on the Linux Steam project. Doom 4 on Ubuntu? Yes please.

So what do you think about the new trailer/screens? I really like the voice actor in the trailer and the building in the second screenshots really reminds me of classic doom.

chungy said:

Is that Shub Niggurath?

My guess is that it's the cyberdemon before Hell rebuilt it as the cyberdemon.

EDIT: Nevermind. Just realized it doesn't have hands like the cyberdemon.

chungy said:

Is that Shub Niggurath?

It looks a fair bit like a model you can find in Doom3 RoE. It's used as a shell for one of the hell hunters. But you never really make it out while in the game.

JPL said:

I'm gonna be on a panel with Brendon Chung and Robert Duffy about id Engine Modding - and probably a fair amount of Doom modding specifically!

Very cool. :)

JPL said:

I'm gonna be on a panel with Brendon Chung and Robert Duffy about id Engine Modding - and probably a fair amount of Doom modding specifically!

http://blog.idlethumbs.net/post/27956248703/idle-thumbs-at-quakecon-2012

WOW, I'm so jealous that I can't be there but I live on the other side of the planet.

Discussions about modding would be very interesting indeed. Speaking of modding, if any of the guys from Phobos are reading this, what do you thing about showing off your mod next year or even giving the guys at Id a DVD with the game?

JPL said:

Will there be footage?

DooM_RO said:

Discussions about modding would be very interesting indeed. Speaking of modding, if any of the guys from Phobos are reading this, what do you thing about showing off your mod next year or even giving the guys at Id a DVD with the game?

Well that would definitely be cool. So far I'm not even sure they know we exist. One thing I hope they will address is how compatible Doom3 BFG is with (mods on) the original Doom3 version. To me it seems like there would be a few nice benefits from migrating to the new version and tightly integrating the mod with the two official expansion packs as well as the original game.

Touchdown said:

No DOOM 4. They are in the "Bethesda mode" and not talking about it, it'll be done when it's done.

STILL no new info on Doom 4?

This is getting very annoying :(

I was so certain that we would get at least a small sneak peak :(

It's a good thing. Don't want to know every single detail about the game before playing it - like with doom3. The game is probably still a year or two away.

Then again it's been in development for full 4 years now. Considering that:

* For the last year they've had most of the RAGE and mobile teams working on DOOM, and they'll have BFG Edition crew shortly
* They had a good start with being able to work with technology that was already used by RAGE team and thus, they could learn from their mistakes
* DOOM is meant to be a straightforward run&gun shooter, not a new IP with lots of new concepts for the company (RAGE)

It would be ridiculous if it took two more years, effectively reaching 6 years of development. Even RAGE, which came out 7 years after DOOM 3, was in development for 5 or so years when you exclude 1,5y wasted on a cancelled game (Darkness) and all the technology development. I'm actually surprised that with all those positive things they were still forced to almost desperately shift ALL the company focus to DOOM in order to sped it up.

With that said, the good thing is what you say, when we see it, it'll be basically shipping quality, not a conceptual tech demo.

Touchdown said:

Then again it's been in development for full 4 years now. Considering that:

* For the last year they've had most of the RAGE and mobile teams working on DOOM, and they'll have BFG Edition crew shortly
* They had a good start with being able to work with technology that was already used by RAGE team and thus, they could learn from their mistakes
* DOOM is meant to be a straightforward run&gun shooter, not a new IP with lots of new concepts for the company (RAGE)

It would be ridiculous if it took two more years, effectively reaching 6 years of development. Even RAGE, which came out 7 years after DOOM 3, was in development for 5 or so years when you exclude 1,5y wasted on a cancelled game (Darkness) and all the technology development. I'm actually surprised that with all those positive things they were still forced to almost desperately shift ALL the company focus to DOOM in order to sped it up.

With that said, the good thing is what you say, when we see it, it'll be basically shipping quality, not a conceptual tech demo.

True but I don't think Id is going to release it until the new consoles are launched.

DooM_RO said:

True but I don't think Id is going to release it until the new consoles are launched.

Of course they would. The tech is specially designed to work on the current gen consoles. Doesn't make any sense to move to the new ones.