Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Eregore

Egregor1 - Released!

Download at /idgames:

http://www.doomworld.com/idgames/index.php?search=1&field=filename&word=egregor1&sort=time&order=asc&page=1

This is my first official Doom WAD release! Its a temple/mid-evil themed level with a unique concept (as far as I am aware) of a 2048 size, similar to 1024 size, only 4 times larger. The main reason I chose to do the 2048 theme was because all of the levels I have built thus far have ended up becoming extra large, and because of their size, I never end up finishing them. This is a deliberate way to keep me from creating an unmanageably sized map.

Play it and leave feedback, thanks!

I only tested it in zdoom and gzdoom. I didn't provide a sky3, because its just one map that occupies slot 'map01' which only uses sky1. Besides that, the DOOM2 IWAD provides a standard sky3. I have no idea why it would do that. Maybe someone else here does??

Adding a sky3 lump gets it to start, but with a boatload of bad texture warnings, causing it to look like this. Ohwell, time to boot up gzdoom

Ribbiks said:

what port did you make this for? It seems to crash in PrBoom, says SKY3 not found

The wad's TEXTURE1 lump doesn't include the standard IWAD textures, so it'll only work properly with ports that support cumulative loading of texture lumps - like the ZDoom family.

Okay, I don't mean to be a burden here but I never actually got any feedback on this map (other than it doesn't work in any port other than zdoom, or gzdoom), so PLEASE try this map out, and tell me what you think. I am working on other maps right now as well, and feedback with this map could also help me develop these other ones as well.

Also, do I understand this correctly: I should include all of DOOM2.WAD textures in my next, updated version of EGREGOR1.WAD in order to make it compatible for all ports?

It's a miracle, my user name is finally spelled right! Oh, and this ^ is finally on /idgames.

Eregore said:

Okay, I don't mean to be a burden here but I never actually got any feedback on this map (other than it doesn't work in any port other than zdoom, or gzdoom), so PLEASE try this map out, and tell me what you think. I am working on other maps right now as well, and feedback with this map could also help me develop these other ones as well.

Also, do I understand this correctly: I should include all of DOOM2.WAD textures in my next, updated version of EGREGOR1.WAD in order to make it compatible for all ports?

You do not need to include the textures on your wad, just the TEXTURE1 and PNAMES lumps.

You do know you can get your username changed, right? :)

As for your map...it's pretty brutal. X-D I have a feeling you used quite a few Heretic textures in it, and sometimes they look a bit funny next to the Doom textures.

A.Gamma said:

You do not need to include the textures on your wad, just the TEXTURE1 and PNAMES lumps.

Ya, I've had it cleaned up since then. I was still in middle of learning when working on this first WAD.

Egregor: Formally Eregore said:

It's a miracle, my user name is finally spelled right!

I preferred Eregore to be honest...

Phml said:

Ditto. Eregore rolls off the tongue, Egregor trips and bumps.

I agree as well. Eeer-gore as opposed to Egg-gre-gore.

Will check this out and post feedback later

BloodyAcid said:

I agree as well. Eeer-gore as opposed to Egg-gre-gore.

I personally say them as Eh-reh-gore and Ee-gregor. Still it's all up for interpretation, maybe not even Eregore himself knows...

Yeah I should probably check this out too. I got WAD's to open with ZDoom by default so I don't have to go hunting for files..

EDIT: The joys of a 50kb/s download speed for the UK..deary me..

Played through it Egregor/Eregore/Eragon/Aragorn, here's some feedback:

I thought it was a pretty neat and tough level, filled with a lot of devious traps and enemies, but nothing that made me feel too distraught. Architecture is nice and natural (nothing felt bizarre), I really liked how you played around with lighting (like the dark tunnel and sewer section), and your ammo & health placement was damn near perfect, really forcing the player to scrounge around. Traps were pretty lethal too, forcing me to save after each key because I would inevitably fall to the next one. Couple of issues though:

I played in Zdoom and didn't get the second wave of enemies in the yellow key courtyard to spawn. Didn't check it in DB so I don't know what linedef triggers them, but it didn't trigger.

Also I sorely missed the SSG. Maybe I've just been conditioned by every other wad to anticipate it, but fighting through 3 revs, 2 mancs, 2 HKs and 2 arachnatrons with just the SG is the very definition of tedium. It did add a layer of depth to the map since I was forced to use my "backup" weapons like the RL and PG more than I'd like, but it also heavily punished you for using their ammo when tough spots would pop up, like the HKs that hunt you down in the tunnel right after the blue key and the archvile at the end. That archvile felt like a tad much too, since I was really low on ammo and had quite a nasty fight with him. I still made it, but it was one of those borderline frustrating moments, especially since I had 28 shells that would've happily fit into my absent double-barreled shotgun.

Other thing is that your map tended to have a lot of switches. Often when you ran into a switch, it activates a path to another switch, and then to another one. It allowed you a lot more control over the enemies, but sometimes I'd get confused running through the level about whether or not I'd hit certain switches, or what they did.

These are the biggest gripes though (well, maybe your traps require more foreknowledge to be dealt with properly, and I always dislike chaingunners sniping you from a distance). Overall I had a lot of fun, albeit "new" textures usually make me like a level more. You have a strong sense for atmosphere, architecture and enemy placement IMO, and I'm excited to see what you have brewing in your mind next. The teleport lines past the red door were perhaps my favorite thing, as it led to a very frantic and fun battle with the archvile when he teleported down into the water, instead a boring one where he dances around the ledge while I safely (and slowly) snipe him. Good job.