Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
T-Rex

IWADs you play megawads in.

I have a bunch of megawads which I specifically play on either of the three Doom 2 IWADs, Doom2, TNT, and Plutonia. While most of the wads I play, I'll use either, the ultra-hard megawads like Hell Revealed and Alien Vendetta on the other hand, I reserve them for the Plutonia IWAD.

Doom.wad (registered), the ultra-hard stuff I play on the Ultimate Doom IWAD.

EDIT - If I'm feeling especially hardcore I'll use the Chex Quest IWAD.

T-Rex said:

the ultra-hard megawads like Hell Revealed and Alien Vendetta on the other hand, I reserve them for the Plutonia IWAD.

Do note that some megawads contain custom PNAMES and TEXTURE1 lumps, which can only be used on the IWAD they were based on. Alien Vendetta may work because it changes all levels, but if you try to load an episode PWAD for Doom 2 with new textures along with Plutonia.wad, trying to run any of the IWAD maps will cause the game to abort.

T-Rex said:

I have a bunch of megawads which I specifically play on either of the three Doom 2 IWADs, Doom2, TNT, and Plutonia. While most of the wads I play, I'll use either, the ultra-hard megawads like Hell Revealed and Alien Vendetta on the other hand, I reserve them for the Plutonia IWAD.

Does it make a difference?

The only difference is that some textures (especially switches and animated textures) may look different.

As far as gameplay goes, there's no changes, but it might make the level ugly.

T-Rex said:

Huh? Why would you do that? Every megawad is designed for a particular IWAD -- almost always doom2.wad if given a choice between the 3 "Doom 2" games. Why run it on something other than the intended one? You're guaranteed to run into texture problems with TNT at least. Not sure about Plutonia off the top of my head, but why risk it?

Xaser said:

Huh? Why would you do that? Every megawad is designed for a particular IWAD -- almost always doom2.wad if given a choice between the 3 "Doom 2" games. Why run it on something other than the intended one? You're guaranteed to run into texture problems with TNT at least. Not sure about Plutonia off the top of my head, but why risk it?

I could use anyway of the PWADs on any game, but with those hard megawads like HR and Alien Vendetta, I have them on the Plutonia folder because of their difficulty. With some of the intermission texts, they make sense all the same.

"Betcha wonder just what was the hardest level we have ready for ya? Now you know. No one gets out alive..."

It is for Plutonia's Map32, but it also makes sense for HR and Alien Vendetta's Map32. Besides, I try them that way, and they work very well, the full 32-level megawads, of course.

I use Freedoom 99% of the time, but I like the Chex Quest answer. :-) Hacx might also be an interesting choice...

T-Rex said:

I could use anyway of the PWADs on any game, but with those hard megawads like HR and Alien Vendetta

I guess if they define their own textures it's okay, since they'll be built on the texture definitions from Doom II. But if they don't have TEXTURE1/PNAMES lumps, get ready for glitches.