Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Six

Blood - Possibility of a Source Port

Jace Hall, one of the original team members of the video game Blood (also known as the voice of Tchernobog himself) has made a visit to the Postmortem website to discuss the possibility of creating a source port for the game. He acknowledges the source code situation and reassures that he has permission to use it.

Here's the thread he created discussing his ideas: http://www.the-postmortem.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1889

For those who don't know, Blood is a comical-horror bassed FPS released in '97 and has been cursed by an unreleased source due to complications over the ownership over the years and whether or not it still existed. News that Jace Hall himself has it in his possession and strives to have the game ported has lifted hopes to Blood's entire fan base.

A Zdoom-like Build engine would be awesome, with a nice engine with support for modern resolutions, Directx/Opengl support and a native *NIX build, I can not wait for this. Hopefully it will not fork() into 20,000 source ports. Maybe that would be a good thing, but we need one good Zdoom styled port.

Nope, I'm not going to get my hopes up. I'll wait until I actually see it on GitHub (or whatever) with accompanying (permission) docs that validate the legal stance on the source release.

Holy hell, it was only just two days ago I was wasting my time searching around for any hint of Blood's source code ever being released but of course there was nothing new regarding it. It's awesome that there might be a chance for it to happen after all and it seems too good to be true.

vinnie245 said:

fuck yes,about time if you ask me :P

^^^

It would be fantastic if one gets made. I'll keep an eye out and see what happens

DaniJ said:

Nope, I'm not going to get my hopes up. I'll wait until I actually see it on GitHub (or whatever) with accompanying (permission) docs that validate the legal stance on the source release.

I'd share that opinion, but it seems to me he wouldn't open the source anyway, merely look into getting the code to run on modern systems and release binaries.

Pretty cool news, though I thought the guys who were making DarkXL were also going to make a Blood port (I thought), though I suppose this one could be better under the fact one of the guys from the old team is working on it with the code. Or something like that.

Ick. There's talk about how the source release wouldn't be up to Jace even if he wanted to (though hopefully fans are starting to convince him a bit :P ). I can't get excited about this if there's no source release in the works.

This would be amazing. I was hoping the Blood community would get a spark to ignite a source port, and this is exactly what it needed.

schwerpunk said:

I, for one, am very excited about getting Blood running without having to faff about in Dosbox.

Remember back when DosBox made it awesome that you didn't have to faff about on a 486 machine previously stored in your closet for 8 years? :P

Dosbox actually behaves pretty well on my Win98 machine still, but refuses to play nice with Vista or Win7. I just can't seem to eliminate that annoying mouse lag.

It feels like playing with a really dirty ball-mouse.

Anyway, Blood, heck yes.

EDIT: Soda: oh wow, did I really just confuse DOS Prompt with DOS Box? I think that's enough internet for me today...

schwerpunk said:

Dosbox actually behaves pretty well on my Win98 machine

If you're using Windows 98, why not just run the DOS program you want to directly? 9x was just a DOS shell, after all, it had excellent compatibility with DOS applications, because, well, you ARE running in DOS.

Clonehunter said:

Pretty cool news, though I thought the guys who were making DarkXL were also going to make a Blood port (I thought), though I suppose this one could be better under the fact one of the guys from the old team is working on it with the code. Or something like that.

I've temporarily put Blood support on hold for the XL Engine, though I'm still continuing to work on the "post-merger" release for the other titles.

While the first "BloodXL" release was probably about a month away, I'm in "wait and see" mode - if a true source port by one of the original team members actually happens then my efforts will just be redundant (unless the source were to be released, which seems very unlikely at this point). If Jace's port doesn't go anywhere then I'll pick it back up in the future.

Nomad said:

As long as we still get Outlaws support Lucius :D

Of course, those plans haven't changed. :) You'll see the first release with Outlaws support in about a month. From there it's not a long stretch to Beta.