Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Maddo

Doom 1 or 2?

This has probably been asked way too many times but..

Which Doom game do you prefer? I honestly prefer the first for it's levels. I find them more fun. Though I find the gameplay in Doom 2 better.

What do you guys think?

Well I've never seen the question so I'm going to say Doom 2. New monsters and more creativity in the maps with more themes.

Both are very enjoyable to play, Doom 1 has the best levels, I really enjoy episode 1 the most. John Romero's mapping is so good! Doom 2 on the other hand brings a whole new experience to Doom, new enemies and the super shotgun. Some levels in Doom 2 where horrible IMO, but still a good wad nonetheless. So yea, I'm going with you on this one. Doom 1 has better maps but Doom 2 has overall better gameplay.

I'll also say that Doom 1 has better maps whereas Doom 2 has the better gameplay. Though some of Doom 2's maps are flat out terrible I'd pick it as my favorite.

But that's out of THOSE choices. My absolute favorite Doom game is Final Doom on the PSX

david-arquette said:

My absolute favorite Doom game is Final Doom on the PSX

Can't say it's my favourite Doom game, but I do prefer the level list of PSX Final Doom to PC Final Doom by quite a margin. It cut out all of the bad levels from TNT and Plutonia and effectively replaced them with the best of the Master Levels.

Doom 1 has the strongest sense of pacing and atmosphere. Whilst we have had 18+ years to get acquainted with the items and the monsters, ther was a certain...giddiness in anticipating when you're going to find the rocket launcher or first be acquainted with various enemies. I like it when PWADs pace the length and difficulty of maps that way, too - rather than just giving the player an entire arsenal at the beginning of the game.

Doom 2's maps can drag on, but they have far more interesting tricks and combat scenarios than Doom 1, if nothing else. Personally I was never a particularly big fan of its maps until after the fact, because I was more accustomed to the leisurely feel of the first game's. When I began to play a fair share of PWADs though, I came to find the gameplay-focused style a lot more interesting.

But Doom 2 itself isn't wasn't a particularly memorable experience. For me personally, Plutonia is the token Doom 2 IWAD to play because it has both challenging gameplay and a far more interesting selection of textures and settings. I don't think I've ever even attempted to make a stock Doom 2 map - I love the Plutonia style far too much.

I prefer doom 2 not just for new content, but for levels too. I love how open all town maps are.

I prefer Doom 1, more memorable experiences and levels and music. Doom 2 does drag after a while, and tends to get a bit boring, and I hate the 'city' levels more or less because of the texture choices that pull on me or something.

I can't decide between these two really because they're both really fun to play. Doom/The Ultimate Doom has the classic Doom feeling with the original monsters while Doom 2 introduces new monsters including the Icon of Sin. There's also the Super Shotgun in Doom 2 which is my favorite bullet weapon in the game.

Man they both have some real good stuff in each of them and it makes it hard to decide.

I'd prefer Doom 1 for the good map designs and pretty much all of Romero's maps, but Doom 2 for the most fun. But both are even IMO.

If I could only own one it would be Doom 2 because of the extra monsters, the SSG and the PWADs made for it.

I think Ultimate Doom has the edge on levels, just. The worst ones in Doom 2 certainly outstink the worst ones in Doom and there's not much between the two games for the best levels.

I think there's a difference in tone between the two sets. Doom gives me an impression of a horror adventure, while Doom 2 feels more run-and-gun and action orientated.

BloodyAcid said:

Doom 2, since I played that first.

Same here. And I like Doom 2 maps more than anything in E2 and E3 (and E4).