Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
NiTROACTiVE

2 Slade3 Questions

I have two questions about the Doom Editor Slade3.

First of all, is there a way to automatically sort the entries? I mean, look at they entries in my WAD:

As you can see they're not so well sorted and I also had some entries mixed in with the map lump entries that I manually got out of there. I also try to click on the tabs that say Name, Size and Type but they don't do anything to sort the entries. I think the reason that they all got mixed up was that I pasted graphics when I only had the graphic entries and nothing else showed and did the same for the music. So is there a way to automatically sort entries in Slade3 or not?

Second off, how do you recolor graphics professionally the easy way in Slade3? When I try to do it, I don't do so well. I know that Gez can do a professional job because by looking at this post of his he sometimes finds color changing addicting. So how can I recolor graphics easily?

If you can help me with these questions then please do so.

1. If there is a sort function then I have not found it. And I hope I never will, unless it will be an option which I can turn off.
What I have done to make the entries stand out a bit more, is to make new icons

2. As to professionally colouring, I am pretty sure that it was done with Photoshop.

Kappes Buur said:

1. If there is a sort function then I have not found it. And I hope I never will, unless it will be an option which I can turn off.
What I have done to make the entries stand out a bit more, is to make new icons

OK, but how do I make custom icons like you did?

Icons are in the icons subfolder:

Slade3_1337 --> res --> icons

They are png images of 16 x 16 in size.
If you want to change them, then use something like Paint.net.
Be aware of transparency bits, though.

I changed 12 of them.

NitroactiveStudios said:

First of all, is there a way to automatically sort the entries?

Not yet, but it's planned.

NitroactiveStudios said:

Second off, how do you recolor graphics professionally the easy way in Slade3? When I try to do it, I don't do so well.

Not all graphics are easily recolored like that sky. I used the "Colour Remap" feature for those, and thankfully they were easy to translate since the sky itself was nicely in a single continuous range. There are graphics where it's not the case, for example inspired by this post I looked at MWALL4_1 (not 4_2, Springy!) and the green marble is all over the place (green, olive, grey, brown, light brown, etc.) and the red paint is likewise not just red. With such an image, you'll have better luck with the Tint or Colourize tools, but they'll make the image monochrome.

So for complex manipulations, you'll still need to use some generic image manipulation program.

For sorting stuff, you could use the lump filtering popup menu at the bottom of the lump list to separate out a certain type of data (like music), and select them and use Cut. Then set it to show all lumps again, and Paste them where you want them. Now all your music lumps are together.

Kappes Buur said:

@NitroactiveStudios

which port are you mapping for ?

I'm mapping for the classic Doom II, so this means there are no ZDoom/Skulltag elements except for the MAPINFO lump (which isn't really needed to play the WAD in any other source port besides ZDoom, GZDoom or Skulltag).

Kappes Buur said:

Okay, you are mapping for DOOM2 format.
And using the ZDoom port ?

I haven't tried this with DOOM2 format, so I'm not certain if the pk3 structure, to keep everything in order, would work.
Might be worth a try.

http://zdoom.org/wiki/Using_ZIPs_as_WAD_replacement

That looks interesting and I might try it out if I get the chance. And yes, I use the ZDoom port to test my WAD.