Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Craigs

No facebook? You're a mass murderer

Achtung, Hitler was not on a social network -well, other than being the head of the Nazi party, that is.

One Daily Mail reader said not using Facebook was simply a "sign that you are a normal human being who is very happy with the social network they have and do not feel the need to be constantly telling your 'friends' every inane thought and action you have".

The words of a true sociopath.

I can sort of see the correlation but if employers actually take having or not having a Facebook into account when hiring then that's just sad. If you have one, then you might post something that will be taken out of context years from now and affect your employment even though it has nothing to do with your work performance. If you don't, then apparently you're an antisocial psycho now.

Oh, should I be posting this online?

If they added Facebook integration to Doom I might use Facebook, then.

Actually, strike that; I'd probably go straight to mass murderer.

Craigs said:

ok

And with 955 million people logging into Facebook each month compared to seven billion people in the world, it seems unlikely that more than 85 per cent of the planet will turn out to be psychopath.

This from the article seems to completely negate your subject point, along with everything else in the article really. Most of it seemed to be pretty scathing of stupid opinions appearing in the wake of terrible events. So what was the point of this thread again? That you didn't actually read the article you linked? Why do that?

Quast said:

ok

And with 955 million people logging into Facebook each month compared to seven billion people in the world, it seems unlikely that more than 85 per cent of the planet will turn out to be psychopath.

This from the article seems to completely negate your subject point, along with everything else in the article really. Most of it seemed to be pretty scathing of stupid opinions appearing in the wake of terrible events. So what was the point of this thread again? That you didn't actually read the article you linked? Why do that?

Who said I was trying to make a point? It just seemed pretty entertaining and I thought I'd share it.

Really, this has zero to do with Facebook itself, and more to do with being asocial in general. Not that I know of any causal link between being asocial and being a psychopath, but there is definitely a correlation. You may as well blame a fascination with firearms, for all the sense that makes.

The link is stronger when you speak of depression (which the article mentions), but again; not Facebook.

In my opinion, the psychopaths that do the most harm are the ones that are outwardly glib and social.

I'm insulted that my insanity is being attributed to something as silly as lack of Facebook. How uncreative. :(

What I'm curious about is what about those who have an account out of necessity, but don't use it publicly? That is, using it as a private channel of communication with friends, but never posting stuff on your wall.

Sodaholic said:

What I'm curious about is what about those who have an account out of necessity, but don't use it publicly? That is, using it as a private channel of communication with friends, but never posting stuff on your wall.

Remember back in the old days when we used to use instant messenger?

Technician said:

Yeah. :P I always use IM when I can over FB, but there are some people I know that can't be arsed to get an IM client.

Technician said:

Feh, whippersnappers. IRC was where it's at.

(Heheh I remember back when I used IRC for one-to-one conversations frequently for many people.)

If you both have shell accounts (or personal *nix box), you could just:
$ talk user@host

It's more fun than IRC because you can see the words being typed, instead of waiting for them to hit Enter. If you're on the same host you can even just "write" them (so long as their shell has messages enabled), but that quickly gets old if you're trying to have long conversations...

schwerpunk said:

Really, this has zero to do with Facebook itself, and more to do with being asocial in general. Not that I know of any causal link between being asocial and being a psychopath, but there is definitely a correlation. You may as well blame a fascination with firearms, for all the sense that makes.

The link is stronger when you speak of depression (which the article mentions), but again; not Facebook.

In my opinion, the psychopaths that do the most harm are the ones that are outwardly glib and social.

Fuck that, just because I'm introverted and don't use Facebook to its best (posting lots of photos and being popular) doesn't mean I'm a sociopath. Not everyone is extreme, fitting into one of the two labels.

Also, why should employers care about Facebook and not about, say, LinkedIn?

printz said:

Also, why should employers care about Facebook and not about, say, LinkedIn?

Because if they can find one little thing to not hire you, or if you are already an employee, let you go, they can and will.

People tend to put really, really stupid shit on their facebook pages. If it's not duckface pics, it's their drug and bong collection...or their handgun and knife collections.

hex11 said:

It's more fun than IRC because you can see the words being typed, instead of waiting for them to hit Enter.

Wow, that's like letting others read your thoughts. I wouldn't want to do that.

I actually use facebook to have a convenient list of people I'm going to murder. Woohahahaha !!!!!

j4rio said:

I actually use facebook to have a convenient list of people I'm going to murder. Woohahahaha !!!!!

And your boss is at the very top

hex11 said:

It's more fun than IRC because you can see the words being typed, instead of waiting for them to hit Enter. If you're on the same host you can even just "write" them (so long as their shell has messages enabled), but that quickly gets old if you're trying to have long conversations...

does anyone remember WinChat? that showed anything you typed in real time as well. it was awesome for LAN cooping if you weren't within hearing range, but it was even better for real time super fast insulting of your friends.

oh and regarding facebook, i have it, but i don't use it. they won't see it coming when i go into action!

If there was any merit to this theory, then facebook users (an allegedly non-mass murdering minority) should have already been wiped out by a mass-murdering majority which outnumbers them 9 to 1.

It also means that anyone too poor to afford wasting his time in pointless shit like Zynga points or living in a country not advanced enough to have any sort of affordable consumer-level WWW access is a mass murderer by definition *looks at Africa*.

This also makes the majority of North Korea's population mass murderers (except, perhaps, their leaders, which certainly do have full Internet access, but not faceshit accounts, for obvious reasons).

Yeah, a very sound theory.

Considering that I have otherwise very asocial tendencies, it must be a good thing that I do in fact have a Facebook account.

Even if the last time I did anything other than stalking with it was last year.