Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Memfis

Post your first map (or remake it from memory)

I thought it would be interesting if people showed their very first maps. Come on, post your square room with 1000 cyberdemons! ;)

I made my first map in 2007 using Linux editor Yadex. Sadly I don't have it anymore but here is a recreation of it, which I think is very close to the original. Download.

First ever version of drown in blood map01 from 2004: die-test2.wad (needs inf ammo)

I tried mapping in the late 90's and early 2000's but it was way too complicated and I couldn't understand it. Then in 2004 I downloaded doom builder and read through Dr. Sleep's doom builder guide and finally started to understand and could at least make a sector.

First published map(s) - I have an older one or two but I can't remember where they were, and were for ultimate doom anyway. I'm not sure why I thought naming that was a good idea. You can kinda tell my tendency for slaughter maps started pretty early by the end of map2.

The 1st map of Rebirth ia an almost exact replication of the very first map I made. Unfortunately I lost the original along with 5 other maps in a HD crash :(

Noob project =P

It had turned into a series, all five wads (which stretched from 2006 to 2008) pretty much being a time capsule indicating little things I learned along the way.

Also something few people probably know (or care about), is that I actually remade my first map as map 2 of hyfrag or hybrid.wad, which is why it is called "return to origin".

The original (2006):
http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q17/Kassman_01/FirstMap.png

The remake (2008):
http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q17/Kassman_01/LaterMap.png

Lost long ago. I suppose I could rebuild it, it was called pools.wad and it was awful. A few of my oldest surviving wads are already on the archive, from 1996.

Haha thanks, that map made me the king of my highschool nerd fiefdom for a time.

Basically the only attempt to do something serious was some sort of holy hell inspired thingie which I never had motivation to work on and left it after doing 2 rooms. It's hard to do something with imagination level of absolute zero. Maybe someday.

http://filesmelt.com/dl/holyhelltribute.wad

I can't even remember my first map, or my second. I can remember some old maps I did, but they definitely were not the first or the second. My first attempts were probably a few rooms with a few monsters in them. Back then I had many failed attempts which were deleted soon after building them. I do remember an old map I did when I was getting a bit more experienced with mapping. I could try to rebuild that since I still remember the most important bits. It was the first map I made that offered some gameplay fun.

http://mekworx.the-powerhouse.net/salamandastron/

This was my 3rd or 4th map I made after a couple of years messing with Doom Builder in my spare time. It's the oldest finished map I still have. I lost all of the other maps although I still have the hard drive where they once were. I would like to try and recover them somehow but I don't really know where to start. I think the other maps were way more interesting (not better, just interesting :P) and I really wish I still had them.

I've thought about remaking that map in some grand fashion. Maybe for Supplice or something. I don't think I have enough memory of the other maps to remake them to their fullest.

I remember my first and only two maps I made. I made them in 1997 in DCK on my parents old Pentium 75 MHz. The first one was a simple test map with one octagonal room and one of each weapon, item and monster placed and an exit switch. The second was a recreation of my parents house. There were no monsters and the only weapons placed was the shotgun and the chainsaw because my parents doesn't have the other weapons. :) However the map didn't run due to vpo. They should still be on my parents old computer together with my other old programming projects and other misc stuff, last time I heard, the HDD was still intact. Maybe I should try and put it on-line someday out of historical interest or what do you think, lol.

These are my first 8 maps, made in 99-00 with a shareware version of wadauthor. I had a bugfixed version that I made in 2009 or something but it's nowhere to be found on any of my hard drives. I had to fix some small stuff to make this version playable, but there's still some bugs and glitches left.

It's not very good, but it's at least playable.

http://www.mediafire.com/?aapgwrnbhfip166

It's for doom2

Actually, some really neat looking maps on here.

Alright, never released this one, but here it is. ACIDTEST.WAD:

Port:ZDoom
IWAD:Doom

Download link for anyone interested in trying it out.

I am super-thankful I don't even have my first WAD to submit here. It was ambitious (an escape from a prison? Fuck yeah!) but ultimately linear-as-hell, every texture was misaligned (plus some very strange choices) and only had working doors -- I didn't know how to tag stuff. It did contain a secret (and also misaligned) teleport because Vanilla Doom made 0-tag teleporters work somehow.

Terrible.

Map12 of Techwars.

It had TNT Map02's music, but other than that, that is my actual first map. Well, without the "new monsters".

Of course I had some experiments with square rooms and cyberdemons with horrible texturing, but it got lost 2 computers ago.

On another note - Techwars 2 is never coming out. :(

My first level

Although the timestamp on the wad says 26/11/95, I made this around November/December 1994. The timestamp was changed because I added CWILV00 later on to change the level name on the intermission screen. Back then I had to cut out the letters from the original Doom level names to make an alphabet and then paste them together to make a new name! Fun times....

I had just gotten a shovelware CD called Doom Explosion and I only had the shareware version of Doom (1.2). On the CD was a program called Geoff Allan's DoomEd, which worked in Windows 3.1. It let you modify for the shareware, which of course wasn't allowed even at that time. All I had to do to trick the editor was rename my shareware IWAD from DOOM1.WAD to DOOM.WAD. WadEd used to work on shareware as well, but without the renaming I think.

So you won't find a thousand Cybies here or Cacos or cells or BFGs, not even Beserks, just strictly Episode 1 textures and things, because that's all I had to work with! I didn't even know what those new enemies/items were at that time! Doom was pretty simple then.

Note on gameplay: I made the cardinal sin of putting a key to advance in a secret, so I'll tell you that the secret door is opposite the window south of the yellow key door.

The first level I ever made (for Doom, because Doom 2 was not yet out) was a dark maze of 64-width corridors, stocked with imps, troopers and the occasional demon. The only weapon was a berserk pack.

I no longer have a copy, though it is probably still on idgames somewhere. Honestly though, you really don't want to play it :)

DOOMED! :D

You're lucky. My first was the thing that ended up that MAP01 of SHiTWADS, and I guarantee that the only reason it has more than one sector is because two was the minimum. :P