Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Reisal

[Resolved] Issues removing Text-Enhance

Yea I don't know how I got this crap but I am at my wit's end attempting to remove this irritant in Firefox, even used remote assistance to see if he can help.

Does anyone know how to kill this without resorting to a reformat?

Mr. T said:

Here is a site that will help you:
http://www.apple.com/mac/

So the Firefox on mac does not also use text enhance? What are the other vast differences in Firefox that are only available on the mac?

This is the much more useful snarky remark,
https://www.google.com/#hl=en&sugexp=cpbsh&gs_nf=1&tok=LfwE3TFbwFAr_v98-U8QTA&cp=14&gs_id=76&xhr=t&q=firefox+text+enhance&pf=p&sclient=psy-ab&oq=firefox+text+e&gs_l=&pbx=1&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_qf.&fp=f9b82dc7ac0b685c&biw=1024&bih=627

If it's link advertising spam, have you tried adding text-enhance.com, intellitxt.com and vibrantmedia.com to your hosts file?

Yes, I added it to HOSTS file, Adblock and even the block list for Flash, still got bullshit. I just reformatted my C drive and starting afresh, will use Chrome again.

@Mr. T: FU :V

(Note: :V is a sarcastic face)

What is this thread about?!

Note: I think I understand what is text-enhance (a spyware), but I don't know jack shit what these guys are replying here. Why the link to Mac products? Why the link to a Google search that simply redirects me to the Google home page? What is HOSTS (I might look that up but still...)?

Also reformatting sounds tragic unless you keep all your data in an online backup :( What if you inadvertently catch the spyware again?!

That google searched links to "firefox text enhance" it is apparently a codec for an extension or add-on. Removing the extension or add-on usually fixes it for people. Clearing cookies and adding exceptions also commonly comes up. I am going to assume his google is broken due to the crappy text program. There are a few various ways people have gotten rid of this. Someone even suggested spybot.

This looks like a method that would comprehensive enough.
http://botcrawl.com/how-to-remove-text-enhance/

printz said:

Also reformatting sounds tragic unless you keep all your data in an online backup :( What if you inadvertently catch the spyware again?!

Agreed, that's a bit drastic without a backup and re-infection is so easy enough when malware is bundled with freeware.

Catoptromancy said:

That google searched links to "firefox text enhance" it is apparently a codec for an extension or add-on. Removing the extension or add-on usually fixes it for people. Clearing cookies and adding exceptions also commonly comes up. I am going to assume his google is broken due to the crappy text program. There are a few various ways people have gotten rid of this. Someone even suggested spybot.

From what I've read, there was a cookie-based opt-out for Text-Enhance though the server's been down for about 9 months.

This looks like a method that would comprehensive enough.
http://botcrawl.com/how-to-remove-text-enhance/

Bookmarked for future reference.

printz said:

Why the link to Mac products?

He's trying to imply that if you get a Mac you'll never have computer problems again and you'll never get constipated and all your financial problems will just melt away. 'Cause Apple is magic like that.

Krispy said:

He's trying to imply that if you get a Mac you'll never have computer problems again and you'll never get constipated and all your financial problems will just melt away. 'Cause Apple is magic like that.

If you buy a Mac you will end up with financial problems because you'd have spent everything just to get it!

Krispy said:

Well, I'm quite happy with mine, but it's not such a gigantic step from my other computers to be a must-have. I hope I'll always have one Mac(Book) by me though, they're fun.

printz said:

Note: I think I understand what is text-enhance (a spyware), but I don't know jack shit what these guys are replying here. Why the link to Mac products? Why the link to a Google search that simply redirects me to the Google home page?

People are responding with sarcasm to Mr. Chris' dilemma. Are you baked or something?

GhostlyDeath said:

If you buy a Mac you will end up with financial problems because you'd have spent everything just to get it!

Good point.

GreyGhost said:

From what I've read, there was a cookie-based opt-out for Text-Enhance

Some of the sites mention that opt-out does nothing and may actually make it worse. It is annoying adware and opting out just lets it know that you know it exists and is active on that machine. It will become self aware soon and there will be no turning back.

Catoptromancy said:

It will become self aware soon and there will be no turning back.

At which point I'll blow the dust off my Amiga 3000 and use that for Web browsing.

Update!

Ended up formatting the C drive yesterday afternoon around 12:30 - 1:00 PM, which wasn't that bad since I copied most of my stuff to my terabyte drive. Install/reformat took less than 20 minutes but it took me all day up to around 7-8pm installing a number of applications I had on there as well as Windows updates.

Speaking of this shitty malware, I looked EVERYWHERE on the specific drive directories for the files, which I could not find even with remote assistance with a friend who still could not find the precise source of it. I had no extra plugins added to Firefox and I suspect that I may have downloaded a plugin from a not-so nice place by mistake which caused it.

I am all good now and game-ready, and back on Google Chrome as neither IE nor Chrome had this bullshit on it.

hex11 said:

Is that a stock A3000?

Not quite. It has 8Meg of fast RAM, a second floppy drive, larger hard drive and a GVP IV24 video card. The previous owner had also installed a `040 CPU card which unfortunately was dead when he sold the system to me.

Mr. Chris said:

Update!

I am all good now and game-ready, and back on Google Chrome as neither IE nor Chrome had this bullshit on it.

It's not FF's fault you install crapware plugins, Lmao!