Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Shaikoten

32in24-12 - It is here. Ready your buns... for burgers.

dew said:
IvanDobrovski - Eye of the Tiger

hmm, this should be really really fast paced. your idea with so many green armors will be interesting to watch in the testing session. i hope it works, athough i have a pinch of doubt. what does look dangerous is the easy shortcut if one makes it out of the flagroom - jump to soulsphere, jump on your lift, run into teleport and you're home. it seems too fast (even though i like the onesided teleport otherwise). how about putting that soulsphere platform lower so you can't jump to the elevators from it? well, without rocketjumping at least. :P
[/B]

Yeah that was what I aimed with the map, a really fast paced gameplay. The green armors should make it a colorful match too, since the base has so many spawns near the flag. The thing with soulsphere and fast runs were actually intended too, but there's a cool thing ! Your mid can constantly lower the enemy elevator and you will miss the jump because of it. It's a pretty cool thing to have IMO and I can't wait for testing it as well ! (You can also RJ out of flag room, or use the lifts at corners to jump to the window to make it even faster)

jesus lord my map is way at the end of the line. wish I could have gotten in on this sooner but I was preoccupied with other plans. Oh well, at least I got one map in. Hopefully it gets a good review too.

40oz said:

jesus lord my map is way at the end of the line. wish I could have gotten in on this sooner but I was preoccupied with other plans. Oh well, at least I got one map in. Hopefully it gets a good review too.

eh. map order will change, most likely

IvanDobrovski said:

Your mid can constantly lower the enemy elevator and you will miss the jump because of it.

i'm worried it will be too fast-paced for even that, but perhaps the playtesting session will prove me wrong!

RESUBMITTING MINE/STEWBOY'S MAP I'm Okay, Zero or whatever it's called
same music, same sky

http://www.mediafire.com/?sgnno51yxs6i4cb

it needs some fixes before it's playable. i started fixing the weird staircase by the flag on the blue side but didn't finish. that needs to be finished and then duplicated on the red side but i need to get up in 5 hours and then drive 8 hours so i am going to sleep. also the hanging lights in the flag room need to be aligned properly. ALSO in the room with the little lanterns on the pedastals, one of the sides has some rock ceiling detail that the other doesn't have. forgot to fix that.

screenies

really basic detail job but it was rushed, so eh

i apologize for the slow pace i've been "processing" maps. lack of time and energy. :/

ArmouredBlood/Tango - Water Defecation Facility

lovely looking map, but it has some layout flaws. first of all, the flagroom is so hopelessly a one-way ride it makes conquering russia in winter look easy. there should be something like a teleporter on a lift/behind those decorative doors in the flagrooms that'd lead to a paired teleporter in that dark unused corridor. that'd open it up a bit. more de-choking: i think there should be a small crate to allow jumping from sectors 194/517 to the ssg above in two jumps, or something. on the other hand sector 478 seems just too advantageous to use. i know there will be a lot of fighting on it, but i'd make it more awkward right in the middle to slow anyone using it. like a crate that'd make you watch your step. we'll see tomorrow how that super-open mid works. minor issue: sector 427 should have a fence on top to explain why you can't rj over it. :P

40oz - I've got two words for you and they're not happy birthday

i like this... it's rather spacious and the paths are far enough to give runners a lot of freedom, but it's not trivial to steal the flag. one feature idea: you can jump over to that glowing platform (sectors 104 and 182 and their symmetric counterparts), but the jump is quite tough with the low ceiling. it'd be a good place for some "bonus" item - i'm thinking a rocket launcher. that would possibly allow some cool rocket jumps to the flag level (offensive and defensive both!) without the fear of too much rocket spam - there's enough space around and if you don't place any rocket ammo, you're safe. if you like the idea, you might need to block some architecture alcoves you dont want to be rj'd to, though (sectors like 19, 22, etc).

Whoo - Generica

a bfg map, finally! the BAs are overpowered, just lose them entirely, the GAs should be enough. the blue's BFG platform has non-blocking fences and it's kinda funny, because it means much more bfg and probably much crazier pace. you absolutely must get rid of the plasmas though. it's not a good idea to have both cell weapons in ctf maps. we'll see how those weird shaped bases work, but i like the possibility of passing the flag through the flagroom fence, heh heh. (you grab it, jump to the fence, die... and then your teammate can grab it from the other side)

Watermelon - Cereal Crates

two things: that slow elevator makes the sewer way only useful for running away, it's terrible for incoming attacks. this will only become more obvious in combination with the second problem - rockets might be too powerful in those tight corridors, so three usable routes might be necessary for runners.

Processingcontrol - Right Angle of Destiny

ok, you have those teleports placed right, but do not connect them base2base like that. set the teleporter destinations just around mid, this way you're helping too much. i'd say drop the player in the RL room of the home base.

The Green Herring - Go to Hell, Do Not Collect $200

a fortress collision (zdctf map01, one of the simplest, yet most popular maps ever) sort of map, it might be fun. a green armor in each base might be in order. the colours are a bit garish, the red/blue theme doesn't need to be that on the nose. i'm wondering what would happen if there were thin fast lifts to those RLs from mid, you know, so there's more than one way in.

ClonedPickle - A Complete Disregard of All That You Love

hahahaha... impossible to improve (because it's perfect?), moving on.

Esselfortium - Seclatus

wow, this looks like a greenwar map mirrored and made into a ctf map... very interesting! everything seems to have good angles and sizes, just replace BAs with soulspheres, they're less powerful (you still get GA/no damage reduction and you can't pick medkits for a while). a bonus fistbump for radsuits in a ctf map.

So once again, does anyone want to finish my map on Sunday?

Sorry for posting so much about it (hope I don't sound like a Brandon D. Lade :P ), but I'd be very disappointed if the version in the finished wad was only half detailed and didn't have any testing input.

Time of Death - The Tooters

err, this just isn't a CTF map, it's a RJ map with some CTF items in it. :P the RJ is almost impossibly hard when considering the enemy team is shooting at you - for me. most people won't ever get up that structure even in soloplay. :P

Xaser - Kingdom of Naughty Aeronautics

woah, this is beautiful. i have no idea how it'll play, but i'm looking forward to testing it.

Xaser - WTF CTF

okay, this feels too claustrophobic. the hallways are too narrow and long and boring. they prolly need to be both wider AND interconnect at least twice on each side!

Stewboy/Tango - Thanks Zero. I'm Okay

i tested the detailed version and it had a 0-length linedef bug and showed some HOMs, though that might have been caused by obsolete tex pack on my side. anyways... the detailed version puts the elevators further back into the wall, which leads to not being able to jump on the flag platform - please fix this! you can keep the elevator where it is if you raise the ceiling over it. remove any cell ammo on the map, 200 cells just from the weapon should be more than enough. also please put at least a symbolic fence on map borders so people (me) don't try to rjump there.

Dusk - Green Vaults

heh, what's with the backpacks? anyways, i'd probably go with the BA instead of soulsphere, exactly because it's stronger - the map's a grind with just one way flagrooms.

Dusk - Flag Island

this map probably won't end up in any competition, but it does look charming. might be good fun for pub/casual games.

Kassman - Mudman Wonderland

what a weird map. i'd put an armor or a soulsphere on top of those winding stairs where a medkit lies now. that's just not interesting enough. :P also i think you got your thoughts on that teleporter mixed up - the red one gives you plasma while the blue one teleports you to the enemy base (or the other way). this should be consistent on both sides.

TheMionicDonut - Obvious Filler Map

this map confuses me. i think it will end up feeling too mazey and hard to conquer.

Last WAD update before Nitro.

http://www.speedyshare.com/7SWpP/32in24-12-TestingVersion1C.zip

Here's a more peaceful update! This time...

• "This Aggression Will Not Stand, Man" now has impassible linedefs blocking all access to the cliffs, to prevent people from hiding up there.
  • "Green Vaults" and "Flag Island" now have their correct sky textures.
  • Tango's updated "Thanks Zero. I'm Okay" has been added, and modified so that both bases have the same double staircases.
See you on Odamex Nitro!

Hey, wait a minute...

dew said:

Kassman - Mudman Wonderland

[...] also i think you got your thoughts on that teleporter mixed up - the red one gives you plasma while the blue one teleports you to the enemy base (or the other way). this should be consistent on both sides.

http://www.speedyshare.com/uwySZ/32in24-12-TestingVersion1D.zip

Aaaaaand we have an emergency update because Kassman screwed the pooch! His level "Mudman Wonderland" has been fixed so that the blue team's teleporter doesn't teleport you into the other team's base anymore. Sincere apologies for making the Odamex team have to use another update so soon after the previous!

Bumping to let you all know that the retouch session is LIVE, Odamex Nitro server is still running, anyone who played in Nitro can please leave any comments on maps in here, and you are free to modify any and all maps!

Please base all changes off of the most recent version of the testing wad, do not use your old copies--just in case something was already fixed and not in the original.

Here's what I remember from nitro.

MAP08 "Look! Wood Textures!" needs some red and blue colors to make it easier to see what base you're in.
MAP11 "Scary Flaggers and Nice Sprites" could use some cover in the outdoor section.
Player starts on the conveyor belt in MAP13 "Bridge to Nowhere" aren't very enjoyable.
MAP14 "Danny Tamberelli's Manboobs" feels a bit bigger than it should be, if you can shrink everything a little bit it should be better. I did enjoy playing it in its current form though
MAP16 "Late in Britland" has some crates in the blue base that aren't present in the red base and nobody could figure out how those pillars work.
The flag switch in MAP17 "Close Friends!" was hard to find. Most people rocketjumped to the flag.
MAP21 "Meatwad Goes to the Super Bowl" has red spawns in the blue base.
You can jump over the barriers in MAP24 "Generica". I'm not sure this is intended.
Both conveyor belts in MAP26 "Right Angle of Destiny" go towards the blue base.
The paths in the middle of MAP31 "Kingdom of Naughty Aeronautics" could be wider.
MAP33 "Thanks Zero. I'm Okay." has big HOM/texture bleeds going down the stairs to both bases
MAP34 "Obvious Filler Map" had everyone completely lost. You need to make it more obvious where you need to go and the lifts should be much faster.
I don't understand why MAP37 "Mudman Wonderland" has player starts in the middle of a pit. There must be a better place to put them.

edit: Here's the finished version of my map, changed some items and added a teleporter
http://www.mediafire.com/?n5gu7rbvux9z0ef
It's too small for proper games but hopefully fun anyway. It's on MAP05

A picture
http://i.imgur.com/2eivH.png

nub_hat mentioned just about everything I was going to point out, except for this staircase on Hamburglar Hill, which is really hard to get up. The angle should really be facing 'out' rather than 'in' on those rocks, so there's more space to hit the first step. Great map otherwise, of course. ;)

Fun stuff, all! Highlights for me were Grey Mainstream Map, Hamburglar Hill, and Not Happy Birthday, though there were other cool ones in odd or goofy ways (Right Angle of Destiny, Mark It Zero) and I had to sit out a few promising ones (Seclatus in particular).

so yay, 32in24

A few very brief thoughts on some maps:

10: I really like the bases but the middle should change. Instead of the gigantic rock structure with two separate sides, perhaps a row of lava with one or two bridges. The way it is now makes it very hard to know which way someone is going with your flag.

13: I think you should choose between the conveyor belts and the plasma (hint: choose the belts!) I really do think the map is too small to have plasma. Maybe some rocket launchers, but I would be perfectly fine with all SSG.

14: Way too big, 5x smaller at least, oh my god, etc etc.

19: Really enjoyed this map, although I think with the number of ways out of each base the sphere is overkill. You don't want to give too many advantages, especially with the ring outside the main bases.

20: Are all the spawns in the flagroom? If so, I think this is a bad idea. I could be wrong but I do remember only spawning in there. You can easily die and then respawn very far behind the runner, making it impossible to catch him. If you haven't already, make some spawns near the SSG's at the entrance of each base. In fact I would stay away from spawns directly in the flagroom all together.

Overall I had fun, although like dew mentioned in the other thread the timelimit should have been lower for some of the larger maps. Having 2 servers full at the same time was pretty cool, and I grabbed some screenshots (#1, #2, #3, #4). Looking forward to next week and seeing what you guys change!

The bouncing floor bug has already been fixed in my upcoming update to the level, plus I was there when the bug happened (as you can see in the messages on the screen), but thank you for reporting it anyway.

The Green Herring said:

The bouncing floor bug has already been fixed in my upcoming update to the level, plus I was there when the bug happened (as you can see in the messages on the screen), but thank you for reporting it anyway.

Sorry. I wasn't sure how clear I was and it's hard to read the chat with a rapid killfeed.

Processing Control: map26 has a couple of hiding spots that probably shouldn't be enter-able... http://imgur.com/h0r1d

https://www.dropbox.com/s/gxrbhonf2uyv7j7/map20.wad

I've made small detailing to the map and I probably won't edit it any further unless there's a crucial bug or unless the map is too ugly or something.

Changes :

* Replaced the SuperShotguns on the outside of flag room with Shotguns.
* Added detail to middle of the bases, added some more flags.
* Fixed a bad angle on one of the red spawns.

Hopefully it should be better now.

HumanBones said:

19: Really enjoyed this map, although I think with the number of ways out of each base the sphere is overkill. You don't want to give too many advantages, especially with the ring outside the main bases.

[/b]Ooh, that's my map! I think I may change the sphere to either green armor or a berserk, though I'll most likely go for the former. Alongside Dew's suggestion, I'm cutting back some of the walls and sticking the torches into the wall.

Someone also said that there were too many lifts in the map.

HumanBones said:

#1, #2,. Looking forward to next week and seeing what you guys change!

dat first place

So, here is the update to my 30-minute rush job, which gives the map a makeover so it no longer looks like a 30-minute rush job. ;) As per dew's suggestions, I also added green armor to each team's base and added thin lifts to the rocket launchers to provide alternate entrances into each base. Finally, the bouncing floor bug discussed in a previous post was fixed.

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/6650582/32in24-12/32in24-12_TGH2_updated.zip

Title: Go to Hell, Do Not Collect $200
Update Time: ~6 hours
Music: "Walking On the Edge" from Castlevania (NES), arranged by Tsu Ryu (https://dl.dropbox.com/u/6650582/32in24-12/cv1s4.mid)

Here's the final update on my map, unless there's an overwhelming opposition towards the layout etc

http://www.mediafire.com/?aksqamn5ak5cakv

Changes:
-replaced sphere with armor
-made center lifts faster
-made it easier to enter the lifts when going up the stairs (made it 64px wider)
-pushed the torches into the wall
-a few misc changes here and there

those changes work like magic, guys!

also zap, your map suddenly feels much more vertical, haha. also now you can cross the mid really fast by jumping on those bookstands, awesome! the bookstand borders around the mid might be too high, they hide players entirely. can they be just "waist"-high? or much more revealing with just some completely obscuring parts?

And here's the updated version of my other level. I was going for a semi-classic theme with this level (IWAD textures and aesthetic but more refined), so I didn't do much to the looks in this level besides smoothing out the rock walls a little, and fixing minor texturing errors and inconsistencies. As for gameplay, the players I fought with and against on this level on Nitro seemed to enjoy this level, so all I did was add health bonuses alongside the inner walls of the canyons (suggested by dew over IRC) and make the highest canyons impassible (just in case).

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/6650582/32in24-12/32in24-12_TGH1_updated.zip

Title: The Battle of Snake Canyon
Update Time: ~1 hour
Music: Duke Nukem II E1M2 Theme, remixed by Jay Reichard

http://www.speedyshare.com/dX2G9/HHill01.wad

Hamburglar Hill
Update time: ~20 minutes

Updates:
Stairs near plutonia rocks now point outwards
Flag room chokes operate together on one switch
Fixed an overhead arch on the red side that makes a running jump impossible, unbalancing gameplay.
Dynamic lighting!

http://speedy.sh/HqcMV/filler03.wad

Obvious Filler Map:
Update time: ~85 minutes

Updates:
Wall detail. Lots of wall detail.
Teleporter lifts time and speed changed
added Plasma gun to tele lifts.
Floor detail (NO HEIGHT VARIATIONS THOUGH!) to give some sense of direction

No current updates to Splatterday Night, pending further testing. May be moving a few things though.

Okay, fixed up both of mine:

http://ionline.vectec.net/doom/xa-32in24-12.zip
http://ionline.vectec.net/doom/xa-32in24-12_2.zip

Aeronautics has slightly wider stairways so hopefully mid won't be so clusterfargy. Bit of visual tweaks, but nothing major required, thankfully. Should be final unless someone finds a glitchbug.

WTF CTF is completely detailed now, and the stairs on the sides have been revamped to suck less. They now converge in the middle and have switches that raise/lower the upper parts of the stairs, for maximum dynamicness and gimmick density.

[EDIT] Screens for WTF CTF:

[EDIT AGAIN] Updated both maps, fixing (yet again) some HOMs in Aeronatics and adding the little "X" logo to both maps. Forgot I haven't been including those even though I told myself I would since PRCP. :P

Updates and hopefully finalized version of Meatwad goes to the Superbowl.
http://shanghai.the-powerhouse.net/32in24-12_Wartorn2.zip

-Visual overhaul (Kind of, it's at least not as boring to look at now)
-Added some more health
-Tried to add a bit more cover in the mid area
-Fixed spawns
-Repositioned the teleporter destination of the pits
-Adjusted facing of most of the spawns. You're now mostly looking at the direction of the enemy base when you spawn in
-Added an extra path in the waterfall area near the flag to make the map flow a little better

Note: I changed the MIDI included (it's in the zip) because the other one sounded too low in volume for some reason. The track is "Sleeping Terror" from Lotus Land Story. The map number is still MAP21 because I forgot to change it and wasn't sure if I should've in the first place