Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Arclite

Using a music track from another Game...

If I, for example, used a Quake/Quake 2 or Unreal Tournament music track (MP3 of course, not MIDI) for one of my Doom levels in my WAD (and tried to upload the wad), would I get in trouble?
Or could I still successfully upload it as long as I listed the rightful owners of the music I was using in the upload description?

Thanks in advance.

Nah, we're too small of a community for any major labels to give a damn. I'd give some cred in your readme.txt, though.

Also, what engine excepts MP3s?

Thanks for the reply.

And from my experience, Slade 3 allows you to use MP3 tracks for your levels. If that's what you're asking :)

Technician said:

Nah, we're too small of a community for any major labels to give a damn.

Yeah, so long as you use stuff from another game in Doom and not the other way around, everything's fine :p

Any lump editor should allow you to use any type of music in a level, it's not like they are the ones playing it.

The real question is whether the port in which you are playing will be able to read these songs. ZDoom and PrBoom+ can play MP3.

But it is nonetheless courtesy to cite in your text file what resources you used (including music) and where they come from. Especially music, look the description of any level on the Doom wiki and it'll always say "level <map name> was made by <person or persons> and uses the track <music name> from <game/album/movie/etc.>" in the very first sentence.