Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Spinesplitter

Whys doesn't ID make a new but retro instalment to the series like megaman did?

I think it would be a very good idea. I think that more would be turned on this great game that way. Kinda like in "Knee Deep in Zdoom" kinda thing only a new official sequel.

Captain Toenail said:

There's the new XBox not-so-exclusive Doom II episode 'No Rest for the Living', though it was not created by the original team.

oh yeah i forgot about that.

Why do you want id to make new retro installments when we do so on a daily basis? There are better wads, engines, customizations, etc. found in /idgames that would overshadow id's attempts any day of the week.

I'd prefer it if retro games were left to the community than withheld and provided by the company. I'm eternally grateful to id for doing the right thing and releasing their games source code. No other community has a game this old with this much of an interactive community based around keeping their favorite video games fresh and new for generations of players to come.

I would much rather id spent time researching what makes their previous games so good, and then apply that to future installments. So many companies have no understanding of what made their classic series of games enjoyable and fun. Sega for example.

Technician said:

Why do you want id to make new retro installments when we do so on a daily basis? There are better wads, engines, customizations, etc. found in /idgames that would overshadow id's attempts any day of the week.

I'd prefer it if retro games were left to the community than withheld and provided by the company. I'm eternally grateful to id for doing the right thing and releasing their games source code. No other community has a game this old with this much of an interactive community based around keeping their favorite video games fresh and new for generations of players to come.

I would much rather id spent time researching what makes their previous games so good, and then apply that to future installments. So many companies have no understanding of what made their classic series of games enjoyable and fun. Sega for example.

I see what you're saying but I just think it would be cool to see their take on the usage of zdoom capabilities.

I doubt an actual "new classic Doom episode from Id Software" would be made specifically for a source port in particular, ZDoom or another.

Also it would kinda defeat the point. Both of the retro-ness (it's not that retro if it's using "modern" port features) and on the "official Id-made"-ness (since it requires a third-party software that does not have and will never have official support from Id, as it is outside their control entirely).

Gez said:

I doubt an actual "new classic Doom episode from Id Software" would be made specifically for a source port in particular, ZDoom or another.

Also it would kinda defeat the point. Both of the retro-ness (it's not that retro if it's using "modern" port features) and on the "official Id-made"-ness (since it requires a third-party software that does not have and will never have official support from Id, as it is outside their control entirely).

Very True

Psh. In my eyes, Doom The Way id Did was pretty much as close as I'm going to get; or would want to get; to this premise. And to a lesser extent, Plutonia 2/Revisited, even though Plutonia wasn't really id Software per se.

I can't wait for Doom2 The Way id Did and then Heretic The Way Raven Did. I can hope on that last one.

The more I think of it, the more I realize that, yeah, DTWID is as good as I can imagine it getting*, and that the only reason I'd want an 'official' instalment is for nostalgic reasons.

*Other than a similar-engine sequel that includes new sprite and texture assets. But even for that, we've got an incredibly robust modding community.

Gez said:

I think the point here is that if id were actually to release a "retro Doom 3" so to speak, chances are that it would bring more to the table than simply new weapons or enemies. Chances are that it would include scripted events a la Quake, 3D geometry and all the rest of it. It wouldn't be for any of the community ports, it would run on id's own engine but with a load of upgrades and extra functionality. This would also have been the case if Doom 3 had been released in 1996.

As it stands now though, there really isn't much that id could do with the old tech that the community hasn't done already. And personally, I wouldn't have it any other way :)

It would be nice to see a full, official megawad produced by current and past authors at no cost and released to /idgames with just a no limits port.

it would be awesome if to see some kind of John Romero/Sandy Petersen/Tom Hall/American McGee collaboration on one new episode for Doom's 20th Anniversary (which would be Dec 2013). like just a wad they could put on /idgames where they each do 2-3 maps, or something. if it were just like a fan wad, that would solve any issues of rights.

maybe someone from the Doom community should consider trying to get in contact with them? i know this sounds like an incredible longshot, but most of those guys really owe a lot of their success to Doom. there's always a chance at least one or two of them might be receptive.

i dunno, just an idea.

It would be a nice gesture to the community for Doom's 20th anniversary if id commissioned an official megawad based on the best submissions from community mappers.

Especially so if new resources were provided to work with.

id is a totally different animal now - wouldn't want anything I love spoiled by an oh so creative idiot like Willits.

GoatLord said:

I'm still waiting for another "Commander Keen" game.

wasn't there one for GBA awhile back? i do wonder if Hall has any interest in it now, or if it's more a question of rights (like with Anachronox).

_bruce_ said:

id is a totally different animal now

this is why i think it would be cool and actually maybe feasible to contact the original level designers and ask them if they want to do a map or two for when Doom turns 20.

ella guro said:

wasn't there one for GBA awhile back? i do wonder if Hall has any interest in it now, or if it's more a question of rights (like with Anachronox).

this is why i think it would be cool and actually maybe feasible to contact the original level designers and ask them if they want to do a map or two for when Doom turns 20.

Hall has expressed interest on numerous accounts to make more Keen games. Apparently John Carmack or id Software has the rights and don't want to give them up for nothin! Sad story. :(

Would definitely be fun to nag Romero again to make a doom map or two. Maybe the third time will be the charm :) (I've already nagged him twice to ... to close, but no cigar).