Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Depends on the run itself. If going for tyson/max I don't listen because can't hear where the monsters are. When going for UV-Speed/nomo, pretty much always listening. Music helps to concentrate as long as it doesn't catch your attention too much. Doom music always turned off, it gets too repetitive.

I never play music when I'm recording. I play with game sounds, and I put the Doom music very low. Hearing the hell baron shooting behind you is definitely important.

I listen to the intended music, this includes D_RUNNIN in the old single-level maps. Few exceptions are mentioned in my txts. They include 10sector MAP31, d2reload MAP32, zapmap. If I add mmmus/mm2mus/reqmus/hrmus to the command line, it means the original music really hurts my ears. Also, the sound FX are noticeably louder than music in my case.

In my case the music is always on. The music in video games and DooM in particular plays a very important role for me. It sets the mood, the atmosphere. Some track are so badass I'm afraid my head will explode (map06 from reqmus.wad).I remember (when I was 6 or 7 years old) playing DooM on my super nintendo listening "hiding the secrets" on e2m1. This track is really awesome, but at the time it scared the shit out of me! I can't even imagine DooM without the music!

Most of the time I listen to the intended music, as it is a very important part of the game for me. But if it's D_RUNNIN or some other midi that I dislike - I might load reqmus.wad or something. In very rare cases, I might listen to non-Doom music too. For example, there was some pacifist (or maybe uv-speed) run that was incredibly boring to do: basically I was doing the same thing over and over again and just waiting for good monster behaviour. To make it less boring I loaded foobar2000 and started listening to Capsule.

yes, almost every time. Mainly as most music isn't too annoying because hey, who would want to put godawful music in their wads. Though the heavy metal conversions used can sometimes sound terrible.

What Akse and Memfis said.
And, sometimes when i'm making TASes, reloading prboom takes a significant amount of time, while each attempt takes less than 2-3sec, so music is out of question. In such cases i usually just playback the same track (or some other doom/videogame track, usually from final fantasy or early 90s pc games) in winamp while working on a demo.
Also when i really want to concentrate to the maximum, i mute the music. This happens when i'm already bored of listening something over and over again and when everything starts to get distracting and irritating, i.e. in long 1h+ demos after many attempts. Lately this is often the case when i'm playing/recording chillax for example.

Not usually, only if I really like the song, or the couple times I used ChocoDoom I used the music as a timer. Lately I've been using my internet computer more often for dooming, but it has no sound. Recording FDAs sucks with no sound (I used my normal dooming computer for the cc4 fdas), but playing casually with saves or recording on a map you already have memorized isn't a big deal without sound, imo (I guess it depends on the map).

Either the intended music, or IDCLEVsomething if I can't stand it; but likely, if I can't stand the music, I won't be enjoying the level enough to want to record on it to start with. Music is such an important part of the whole experience to me.

I leave music on unless I really dislike the track. Sometimes I remember to use music as a timing tool and using the music in game (or from the same music .wad) keeps timing consistent over dozens of attempts.

I keep the music volume slider at 0, mostly because I want to be able to hear absolutely everything that's going on in the level. On the rare occasions I'm listening to music, it'll be something external to Doom.

I almost always play with -nomusic when recording. Somehow its less distracting and lets me focus my flouride caused autism to play better. I notice I play a bit better without normal sounds even. I guess there's just less information for my small brain to process that way, allowing me to concentrate better. But sometimes sound can provide useful information to improve speed, not really as useful or frequent as one might think though. I think vile said he didn't use sound for awhile.

occasionally i do listen to music, particularly in tas demos. although sometimes i do need to hear the sound of a game, like if i need to hear whether or not a monster died or something like that. i always keep the in-game music on though, can barely even hear it with prboom plus’ sound font anyway.

I play with -nosound and -nomusic and as a background soundtrack I use endless conspirational youtube videos gggmork posts in everything else.