Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

TheEndOfUs said:

Melancholic pop music drenched in echo, fuzz or low distorted guitars, recorded & self produced by people you've never heard of.

can you link an example?

Relic said:

Pop music makes me incredibly mad, the music has no meaning or effort put into the music. It's the same in thing in most music "Raise your hands in the air!" "Drop the bass!". It's catchy and upbeat so people will keep coming back for more.

I don't mind if someone likes pop music but as long as they've looked into other music as well, in which most cases they don't just go with what's popular.

DooM must piss you off: no story, no thought, except mindless violence. Have a song with some meaning to cheer up. :p

Repetitive electronic music was better in the 70s. (Yes, the lower-quality rip was worth it to post the ridiculous video instead of a CD cover.) Pop was better in the 70s too, but I also seem to like a lot of 80s stuff.

Otherwise, pretty much what Quasar said. I listen to a crapload of game music, soundtracks, classical, classic rock (again mostly 70s stuff), and electronic stuff.

Hip hop sucks.

Memfis' stuff gets lulz points for using loli references to scare away most people before the music does.

I'm all over the place with what I like in music. When I listen to music on my comp, I use winamp (with amp randomizer 2 plugin because the default one is crappy)... so my collection gets mixed up nicely. One moment I can be listening to Benny Goodman, the next some Slayer or some Meco or some harpsichord music or whatever. I like loads of rock, pop, metal, disco, funk, jazz, dixieland, folk, dance, r&b, blues, electronic, techno, country, bluegrass, and classical, etc... just to name some stuff.

Not into rap at all.

Aliotroph? said:

Have a song with some meaning to cheer up.

haha, I have that album on a cassette somewhere in a box of 300+ cassette tapes. lol

basically everything. i started out as a fan of electronic music, more specifically, a fan of this guy's music. i was a real hardcore fan of him until he introduced me to a number of different independent electronic artists, which broadened my tastes of music widely. i think i opened up more to metal after i heard Meshuggah's Bleed, and my tastes opened up more for this kind of music: i liked the aggressive sound of the music, and me being a fan of harsh, noisy breakcore/hardcore music, i looked it up.

after that it gets kinda hard to trace it all from. i have a number of genres i am particularly fond of, namely breakcore, speedcore, gabber, psytrance, dowmtempo, and others, but i listen to everything these days, and my record collection is elective: from blues to pop to acid jazz to rock to metal to experimental harsh noise and what else genres of music there is.

basically, if you show me any kind of song from any kind of band, i'll be sure to enjoy it. i love any and all kinds of music.

i'd post some examples of what i like but i'm 'fraid it would clog up this thread too much. :P here's two different tracks to show what i mean by elective tastes, though:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Efy4TApwwqY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9fM3ylFs3hs

Mostly a pre-90s person, not for any particular reason. I recently took a larger interest in British metal (primarily Iron Maiden). Perennial favorites are Can, Magma, Siouxsie and the Banshees, Blondie, and Genesis.

It all depends on my mood... If I'm feeling happy and unworried then I tend to prefer almost all the flavours of electronic music, including a bit of dubstep, tons of rave, tons of trance, not to mention tons of 16-bit and 32-bit soundtracks from videogames.
But if I'm really depressed/worried/stressed then I can listen to various flavours of rock-n-roll, ranging from ABBA to Thin Lizzy and even to the dark and metal-ish Papa Roach.
Yeah, it's kinda hard to describe my music taste in one short sentence. But basically, I can listen to anything from 1970 onwards.

I listen to underground detroit house metal IDM prog bass post-groove hop.

Burial, AFX, Devin Townsend, Boards of Canada, Autechre, Beach Boys, Flying Lotus, Oneohtrix Point Never, Mogwai, Sigur Rós, Massive Attack, Actress, King Crimson, Mastodon, Clark, Cynic, Toro Y Moi, Plaid, Radiohead, Air, Nine Inch Nails, Digital Mystikz, Tom Waits, Björk, Leftfield, Battles, Spacetime Continuum, Maudlin of the Well, Animal Collective. Et cetera.

Certainly not "a little bit of everything," but I'd like to think my musical tastes are fairly diverse. Heavy metal, extreme metal, ambient, avant garde, experimental, neoclassical, jazz, new wave, punk, noise, electronica, drone, industrial, video game, "oldies" pop, gothic, funk, hardcore punk, classic rock (if you want to call that a genre) and film soundtrack.

I listen too whatever I think sounds good, allowing me to pick from pretty much any genre. Liking things like various 80s tunes now, and lots of (olderish) Country as of late. And things along the line of Kraftwerk, and 80s rock.

Lot's of stuff, here's a list of my preferred genres with a song/piece representing what I like from that genre:
Folk (This isn't an "actual" folk song but it's fold-like)
Baroqu/Classical/Romantic (Listen to this, for real!)
Jazz
Chanson
Military Choir
Blues
Country (*Shameful face*)
Rock and Roll (Yes, there's a difference between RNR and just Rock)
Rock
Heavy Metal
Punk
Alternative (I really like this one!)
WhatEverThisIs
Musical Film
Midi (Must listen!)

Of coerce many of these genres are vary wide in range an no one, or ten songs could show a proper representation of them.

Now let's get less vague and more specific, here's some songs from some of my favorite artists:
The Doors
The Velvet Underground (listen to this if you haven't!)
Joy Division
Iggy Pop & The Stooges
Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds

And then of coerce my all time favorite artist ever, Leonard Cohen:

There is so much more but this list would just get ridiculously long if I listed everything.

Mostly electronic music and less rock. For some reason, I can't tolerate metal.

Electro House
Dubstep
Hard Dance
Trance
Techno
House
DnB

Oh, and instrumental tracks from games too.

Relic said:

something.

Wow! I thought you like disappeared off the face of the earth (or maybe just Doomworld)...

plusses indicate how much of it I listen to. More plusses mean I listen to it more often.

Death Metal +
Ska +
Punk +
Crack Rock Steady +
Hardcore Punk +++
Old School Hip hop +++
Hardcore ++++
Crust +++++
Grindcore +++++++
Powerviolence +++++++

Well, there are also Deadly Gentlemen. I like playing it for people at Christmas to annoy them.

Game songs that are inspired by other songs should be its own thread. I can think of a few more examples.

40oz said:

Powerviolence

My metal erudition is failing me. I wasn't aware this was even a genre.

Every thing from Metal, punk, industrial, classic rock to old school gangster rap. The only thing really worth noting is the fact that I can't stand country. But, my favorite guitarist and one of my favorite
musicians in general is JR. Brown. A country guitar player who mixes classic rock such a Led Zeppelin with old school country. He also co-invented his own instrument and makes playing guitar look way to easy.

DoomUK said:

My metal erudition is failing me. I wasn't aware this was even a genre.

Infest, ACxDC, Despise You, Final Draft, Lack of Interest, Iron Lung, No Comment, Crossed Out, Uzi Suicide, CombatWoundedVeteran, Weekend Nachos, and Hoax are some good examples of powerviolence bands if you're interested.