Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
General Rainbow Bacon

Doomworld hikes

So I've recently got into hiking. A lot. Any of you other doomers like to hike? Feel free to share stories and pics of your hikes.

Here are some pics from trails I've been on.

Mt. Monadnock:

http://img201.imageshack.us/img201/231/1000104k.jpg
=======================================================
In the White Mountains of New Hampshire

Mt. Pierce:

Nice steep section of the trail

http://img846.imageshack.us/img846/7182/img0046rj.jpg

A view of Mt. Washington and Eisenhower

http://img854.imageshack.us/img854/5503/1000190g.jpg

Mt. Nancy

The Nancy Cascades

http://img853.imageshack.us/img853/3049/img0017ey.jpg

Franconia Ridge

http://img15.imageshack.us/img15/1547/1000230b.jpg

http://img140.imageshack.us/img140/1051/img0101yj.jpg
===========================================================
The Pinnacle (in Pennsylvania)

http://img35.imageshack.us/img35/7286/img0072pe.jpg

Enjoy!

More to come.

I've been to The Pinnacle, but that was years ago when I was in Boy Scouts.

The only hiking I really do is the national park across the street from my house. I'd like to take on the Appalachian Trail before I die, though.

I love hiking in Zion Nat'l Park and Arches Nat'l Park. My all-time favorite two trails are in Zion. they are:
Angel's Landing
http://icons-ak.wunderground.com/data/wximagenew/k/KEM/178.jpg
And yes you do walk up the spine- It's awesome!

And the river walk
https://s3.amazonaws.com/backroads_web/images/trips/2012/slideshows/WZBQ-bryce-zion-walking.jpg

I've hiked in many national parks and many state parks, especially in Michigan (Sleeping Bear Dunes). I enjoy a good mountain walk.

Franconia ridge was the most beautiful and generally pleasurable hike I've been on. Went up Lafayette, then along the ridge to Garfield and some other one that I can't remember the name of ;-(

Now I am a lazy person though

i might be bothered to find pics of the mt. katahdin hike i did awhile ago.

I used to do a lot more hiking than I have been doing in the last several years. did a little hike in joshua tree over the xmas holiday. Had a little adventure climbing up on a boulder and then trying to find a way back down again.

patiently awaiting a post from grazza detailing his hikes all over the world...

Uh, OK, I'll post some Sarcophagus and Ben Lomond pics once I've dug them out. And maybe some from East Greenland and Captain Cook's Cove.

I haven't done much hiking lately, so am hoping West Greenland (where we'll be six weeks from now) will be a litte gentler than the other side of the country.

General Rainbow Bacon said:

There's something very "England" about this one. Could have sworn you were hiking a few miles away from where I live if you hadn't said where you took the photo.

The beauty of America is that it's vastness encompasses such diversity in it's scenery. I've always had a little dream about going on a road trip from the East coast to the West, but I doubt that will ever come to pass. A lot of expense, organising etc.

I don't hike myself but has anyone found the place where the E1 Skybox is taken from? Somewhere in the Andes I think.

Eris Falling said:

I don't hike myself but has anyone found the place where the E1 Skybox is taken from? Somewhere in the Andes I think.

China.

Bit of a hiking fan myself too. Most of the hikes I've done have been on Scottish hills. There is a small hill 20 minutes from my house that I use as a training hill (maybe 40 times a year - I did say that it's small) and I try and get a few quality hikes in on something bigger every year.

Sure, big hiker here, although I haven't attempted anything at all in recent months.

The last mountain I tackled was Mt. Maroma in Spain, which had been taunting me from out the window of my Spanish residence for the best part of 5 seasons. Previously, I had been resigned to the leisure of walking along the irrigation system and various cliffs that sliced through the heart of the Andalucian mountain range, occasionally bumbling over a couple of rugged ridges in order to get the lay of the land, but it would only be so long before I succumbed to the task at hand.
Now that I find myself back in Australia, it's only a matter of time before I return to hiking great distances. When that day finally comes, I will be sure to bring a camera!

I used to hike and mountain bike in McDonald Forest in Corvallis, Oregon during my undergraduate years. The land was managed by the university's forestry college, so the trails were really well-maintained, and I could let my dog off leash.

I haven't done much hiking since I moved to Minneapolis because I've been content to walk and bike the paved trails along the Mississippi River that are accessible from right in front of my apartment.

The closest park with hiking trails in my area is the "G.Ross Lord Park": toronto.com/listing/213429
I don't carry a camera with me when I hike through it. I only bring along my mp3 player and my food supplies. So I'll just describe it in words...
The park has a squiggly stream/river going through it, with a bunch of curved/arched wooden bridges going over it at numerous points.
There's plenty of spots for having a picnic in there, but I've chosen only one of them to be my "preferred eating territory". I chose the one which is the furthest from the parking lot and therefore the least crowded and least polluted one.
My favourite trail is one which goes uphill right beside a cliff which overlooks the stream/river down below. There's a lot of really really tall trees growing on the shore of the stream and stretching high up past the altitude of the uphill trail which I keep frequenting.
One time I saw a raccoon climbing on a tall pine tree in that area. Until that day I never knew that raccoons were capable of crawling up trees. I thought that they were ground-based animals. So yeah, I was so surprised, LOL.
The only bad thing about this park is that during rainy weeks the stream/river has a chance of flooding some of the paths and trails. And there's signs posted all over the place to warn people of the possible flood danger.
I was able to witness this actual flooding happen only once, and that was last month. It made me mad because I couldn't finish going one of the trails and had to make a U-turn and leave.

DoomUK said:

There's something very "England" about this one. Could have sworn you were hiking a few miles away from where I live if you hadn't said where you took the photo.

Ditto. I took a trip to London a few years ago; I may as well have been blindfolded and driven to Old City while someone made airplane noises in the back seat.

Bucket said:

Ditto. I took a trip to London a few years ago; I may as well have been blindfolded and driven to Old City while someone made airplane noises in the back seat.

Heh, I haven't been to London since I was a child and I have no desire to go and visit it again anytime soon. I worry about tourists coming to the UK and automatically choosing London as their destination because there's not a lot of British culture left in it anymore, which, to me, is the whole idea of going abroad on holiday. If I went and visited New York or Toyko or Sydney or Rio de Janeiro I'd be disappointed if I was engulfed in cultural idiosyncrasies which weren't traditionally native to these places. It's for this reason that I support our monarchy; along with the pound it's about the only thing we've got left in the government's relentless quest to embrace multiculturalism on this little island, and particularly within it's capital.

Oh, don't worry if you go to Rio... Nothing but good old Brazilianess there! That place will never change, not even for the Olympics

Living near the Grampian Mountains, obviously I go hiking sometimes. Nothing too 'hardcore' though, just the occasional walk up a small mountain, or a 10-mile amble round a loch. Good way to tire out the dog.

It's amusing seeing all the people kitted up in their special gear; hiking sticks, silly hats, skin-tight shorts etc. for an hour walk up a shallow hill.

Captain Toenail said:

or a 10-mile amble round a loch.

Sounds like Loch Muick to me?

I swear that the shot about The Pinnacle (in Pennsylvania) might be also in Central-Europe. I've been on some interesting places before in Hungary, and I see that the picture is similar to some sceneries here.