Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
printz

Ceiling turrets possible in PrBoom+?

I'd like to know if it's possible to make ceiling turrets that only attack when they see you, using Dehacked for PrBoom+ (which includes Boom and MBF features). I tried, mostly with vanilla Doomhack already, but:

- if I set the FLOAT flag, the turret hovers to my level;
- if I don't set the FLOAT flag but the turret uses Chase to hunt targets, it will drop down instantly
- if instead of Chase I use a system of CPosRefire states to avoid firing when not seeing me, it will still fire when not seeing me some of the time (this is written in the CPosRefire and SpidRefire code).

Is there a way to make ceiling turrets? Unfortunately I'm limited to MBF Dehacked. No such thing as ceiling huggers or Strife code.

Have you tried setting FLOAT|INFLOAT? That may make it think it is "already floating to target" and thus it won't do so. But I'm not sure about that. It's worth a shot.

I've just tried it, but it didn't work. The monster would still level to my viewport.

Are there any substitutes for Chase, that check whether the enemy is in sight?

Try setting the flags floats, no-gravity and hangs-from-ceiling. You'll need Chase and a speed of 0.

Mordeth said:

Try setting the flags floats, no-gravity and hangs-from-ceiling. You'll need Chase and a speed of 0.

Won't that still cause it to lower itself to player's frustum of view?

Can you deal with the turrets all being set to a fixed position above the floor of the sector it's in? You could just make the turret not cling to the ceiling and just offset the sprites so it appears to be on the ceiling... Hell if you needed different heights, you could have different variations of the turret via different things.

That would make them ineffective at hiding in alcoves into the ceiling. You could hit them at ground level, despite their sprite being up.

Perhaps I'm missing something, but what difference does it make in a PrBoom+ wad? Stuff is going to be infinitely tall, isn't it?

Phml said:

Perhaps I'm missing something, but what difference does it make in a PrBoom+ wad? Stuff is going to be infinitely tall, isn't it?

I could make it non-solid. I said PrBoom+ because it includes MBF, and people are less likely to raise an eyebrow if I say PrBoom+ than if I say MBF.