Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Acid

What to turn this into?

So this is something I scraped together in a day or so. It's only 1 room big. I need some ideas: what type of map should I turn this into? I'm thinking an industrial DM map, but I'd like some opinions first. It might not look impressive but I want to turn it into something :P

A deathmatch map is gonna need more walls or pillars or some types of height variation for it to be fun. All detail aside, it features literally nothing that a one-sector square room doesn't.

It's the reactor core you've been trying to shut down for the last 29 levels. How you design the destruction of the reactor is up to you. ;)

As far as DM goes, tiny floor height variations are a turn off for me. In addition to losing movement control, the up-and-down motion feels like a bumpy car ride.

Also with a ceiling that complicated, adding things like 40oz suggested (structures to break line-of-sight to your opponent, height variation elements and so on) are going to be very difficult.

It's the restroom stop on Mars orbital station X531. This one has fallen into disrepair, due to lack of funding. Only a few desparate souls would dare stop here, but it turns out your really have to go bad...

40oz said:

A deathmatch map is gonna need more walls or pillars or some types of height variation for it to be fun. All detail aside, it features literally nothing that a one-sector square room doesn't.

Hmm, that's true. I haven't done anything to the walls yet. Maybe a sf2012 map would work ;) Sad thing is that I never end up finishing my SP maps...

if you make it a good SP map, the visit to that area will be impressive. If you want a lot less work, you can make it DM, and it will probably be a pretty uninspired map, considering you just want to wrap it up, by the sound of it

also, honestly, I think the structure work is very nicely done, but the texturing looks a little random...

I would sector out the hexagon floor around the circular center and lower it 4 - 8px then use that tech texture on the floor it will look nice.

Also consider using SetFloorPanning() to slide that floor texture a bit that way it's consistent around the whole perimeter.

Maybe it could be an Icon of Sin style map: you could program it to fire plasma in all directions as if it was a defective energy core and you need to fire rockets at it to shut it down.

^that is a cool idea

the reason I'm interested in this thread is because I have something similar planned, lol...