Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Sephiroth

the 286

well i dug out an old compaq lite 286 laptop. i figured i will throw on some older games. then this question came to me, is it possible for doom to run on a 286? i know if it was it would be extreamly slow and crappy. Also it is CGA so i am sure doom will not run with that. when i took a A+ class 3 years ago my instructor told me that doom was a great way to test VGA and SVGA. I am sure one of u have tried to get doom to run on a 286, tell me how it went
right now i am have problems running the 286 cause i cant seem to get the voltage correct, i am falling short a 6 volts

I dont think its gonna work on a 286. I have a 386 and when I try to play doom, it's so slow that it takes an eternity to walk a few steps.

Well, afaik there's lots of 386 assembly in DOOM that won't run at all on a 286, so it wouldn't just be about speed.

yea that was my guess, i just wanted to know if the game would even start up. i have seen doom on a 386/33. it will run ok on a ok on a 386 with the math co-processor. wolf 3d will run on a 286. i have been trying to get a hold of the old tandy system i grew up with to get some games off it. I plan on keeping the 286, as a collectors item. hey it may be worth something down the road. i wish i never god rid of my C64.

In theory you must have a math co-processor to run Doom.

I think Solataire crashes on a 286! :P

Plus I bet that laptop is on the big side of small or visa versa ain't it? and weighs a ton...

Original doom.exe uses DOS/4GW which makes use of the 386's protected mode. You cant run doom on a 286.

the specs, well it has 2mb ram card and a internal fax modem installed. it has cga graphics, the screen is in wide screen format. i am not sure on mhz or hard drive capacity. i had another one that was beat all to hell so i salvaged the ram, hard drive and floppy drive ass well as some sort of card

DooM on a 386/20 was awful. Slow as hell, and in the PC I used, the gameplay was full-speed, but the framerates were ceartainly not, as it updated every 1/3 revolution (spinning player in circles).

As for Wolf3D on a 286, I've done it, and it's almost as bad as running DooM on a 386, but it's somewhat controlable. If you shrink the window down all the way, it'll run smoothly, but you can have ait a notch or two bigger if you don't mind some jerky gameplay.

I have a 486sx 25 MHz, it runs ultimate doom and doom2 just fine, but in evilution's some maps 35FPS turn's into 35SPF :)

Hehe, I remember me and my brother used to both play Wolf 3D at the same time on our two 286's, and speed run through it to see who could finish it first :)

Originally posted by NiGHTMARE
me and my brother

MY BROTHER AND I

Where are the grammar police when you need them?

Oh yeah, you're the grammar police...

/me reports NiGHTMARE to NiGHTMARE

TAKE THAT!

It might be gramatically correct, but it sounds retarded, so there :)

BTW, I is the spelling police, not the grammar police ;)

Originally posted by NiGHTMARE
It might be gramatically correct, but it sounds retarded, so there :)

I agree with ya there. Some grammatically correct phrases seem so wrong.

Originally posted by mmnpsrsoskl
Some grammatically correct phrases seem so wrong.

So does your spelling of frazes.

Would it be nitpicky to point out that "ü" doesn't exist in the English language? :)

IT'S GERMISH DAMMIT! :P

I make up my own languages around here.

Originally posted by skadoomer

A 286 laptop can run um, dos and probabily atari style games....If you can find any.

Atari has absolutely awesome graphics compared to CGA.

Sephiroth

God of Faulty Hardware

I think that says it all. Why on Earth don't you get an up-to-date computer, or are you one of those nostalgia buffs who like old computers and laptops?
Oh well, carry on. :)

Originally posted by Lüt
IT'S GERMISH DAMMIT! :P

I make up my own languages around here.

what is germish?

Originally posted by Phoenix

what is germish?

rofl