Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
ella guro

Doom 2 in name only (tentative title)

I could live with it going out as 'In Name Only'. I'm just convinced that there must be something better out there.

"In Name Only" is probably a better description for this wad than anything. Considering that's all that's really different about it are the levels being literal takes on their names.

ella guro said:

an_mutt: i don't understand the point of doing all that lighting work and then handing out a light amplification visor right at the beginning. maybe my monitor is too bright?

otherwise, i like it - it's a pretty linear and short level, but it's interesting anyway. when i first played it i was hoping that the big area where you get the key was longer. i still kind of wish it was, because it feels a little bit like the map is building up to that part, but i guess it's alright how it is now.

I'm removing the light goggles in the next version as I've started to feel the same way.

And I've not given that kind of thought to the large area actually, at least in terms of build-up - one of the first ideas I came up with for the map was that of the cacodemons coming out of the toxic, but I guess it isn't as exciting as I first thought. I can't think of anything to do with it though as that area's somewhat pushing the drawseg limit already. I put a few spectres spawning in there to spice up the combat after you pick up the key because I realised in playtesting that it was a tad lame - I'll see if I can think of something else to come up for it for the next version.

an_mutt said:

I'm removing the light goggles in the next version as I've started to feel the same way.

Please don't! They almost never get used in most maps. :(

an_mutt said:

And I've not given that kind of thought to the large area actually, at least in terms of build-up - one of the first ideas I came up with for the map was that of the cacodemons coming out of the toxic, but I guess it isn't as exciting as I first thought.

I personally thought the cacos in the toxic waste was a brilliant idea, but that might be just me. It's certainly a lot more exciting than just teleporting them in.

Obsidian said:

And for good reason. They are not needed most of the time and tend to make everything ugly.

Obsidian said:

I know. :( Like Antroid's suggesting though, they can spoil the atmosphere that I'm going for and I realise, as niche as they are, a berserk pack or something along those lines can spice the level up a little better for playthroughs.

Anyway, here's the revised version which I guess is the final release?

Waste Tunnels

I'll keep working on it if somebody thinks something can be added or if something's bringing the quality of the map down, but I'm pretty happy with my release at the moment. Enjoy!

ella guro said:

i guess it doesn't help that i don't like most of the default Doom 2 city textures very much.

You and me both, but you have to work with what you've got unfortunately. I don't think anyone's gonna mistake this level for being anything other than Downtown!

the cave part is the strongest, for me, but i think it goes on a little too long. i think you can get away with ending the level right after the cyberdemon fight and the long walk down through caves - that's a good dramatic device for ending the level. the part at the end just seems a little tacked on.

I'd like to get some more feedback on this before I entertain the thought of changing the ending. These days the Cyberdemon is not the be all and end all that it used to be. What I like about the ending is the perspective that you get on the downtown street from down below. I'd actually like to see the beginning of Phobus' Map 14 and see if I can incorporate it into my ending area.

On the subject of the project name, I like In Name Only enough... here's a few more (crap!) ideas:
Doom 2... 012; Allegedly Doom 2; Apparently Doom 2; Doom 2 As Advertised; Simply Doom 2; Ostensibly Doom 2; Doom 2 Yes It's True; Literally Doom 2; I Can't Believe It's Not Doom 2; Doom 2 Accurated; Bona Fide Doom 2; Yours Faithfully, Doom 2; Doom 2 Natural; Doom 2 the Letter....

glenzinho: that picture's terrible (but I like it)

Eris Falling said:

Link to Map05 is broken.

I've deleted the second version - the most recent link is in my previous post~

Ah yeah sorry didn't see that.

Anyway, ammo was still a bit tight after picking up red key. I'd consider putting a chainsaw (at least) somewhere to deal with those spectres.

an_mutt said:

glenzinho: that picture's terrible (but I like it)

heh... never underestimate the power of boredom combined with 5 minutes on the internet.
And if you think that's terrible, check this.

Another update to map18: http://www.mediafire.com/?a89bvl8bvqmq4ek

Swapped and added some secrets and monsters.
Made the map MORE vanilla friendly, now the map will never glitch out when looking over a large area in the courtyard part in chocolate doom.
Also made the red key fight 'harder' and the cyberdemon appearing only on UV in plasma rifle room.

I quite enjoyed that, but I have a couple things of note:

- I think the trap for the yellow key is a bit tame, as it's only a pair of Hell Knights teleporting in and it's easy to just run past them. I'd suggest dropping in a couple more monsters in there.

- I couldn't find the rocket launcher of the map (assuming you have on in there, of course) and this made the area past the yellow key door a bit of a pain - namely, the room with the revenants shooting at you from afar. Sniping them was a pain, and a rocket launcher would have been really useful; I suggest having that central pillar that lowers with a couple rockets on it have the launcher on instead, and it being activted with a switch on the pillar itself - having that would offer you more firepower but at the risk of losing your cover.

EDIT: I should say for the hell of it that I had no ammo problems - in fact, I was basically fully stocked after taking out the cyberdemon - so I have no complaints there.

Map18

Very nicely done, I think difficulty is fine, except for ammo placement. You really need more ammo in some places, I didn't particularly enjoy chainsawing a mancubus or a cacodemon. Or even jumping to try and chainsaw the Revenants on the platform.

Eris Falling said:

...I didn't particularly enjoy chainsawing ... a cacodemon...

You kidding? Those tomatoes were MADE for chainsawing! It's what I always try to do to them! :D

Sure it's fine, but not when it's right above me and I can't reach the assholes.

Wait do they even have an asshole? Must be pretty crap to be a cacodemon...

I think they actually have several, if you look at the sprites. But that's material for some other exciting thread in Doom General.
Btw, in Russian "cacodemon" sounds pretty much as "poopydemon", and that proves your last statement. :D
(/offtopic)

an_mutt said:
- I couldn't find the rocket launcher of the map (assuming you have on in there, of course) and this made the area past the yellow key door a bit of a pain - namely, the room with the revenants shooting at you from afar. Sniping them was a pain, and a rocket launcher would have been really useful; I suggest having that central pillar that lowers with a couple rockets on it have the launcher on instead, and it being activted with a switch on the pillar itself - having that would offer you more firepower but at the risk of losing your cover. [/B]

If you searched for another yellow key door, you would've gotten the RL without further ado :P

Kongming said:

If you searched for another yellow key door, you would've gotten the RL without further ado :P

Bleh, I'll be sure to have another playthrough when I can be bothered to get my mouse. I'm tempted to say that a second launcher should be placed where I suggested anyway for idiots who never explore the entire map such as myself. :B

I'm out, i'm very busy with some stuff at the moment so I would prefer if the slot was freed and someone more active would take it.

Considering I've completed a map already and I've got nothing to work on at the moment - I'd like to claim alterworldruler's spot for map 17 if nobody else wants it. :)

That's cool, I really liked your map05 so I'm happy to see what you can come up with for this map. I might have said yes to doing this map myself but I think having as many different styles of city maps (aka as many authors as possible for ep2) is probably the best idea.

I recently played through maps 05, 15 and 18. I really liked all of them, and I must say, I fail to understand why are some of you complaining about lack of ammo. I played on UV and I think there is too much ammo on all of these maps (I admit, I found many of the secrets, but anyways). In addition to that, yes we should make our maps playable from pistol start, but... Most players DO NOT play maps from pistol start when playing a megawad. So we should also (if not mostly) take into account that player will bring some ammo from previous levels. My opinion about ammo - don't add more, maybe even remove some ammo.

To say something about my map... A few pages ago I told you that my map is about 30% completed. But at that time, it was less than 30% completed, much less. The map size somehow got out of my control and it's already close to exceed the most important static limits, although I haven't even started some of the most important parts that I planned!

scifista42 said:

I recently played through maps 05, 15 and 18. I really liked all of them, and I must say, I fail to understand why are some of you complaining about lack of ammo. I played on UV and I think there is too much ammo on all of these maps (I admit, I found many of the secrets, but anyways). In addition to that, yes we should make our maps playable from pistol start, but... Most players DO NOT play maps from pistol start when playing a megawad. So we should also (if not mostly) take into account that player will bring some ammo from previous levels. My opinion about ammo - don't add more, maybe even remove some ammo.

I Agree, I won't add any ammo in my map but neither will I remove any, I think it's fine as it is now. I managed to play through on UV without getting ANY secrets, and it turned out OK. I had lack of ammo for one or two weapons in the end, but I managed to kill everything with 'ammo consuming weapons'. If you play smart, you shouldn't have much problem.

Version 1.0 of Downtown.
I am calling this complete and finished. The HOM bug Memfis pointed out is now gone, minor ammo/health tweaks, something to look at beyond the exit gate... oh yeah, there are also co-op/deathmatch starts to make it 100% vanilla compatible, but I imagine it would be terrible in this level.

@ella guro: please replace the link on the first post.. I have now removed links to older versions. Cheers!

the links in the first post should be up to date.

i'm putting an_mutt down for map 17 (and Antroid for map 29, which i forgot to do before :) ).

i might give up The Pit at some point too because i'm severely devoid of inspiration right now. we'll see, though.

I've not done any work on The Crusher yet and won't get started for at least a month. Until a hard deadline is made though I won't relinquish my spot - although I have no issue with another person making a level for the same slot.