Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
ella guro

Doom 2 in name only (tentative title)

I'm guessing... if you take the wrong angle at armour there's a telefrag trap?
I'm intrigued :3 I would like to see a decent (thank you E3M7) map where the traps/puzzles are harder than the demons themselves.

Someone may comment that the room looks a little bare, but in all honesty, I think that sort of adds to the atmosphere of this room. A lone green armour - in an empty room - in a level called Tricks and Traps. I'd be worried.

What's with the pitch black ceiling?

Also, if people want a status update from me... I've done nothing yet. Loads of maps to do; no motivation.

Eris Falling said:

You're alive!

Deadline wise, given the relative lack of screenshots, I cannot see this being completed before Dec 10. It might be worth sending out PM's to the mappers, incase they have forgotten.

Here is a listing of map statuses:

MAP01 - Released
MAP02 - Released
MAP03 - No Evidence
MAP04 - Released
MAP05 - Released
MAP06 - No Evidence
MAP07 - Released
MAP08 - Screenshot shown
MAP09 - 2 Mappers
MAP10 - Screenshots shown
MAP11 - Released
MAP12 - Last screenshot over a month ago
MAP13 - Released
MAP14 - No Evidence
MAP15 - Released
MAP16 - Last screenshot over a month ago
MAP17 - Screenshots shown
MAP18 - Released
MAP19 - Screenshots shown
MAP20 - No Evidence
MAP21 - No Evidence
MAP22 - No Evidence
MAP23 - Last screenshot over a month ago
MAP24 - No Evidence
MAP25 - Fate possibly decided
MAP26 - Released
MAP27 - No Evidence
MAP28 - Fate Decided
MAP29 - Screenshots shown, but some more recent ones wouldn't go amiss
MAP30 - Last screenshot over a month ago
MAP31 - No Evidence
MAP32 - No Evidence
Or maybe I'm just slightly impatient.

I can do another map - Map14/Map20 preferred.

See, for MAP14, Phobus has said he has no motivation, so you could go ahead and make a start on a map. As for MAP20, I don't think the guy actually posted in here again after claiming the map.

I myself am considering starting on a map of sorts. Specifically 32, but I've visualised 22, inspired slightly by the catacombs level from Medal of Honor Underground (itself being inspired by the catacombs of Paris). And 03, set along a rail network.

It may even be worth taking a leaf out of TNT 2's new system for mapper positions.

Yeah, somebody might as well take MAP14 off of me - it's in a listof about 15 maps I have either yet to start or have in progress... none of which are terribly likely to see completion.

Eris Falling said:

I'm guessing... if you take the wrong angle at armour there's a telefrag trap?

Wait and see, tee hee hee.

I'm excited about your map already, although I know it's gonna annoy the hell (CWATIDIDTHAR) out of me.

MAP14 - Sorry to hear that Phobus, I'm guessing _bruce_ now has MAP14?

Eris Falling said:

I'm excited about your map already, although I know it's gonna annoy the hell (CWATIDIDTHAR) out of me.

MAP14 - Sorry to hear that Phobus, I'm guessing _bruce_ now has MAP14?

I take any map - I don't really care... if it helps the project then it's ok with me.

An 'Inmost Dens' looks something like that for me...

If I was doing it, I'd put it underground like that. Never really saw the dens for the original. Or why they were inmost for that matter.

Eris Falling said:

Deadline wise, given the relative lack of screenshots, I cannot see this being completed before Dec 10. It might be worth sending out PM's to the mappers, incase they have forgotten.

Here is a listing of map statuses:

We should have some kind of preliminary deadline, as there are people who have claimed maps and have not posted again here nor provided any kind of update. Say maybe 31st of October, and if the people in question haven't reconfirmed their interest then the slots will be vacated. What does everyone think about that?

I realize i have been stalling with finishing up map29 (also no Eris Falling, no more screenies, i've spoiled enough :p ), but once i feel up to it that should be a matter of a day or two. If there appears to be a free map after any sort of clean-up or anything you guys plan to do, i'd consider grabbing it too. Contrary to the fact that i can't seem to get the last bit of testing and tweaking of map29's enemies/pickups done, i am not in fact burned out on mapping or anything (just waaaaay too lazy to replay my own map dozens of times progressing a couple enemies further each time) and i would in fact love to have a new map to play with.

If the 31-10-12 preliminary deadline goes ahead, I don't think you will be short of a choice for a map slot at this rate.

I know the OP says there is currently a limit of two people per map, but given the circumstances, it probably won't matter if you do a third.

I might do another map if needs be. I wouldn't mind where in the wad it is. Of course early maps would be easy (I promise I can make an easy map :P) and I wouldn't turn a hell map into a full blown slaughterfest haha.

the first post should be up to date now.

i'm also probably going to switch out Olympus for The Spirit World, though i'm not sure with what level yet.

what i think i'll do in the next week or so is send out some pms bugging people who haven't been heard from yet and see what responses i get. then we can probably open up some slots.

if there is a particular map you really want to start on, there's no reason not to start on it now - there just isn't a guarantee that the person who's claimed it won't also be workign on it.

ella guro said:

i'm also probably going to switch out Olympus Obsidian for The Spirit World, though i'm not sure with what level yet.

FTFY

if there is a particular map you really want to start on, there's no reason not to start on it now - there just isn't a guarantee that the person who's claimed it won't also be workign on it.

Well I'll get started on a MAP22 of sorts. My original plan was to do 32 but I think maybe I would be better off doing the Catacombs. Probably not ready for huge maps yet, and Grosse would have to be one of those.

If the deadline passes and map32 is still available, I might have a crack at it, I feel that could be a slot to get the creative juices going.

Capellan isn't the busiest person so you could even make a start now if you wanted to.

I'm not going to put much time for now into MAP22 incase Megalyth returns, but here's a starting area I threw together.

http://imageshack.us/a/img543/3598/screenshotdoom201210221.png

It would be outside of a church/cathedral like building, and the catacombs can be found inside. Some textures could use some alignment on the building. Some lost souls rise out of the fountain when you approach it, and on passing the fountain, those little alcoves on the building open up to reveal a monster of some type.

The biggest fail here was not realising capellan is Adam Windsor (hangs head in shame).
Well I will wait until deadline and Ella Guro Updates the list and then I will start. I have enough to get on with at the moment.

Hahaha, Phobus is James Cresswell too, we lost a badass mapper there.

If it does take off, and you can make Große into half the map Industrial Zone was, you are going the right way about it.

I have some redeeming to do after the initial MAP07. If I do end up with MAP22, I'll try for something pretty damn good.

I'd want to see if I can re-instate a similar level of fear/wonder I had when playing MAP48-54 of Doom on PSX (Catacombs were 49). It might be cliché but I think Plasma from DN3D could be a suitable music track.

If it doesn't make it into the megawad, I'll just put it up as 'The Lost Catacombs'.

Eris Falling said:

It might be cliché but I think Plasma from DN3D could be a suitable music track.

really?

Cliche doesnt do that partiuclar track justice.

TheMionicDonut said:

really?

Cliche doesnt do that partiuclar track justice.

I listened to some of the other tracks from DN3D. There are a few others, and I'm not sure if Plasma now would actual fit with the Cathedral style entrance.

Ahh..if only Vanilla could run MP3s. PSX Music would just be mind-blowing...

Eris Falling said:

...if only Vanilla could run MP3s. PSX Music would just be mind-blowing...

Eh, not everyone shares your enthusiasm for boring ambient humming in doom anyway... ;)

Well, I'll admit some maps do fine with the original MIDIs, but I'm not heading in that direction, and there's no way the D_DDTBLU3 is going to fit the map.
Yes, in a musical aspect, PSX Soundtrack was bad. But there's no denying it made the game pretty damn spooky. I still can't play the Factory on that port.

PSXMUS02 would go perfectly with this level and that particular track is actually the reason I don't mind MAP21

EDIT: Cathedral, after entering, before going into the main cathedral area. With pews.
http://imageshack.us/a/img37/8053/screenshotdoom201210242.png

Eregore said:

Level 1: Entryway - Processingcontrol:
Play through: I got all 100%s, no deaths.

Game play: I ran out of ammo several times, but in a good way. There was never a fear of dieing because I was out of ammo, I simply ran around until I got more. The beginning was the hardest part, which I liked. Once inside the building the level became a cakewalk, perhaps too easy. Even the ending could have been ramped up in difficulty.

Level Design: Again, the outside works great. I like how its a round-about with imps on top so they can get the jump on the player. The west trap was a surprise, a little strange but cool. The secret was easy, but it did take a second glance to figure out, so I like it. The final room was great! I like how you threw up bars instead of simply sealing the door (and I did try to ditch :P ) I feel the level is slightly too simple and linear. I would have liked to see a little room between the entrance of the building and the room with the secret in it. And perhaps another area to the east.

Decor: I like everything about the beginning! The giant curving complex wall looks great! The inside is a little too mono-thematic on that light grey kick for my taste, though the contrasting colors with the grey is nicely done.

Overall: Bad: In my opinion this level is just slightly too easy, too simple, and too bland. Good: The beginning is great. This map is solid and the use of items/enemies makes it feels like a first level map, and it certainly captures the title 'Entryway'.

Thanks for the review.

I don't think I'll change the difficulty or make it more complicated; good opening maps tend to be short, easy, and simple. However, I might add some more visual variety.

Processingcontrol said:

Thanks for the review.

I don't think I'll change the difficulty or make it more complicated; good opening maps tend to be short, easy, and simple. However, I might add some more visual variety.

That's good, because the gameplay is just about perfect for Map 01... looking forward to seeing the updated visuals.