Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
[PROTOTYPE]

Good dark/ambient albums?

What are some some good dark ambient albums that I can find? Specifically, I'm looking for something that I can play in the background while I'm playing Manhunt. I've played it many times now, and I'm looking for ways to alter the experience.

I thought playing different music would do. I'm currently playing it with the Doom PSX soundtrack in the background, but it doesn't really "fit in" well.

Perhaps you can try the album Music For The Jilted Generation by The Prodigy. But if you want something that is more calming yet at the same time still very trance-inducing then try the album Oxygene by the legendary Jean-Michel Jarre.

DarkJedi188 said:

Perhaps you can try the album Music For The Jilted Generation by The Prodigy. But if you want something that is more calming yet at the same time still very trance-inducing then try the album Oxygene by the legendary Jean-Michel Jarre.

Uh, I don't know man... These aren't exactly ambient albums, I listened to both, especially Prodigy. And besides, I don't know how anyone could conceive playing Manhunt with this in the background:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5DDEl7JnWvo

Not exactly music for killing people, IMO.

Quake 1 soundtrack X) You could also try some Midnight Syndicate maybe, but dunno if that's really that fitting for Manhunt. Each album has its own theme, for the most part. Perhaps Gates of Delirium would be best for Manhunt, but that's still a stretch. Not exactly ambient, but fitting for background music.

K!r4 said:

Heresy by Lustmord

Pretty much anything by lustmord is going to satisfy. And of course the quake 1 soundtrack. If you can get ahold of it, I would also recommend most of the dungeon/vault tracks from fallout 3 and new vegas some of which are from fallout 1 and 2 actually.

Hmm, wasn't there a thread similar to this not that long ago? I remember suggesting some Maeror Tri in it. Yea, some of their discography might satisfy for some good dark ambient.

Some of the stuff by The Future Sound of London is quite "dark" in feel, but not all of it so you'd have to pick and choose a bit.

Selected Ambient Works Vol. 2 by Aphex Twin had some pretty dark minimalistic ambient on it. Hankie (which was only on the UK CD release, stupid Americans lol) is probably the creepiest song on the whole album IMO.

Locust (one of the many side projects of Mark Van Hoen) can have some rather dark and dismal ambient soundscapes as well, such as this and this.

I also like this compilation of Dark Ambient that was released sometime in the mid-90's. Don't listen to the Aphex Twin track with headphones... ;)

Oblivion's dungeon music was nice ambient music, after I cleared out a dungeon I would like to sit my character down and make potions, repair armor and read books while listening to the dungeon music play.

[PROTOTYPE] said:
I don't know how anyone could conceive playing Manhunt with this in the background:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5DDEl7JnWvo
Not exactly music for killing people, IMO.

I agree that that particular track of the album isn't fitting for such an experience. But the very first track on that disc is perfectly fitting for creeping through a demon infested starbase with corpses everywhere, IMO.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sj7A8SX7ccI
^I'd play any map from "The Shores Of Hell" episode with that tune in the background.

as have been mentioned a couple posts afar in this thread, Ambient 4: Isolationism is a terrific dark ambient album. if you like space-y ambient music, then Jaja's Ascend should be right up your alley, filling up to nearly 2 hours of free, high-quality space-y ambient music.

Tegiminis Insanity Enroaching is a dark, droney, ambient album based on the soundscapes of Quake III Arena. also check out his new album, Myth Of PROMeTHeUS, on the same page.

Renard's Aurastys stuff is pretty good ambient music, the last one released being Idea(l(s)). however, i think that Rising Ruins, The Gray, and Four Beasts have a more darker, ominous atmosphere. they're all worth a listen, though.

oh yeah! i can't forget the sound project uncertain. terrific dark soundscapes all around. this album especially is worth a listen.

other good stuff are In Serpents and Seas, where uncertain and another artist called esperik glare are on, and esperik glare's solo stuff is worth a listen, too.

Try Bad sector, he gives almost all of his discography.
Wander also in Dark ambient radio.
Deutsch Nepal plays dark ambient (his four or five first albums) with industrial, martial and black comedy.
The French group Fin de siècle gives a lot of albums in archive.org.
The prolific Senmuth gives a few good dark ambient albums, but they are lost in all his production. Look on the right and search the right category.
I forgot Zeit by Tangerine dream.

Came to see if Nurse With Wound was mentioned.
They might be more of an acquired taste, though.

Bucket said:

Came to see if Nurse With Wound was mentioned.
They might be more of an acquired taste, though.

NbfxNoYxMhI

Video is creepy.