Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Hellbent

Deep97 DOS on my Mac

Okay, wow and every expression of wow to have ever been uttered.

I've been wanting to edit on my mac for a long time, but didn't want to get Parallels or some other such fair (windows emulation). But I did find this amazing DOS emulator for playing Commander Keen called Boxer. I just did a google search for 'doom mapping editor' and followed a link that took me to the utilities page on Doomworld. Not terribly satisfied with the mac editors in the list I stumbled upon Deep97 for Dos in DW's exhaustive list of editors and Utilities and was like.. well, why the hell not? So I downloaded it and with only a little finagling I actually got it running and made a test level with it! Amazing. And I even remember how to use it (of course DeepSea evolved from Deep97, but still).

What a nostalgia trip, too. Woo-hoo! I'll post some screenshots of the dinosaur days in a bit.

Honestly, Parallels is worth the effort. I can run Doom Builder 2, Slade 3, and any other Windows-based Doom tools or source ports flawlessly on my iMac, with 3D mode and all.

Not particularly. If you have a decent amount of ram and, preferably, a Core 2 Duo or newer processor, it should be pretty straightforward to get Win7 or something running well in it.