Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
NightmareZer0

The Great Debate (Armored Core VS MechWarrior)

Which is better in your opinion?  

12 members have voted

1. 1. Which is better in your opinion?

• Armored Core series
    • MechWarrior series

My roommate recently bought Armored Core 5 and we got in this huge debate. I told him I perfer the MechWarrior series over Armored Core. He backed up his arguement and said that Armored Core has way more Customization. Customizing Mechs is great and all but I don't really like the 3rd person view of Armored Core and personally I like MechWarrior more because of its simplicity. So what do you think DoomWorld Armored Core or MechWarrior? Cast your vote..

Edit: If you have only played MechAssault and perfer it..Cast your vote for MechWarrior..MechAssault is a sub-genre of MechWarrior.

Edit: Meant to put MechWarrior Series in the poll...oops

I like both games, but if your going to mention Armored Core to me, then I might end up writing a huge novel on what's good and what's not so good about it. I've been a huge AC fan since the first game and I've followed and totally cleared all of the games up to Armored Core 5. I'm not going to say one game is better than the other though because that all boils down to personal preference and the fact that both games actually play completely different on a game mechanics level.

No no...must...not...go...crazy D:. Ok I'll try not to get too nuts with my reply :P

First though, let me address Armored Core 5. Armored Core 5 is actually a pretty big departure from the rest of the series as far as how the game plays. Actually since the series was introduced to this generation of consoles, the series has made some pretty fundamental gameplay alterations. With Armored Core 4 and For Answer, the movement speed was increased to ridiculous levels. There were changes to the lock mechanics and designing your AC was a pretty deep experience. It was different but there were still some similarities between it and the previous games in the series on the PS2/PS1. Armored Core 5, on the other hand, was slowed way down and added more focus on tactical play. That's why it's so important to make use of those Recon Units, because there is no longer a radar function like in the past games. It's interesting that you bring up this debate because Armored Core 5 is probably the closest thing to Mechwarrior in terms of gameplay in the entire series.

In contrast, some of the previous games (Last Raven, Ninebreaker, Nexus, Silent Line, AC3, Another Age, AC2, Master of Arena, Project Phantasma, and AC1....whew) were less about these connections to reality and game mechanics and more about just run n' gun, fly all over the place, destroy everything...I don't know, but the newer games seemed to have lost some of the charm of the older games. It feels like those games are less serious and more about over the top mech destruction.

Anyways, before I really ramble on more than I should, there are fundamental differences between Mechwarrior and Armored Core. I'm not nearly as knowledgeable about the former but I've played it enough to know that the games are nothing alike. Mechwarrior is more about strategic loadouts, tactical gameplay with elements of teamwork, and slower/more methodical gameplay. Armored Core is more about endlessly tweaking designs/weapon loadouts, fast-paced maneuvering, and timing. The best way to know the differences is to see for yourself and play both games :)

Armored Core 5 is a pretty good game. I haven't had a chance to jump into the multiplayer meta game since that's is where the meat of the game really is. There was also the problem with Namco Bandai pretty much ignoring the game after release and not updating it like they should have been. And the increased multiplayer focus actually sort of turned me off (seriously, why can I only turn parts when playing multiplayer? That makes no sense at all). It makes sense that it's being compared to MW since it is, one some levels, a similar game. However I would recommened to anyone interested in the AC series to check out the previous games in the series. My preferred iterations are Master of Arena (PS1), Another Age (PS2) and Silent Line (PS2). Last Raven is also very good but is a bit more complex when it comes to designing your AC.

So uh...yea, I guess I "prefer" Armored Core :P

spank said:

You forgot Metaltech.

Oh yes. Metaltech: Earthsiege 2 was the only giant mecha game I ever played. I got it free bundled with some PC gaming magazine eons ago. I might still have the CD in a dusty shoebox somewhere...

I've only ever played a demo of MechWarrior which was either 2 or 3 but I've never played anything of Armored Core so I voted MechWarrior as I found it to be alright.

I'm going to go with MechWarrior simply because its the only series I played any games from. To be honest though, I'd kill for a Mechwarrior style Gundam game.

DoomUK said:

I've never played either of them. What now?

Same here. Closest thing I ever played is One Must Fall 2097 (fun!)

Then again the old (1989-ish) MechWarrior and BattleTech "Crescent Empire" games are on my to-play list.

My votes goes to MechWarrior, especially 2 and 3. I pretty much gave up on the series after 4 though, with it's awful laggy controls that made it feel like you were constantly underwater. Plus I didn't like that your Mech moved like some guy in an FPS, basically Japanese style. Mechs should be slow tank-like machines, although that idea likely comes from playing MW first.

Will we ever see MechWarrior 5?

As a long time Battletech/Mechwarrior fan, it's pretty easy for me to pick my favorite. Of course, that's also including the extensive background and the themes that have had decades to mature. But even in terms of gameplay, I'm much more interested in a Mech sim than in a mech game, no matter the amount of customization involved.

By the way, Mechwarrior 5 was going to be a singleplayer game, but it turned into Mechwarrior Online, which is multiplayer only. However, the devs are really dedicated to the series, and the gameplay looks like an evolution of Mechwarrior 3's control scheme.

It's looking like I'm the only Armored Core nut around here :P

By the way Vaporizer, I thought you might like to know, that your fish avatar actually comes from a head part in Armored Core 3 (and a few sequels).

I honestly do prefer my giant fighting robots to control like tanks with hundreds of buttons. Armored Core's customization does appeal to me, but the mechs are too humanoid and fight like they're in an anime show. I don't like all the boosting, flying, laser swords and crap. Ergo, MechWarrior for me.

WW pretty much summed up my thoughts on AC vs MW

Scet said:

My votes goes to MechWarrior, especially 2 and 3. I pretty much gave up on the series after 4 though, with it's awful laggy controls that made it feel like you were constantly underwater. Plus I didn't like that your Mech moved like some guy in an FPS, basically Japanese style. Mechs should be slow tank-like machines, although that idea likely comes from playing MW first.

Will we ever see MechWarrior 5?

this pretty much is Mechwarrior 5. The original Mechwarrior 5 was canceled on account of Harmony Gold being total shit bags and getting their panties in a twist over them using an "unseen" mech (I think it was the warhammer but I'm not completely sure).

The real reason why MW5 was canned was because no publisher would support the game. This is in part to Microsoft shafting the franchise with Mechassault 1 and 2, although the Unseen bullshit wasn't helping.