Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
xxbio Warfare11

Doom 64 gloves

xxbio Warfare11 said:

Anybody else agree that the gloves in d64 look like oven mitts? Mainley when using fists?

You must know of oven mitts that I have never seen before.

A thought. Do you think Doomguy is tough enough not to bother wearing oven mitts when he's doing his baking? I imagine Hell is as hot as or hotter than an oven anyway, so he's probably conditioned to the heat.

DoomUK said:

A thought. Do you think Doomguy is tough enough not to bother wearing oven mitts when he's doing his baking? I imagine Hell is as hot as or hotter than an oven anyway, so he's probably conditioned to the heat.

Sure he loves to fiddle those hot cyber "buns".

TheUltimateDoomer666 said:

DoomGuy's fists look cooler in the PC version. No gloves (except when carrying a gun), just ironclad knuckles.

But in DOOM 64...
it looks like he's wearing some pair of blood-stained oven mitts.

The artists weren't on par with the talent at id.
The gloves aren't the only thing that looks strange in Doom64.

_bruce_ said:

The artists weren't on par with the talent at id.
The gloves aren't the only thing that looks strange in Doom64.

You could say that again. As petty as it may be, it drives me insane that I can't see Doomguy reload either of his shotguns in Doom 64. I have a similar problem with Quake 1.

Janus3003 said:

You could say that again. As petty as it may be, it drives me insane that I can't see Doomguy reload either of his shotguns in Doom 64. I have a similar problem with Quake 1.

It's not the fault of the artists -- the developers had to make a lot of compromises to fit everything within the N64's extremely strict data limits. This is also why several of Doom 2's monsters don't make an appearance in Doom64.

I thought they looked cool. But I'm biased, because I loved the overall look of that game (though I will admit it had some pretty dorky looking monsters).

Would be neat to see someone try to modernize it a bit.

Clonehunter said:

The gloves are pretty funky looking. Maybe they're just mittens. Might get cold on mars.

Doom64 is not set on Mars, but on Earth then later Hell if I am correct..

Mr. Chris said:

Doom64 is not set on Mars, but on Earth then later Hell if I am correct..

Its on Mars/Space.
As due note of the 3 secret key levels help the theme: Map 4 Secret/ Key 1- Space theme. Key 2: Castle (Altar of Pain's Secret) and Watch Your Step (map 18.. or something) key 3: Hell "Void"

Though I believe the Castle may be on Earth, but that was never explained actually, so It may as well be just an enigma as for where it stands?

Wikipedia says...
Following the conclusion of the original Doom series, the sole Marine who survived the horrors of hell had returned to Earth, reclaiming it from the invasion that almost eradicated the human race. Demons still lingered within the abandoned halls and complexes of Phobos and Deimos. As a last-ditch effort, the military decided to bombard the moons with extreme radiation in hopes of killing off any remaining demons. Initially it was successful, however something survived the exposure. The radiation blocked the military's sensors and allowed something to slip past them undetected. This mysterious entity, possessing the ability to resurrect any demon it came across, recreated the entire demonic horde and made it stronger than ever before. A Marine strike force was ordered to contain the advancing armies of hell but was mercilessly slaughtered within moments. The player's character is the sole survivor of this group.

'Hell' begins on map19 (The Spiral) not on Watch Your Step.
Oddly enough, there was never a interlude text when entering this episode.

Going off the topic and into the realm of speculation, I always assumed the Hell levels begun soon as 'Even Simpler', taking into account the text after 'Final Outpost': "The gateway to the demon's domain was too accessible." The blood-red sky, and otherworldly aesthetics/designs found in most levels afterwards are supportive of this.

D64 is my favorite as it appears to focus a lot more on Hell when compared to previous games, the marine explores many eerie regions and locales, soon reaching an extensive cavern, 'Pitfalls', which leads even deeper, into the fire and brimstone section of Hell, 'Burnt Offerings', etc,.

Indeed -- seems that way to me, especially considering the radical shift in architecture and the fact that the last "human" level is named "Final Outpost". Makes sense, and I've always admired the fact that Doom64 appears to take place largely in the otherwordly Hellplace. It's adventurous.