Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
General Rainbow Bacon

Speedmapping Session 8/26/12 - 8/27/12

Can't be good an earlier date? I'd like to do something at the moment but I won't have time on 25th.

Anyway, if this day is OK for everybody else, I'll try to adjust to the date.

I'll join in on this
What kind of maps are we making?
Haven't been in one of these before so I don't know the details.

edit: I think everyone forgot this I would love to try some other day though

Maybe. Moving into college on Friday. Dont see hwo that would impact Saturday though.

Well, here's how they work: Someone posts that one will be happening soon, then people sign up, then the morning of the day everyone agrees on, I will post the theme, time limit, and what time of day I will be accepting submissions until. Then the next day I compile at and it's good to go.

General Rainbow Bacon said:

Well, here's how they work: Someone posts that one will be happening soon, then people sign up, then the morning of the day everyone agrees on, I will post the theme, time limit, and what time of day I will be accepting submissions until. Then the next day I compile at and it's good to go.

Got it, Im in for this

Oh crap, I forgot, Here's the theme:

Make your version of map 05 from doom 2 (The Waste Tunnels) using stock textures. Time limit: 120 Minutes.

Sorry about that, had a busy week :/

E:I changed the date to today through tomorrow.

E2: Remember you can playtest your map past the time limit, 120 minutes is simply when you must put your creative pencil down.

I was creative and quick, so I did this map during 110-115 minutes, including playtest. It's second half might be a bit harder - but the beginning is surely playable. Vanilla-comatible, no difficulty settings.

http://rghost.net/40016580

Possible map names:
The Hidden Brick Factory
Brown and Red
Shit Bricks
Shotgun Tube

PS.: I don't know Doom2 MAP05 very well, however I hope it will fit to the theme. =) btw, I'll hug that guy who is able to finish it on Nightmare difficulty...

"Finished" my map, but it hasn't been playtested at all. I'm gonna spend the next 30-40 minutes playtesting, adding difficulties, map name fluff, but I'm not going to touch the architecture/textures/monster numbers at all. I'm pleased with it.

EDIT: Wow that took longer than expected. There was some HOM effect going on that I had no idea how to fix. Everything should be in working order though.

Download Filthy Burrow. Music by Paul Corfiatis.

Post Mortem: This was a lot of fun, but it's aggravating when your 2 hours are up and there all these unaligned textures and lighting issues. I'm terrified of how it would've played if there was no time to playtest... it's fine gameplay-wise now, although still a bit rough around the edges.

My map: Tunnels of Excrement

construction: 2hr
playtesting, monster/item balance, etc: 1hr

boom-compatible, no difficulty settings, a few alignment errors (as expected)

screenshots:
http://i.imgur.com/fcX64.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/kfVcn.jpg

edit: played through the other 2 maps thus far

katamori's: fairly easy, nice homage to the switch room. hurray for berzerk punching arch-viles!

filthy burrow: holy god the start of this one is rough. It took me probably 10-12 tries to get out of that first room alive, after that it was smooth sailing. In the last room a baron seems to be stuck until you shoot at it, but you mentioned you were still editing it so I figured you caught that already.

Here's my map "Waste the Tunnels"
http://www.mediafire.com/?rxuepv5nikv15li
No diff settings or detail but I put some music in it.
Took 85 minutes cause I messed up the planning.
I'll try making another map later I know I can do better than that but I'm busy at the moment.

edit: just saw I posted twice, sorry it won't let me delete

Here is my map, done exactly in 2 hours: DL

btw allowing to playtest\etc after the time runs out is wrong IMO. At least for me that kinda defeats the point of speedmapping.

2 Hour bullshit slaughter map

I spent most of my time on the layout, usually I like to spend a good portion of time working on game play but with 2 hours I figured putting most my time on layout would be the best goal. There is a high emphasis on using 45-degree's so I think this layout is highly stylized for the time spent. There isn't a lot of fine details there was simply just not enough time to really go past a interesting layout for the size of the map.

http://www.mediafire.com/?y17b668wcwiy6rx

not sure if that map conveys 'waste tunnels' to me, but was still pretty fun. Took me 13:57 to max. dear lord, how many imps come out of that teleporter?! 100 rockets and 300 shells later they were still pouring out -.-

I'm really impressed with a lot of the other maps... you guys definitely spent more time making an actual level than I did! I still refuse to believe Ribbiks and Pottus made their maps in 2 hours.

That is 2 hours for me man, why would I want to cheat? I got nothing to prove by doing that there is absolutely no honor in cheating, I did as much as I could do in 2 hours. Tell me to map something anything and I'll do more than that in 2 hours straight up.

Ok, I'm sorry it just felt insulting, I've spent a lot of time mapping and I really wouldn't want people to think i'm a "cheater" as your post in my view was strongly insinuating that point.