Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Fenriswolf

Official Story of Heretic SotSR?

Hello!
I do not know if this belongs here, but I could not find a better place for it. So we all know, after Corvur killed D'Sparil and stepped through the portal, he came out in some strange realms were he spends the 2 additional episodes of SotSR. But was there ever storyline text covering this subject from an official source? I did not find any and since I upgraded my 3-episode Heretic to the 5-episode Heretic I do not have any manual of SotSR in which I might find what I am searching for. Does this even exist? Thanks for your help!

Basically the idea is that upon dying, D'Sparil cursed you never to find your way back home. This is what is explained in the endgame texts, and is also placed in the introduction of Heretic II; where that curse is only broken once a tome of power suddenly becomes sentient for some reason and helps Corvus teleport to the proper plane.

The death of D'Sparil has loosed the magical bonds holding his creatures on this plane, their dying screams overwhelming his own cries of agony.

Your oath of vengeance fulfilled, you enter the portal to your own world, mere moments before the dome shatters into a million pieces.

But if D'Sparil's power is broken forever, why don't you feel safe? Was it that last shout just before his death, the one that sounded like a curse? Or a summoning? You can't really be sure, but it might just have been a scream.

Then again, what about the other serpent riders?

You thought you would return to your own world after D'Sparil died, but his final act banished you to his own plane. Here you entered the shattered remnants of lands conquered by D'Sparil. You defeated the last guardians of these lands, but now you stand before the gates to D'Sparil's stronghold. Until this moment you had no doubts about your ability to face anything you might encounter, but beyond this portal lies the very heart of the evil which invaded your world. D'Sparil might be dead, but the pit where he was spawned remains. Now you must enter that pit in the hopes of finding a way out. And somewhere, in the darkest corner of D'Sparil's demesne, his personal bodyguards await your arrival ...

As the final maulotaur bellows his death-agony, you realize that you have never come so close to your own destruction. Not even the fight with D'Sparil and his disciples had been this desperate. Grimly you stare at the gates which open before you, wondering if they lead home, or if they open onto some undreamed-of horror. You find yourself wondering if you have the strength to go on, if nothing but death and pain await you. But what else can you do, if the will to fight is gone? Can you force yourself to continue in the face of such despair? Do you have the courage? You find, in the end, that it is not within you to surrender without a fight. Eyes wide, you go to meet your fate.

So, SotSR is basically Corvus' odyssey, the long (and unfinished) story of his attempt to return home, and being thwarted at every step by the vengeful servants of the demon-god he slew.

HERETIC MISSION PACKS FOREVER, all canon!! God I love this game, unlike Doom it really gives a believable open arc for you to place your PWAD stories in.

Gez said:

...and is also placed in the introduction of Heretic II; where that curse is only broken once a tome of power suddenly becomes sentient for some reason and helps Corvus teleport to the proper plane.

The tome states it has been reactivated and enabled to find the way home via the activation of its sister tomes by Morcalavin in his attempt to cast the Spell of Ascension.

Thank all of you for the replies so far!
So it seems like the 2 texts at the end of episode 4 and 5 are all we get? There is no other external text from the programmers about this Add-on, especially its story? I am in search of all the historic stuff available about Heretic SotSR... ;)

The story of EP4 and 5 leaves allot of room for ones imagination and sometimes that's better than a novel telling you X happened and then Y and so on.

And though it's been mentioned, a video of it hasn't been posted here: Heretic 2's intro, which basically tells the EP4 and 5 plot with some pretty pictures to help ones imagination.

I honestly considered Episodes 4 and 5 to serve as bonus episodes, much like Episode 4 of Ultimate Doom, yet I am aware that they do continue on telling the stories of Corvus's struggles to find his way back home (SotSR) and Doomguy returning to Earth finding it in ruins thanks to Hell (Ultimate Doom), which sets the stage for Doom 2. Despite the extra episodes having the same gameplay as the previous, they are still fun to blast through and offer a hardcore challenge.