Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Lightning Hunter

(Not So) Abandoned Project

Here's the deal. I started a Megawad in about 2001 that I've done work for on and off by myself until about a year ago. The project is meant to work in any limit-removing source port (Doomsday, Zdoom, etc.) About 14 levels are completed, but life has just gotten too busy, and I've come to terms that the project will never be completed. Instead of completely abandoning all my hard work, I thought I'd ask if anyone out there is looking to possibly merge 14 decent maps with their own project. I won't just give this project to anyone, since I am kind of hoping it will end up in a pack with other levels of comparable quality (I may be hoping for too much). Either way, I thought I'd try.

Here are a few screenshots:

Wow! That is actually some really really nice looking style... as a matter of fact I have only one proposal I don't know how you would feel about it or what other members in the community would think.

Here it goes, Doom's 20'th anniversary is coming up next near this from my view would make a good base for a community project to create a anniversary wad.

Pottus said:

Wow! That is actually some really really nice looking style... as a matter of fact I have only one proposal I don't know how you would feel about it or what other members in the community would think.

Here it goes, Doom's 20'th anniversary is coming up next near this from my view would make a good base for a community project to create a anniversary wad.

Thanks. Some of my hardest work for any game has gone into this project, and I'm sad to create this thread. However, life has just gotten too busy, and I'm getting too old to be working on this. I must hand it off to someone else. I'll look into the anniversary wad, but other suggestions are welcome.

The first 6 levels actually use a hub-like system. You start out in the same spot outside surrounded by buildings for the first episode, and enter a new building each level. When you conquer a level, that building is closed off, and a new one is open. Once you beat the first episode, you progress in an adventure style. In fact, when you beat each level after that, the next level starts where the previous level ended. There are no exit switches that magically transverse you across the world. If anyone has played Unreal 1, they should know this system well.

Well there is one thing though.... ceiling architecture looks on the second last screenshot you know flimsy :D

But i'd like to see some more screenies!

I would ask to merge it into my megawad that's sitting around half finished but most the levels in it were rushed and kind of shit and need a ton of tweaking if I ever get around to it.

Plus your level of detailing on those maps are kinda way better looking than my best ones so they'd prolly clash with the other maps too.

I guess I could always get someone to beautify my maps though?

Hmm, you do realize that a wad doesn't need to have all 32 maps replaced to be good? Why not just release all completed maps?

I agree with Memfis, you could release the 14 maps as is. Plus, you're guaranteed the Mordeth award for this year's cacowards, unless someone releases an even older project.

Just release as is, skillsaw did the same thing with Vanguard and it wasn't any less phenomenal

kmxexii said:

Just release as is, skillsaw did the same thing with Vanguard and it wasn't any less phenomenal

And there was also Surge by Joshy, that was great too.

Memfis said:

Hmm, you do realize that a wad doesn't need to have all 32 maps replaced to be good? Why not just release all completed maps?

this. the obsession a lot of people have with having to have 32 levels to make a release borders on the creepy

TimeOfDeath said:

I agree with Memfis, you could release the 14 maps as is. Plus, you're guaranteed the Mordeth award for this year's cacowards, unless someone releases an even older project.

gf cchest4?

I'm adding my voice to the chorus who'd like to see the completed maps released as is. Nice screenshots, hope it doesn't run that slowly in other ports.

Can you send me the golden sky texture? Full credit will be give. It would really suit at least one of my upcoming maps.

In other news, it's a shame this project is being abandoned as it looks amazing.

Judging from your screenshots, those look like very well-constructed maps. I hope they get released in some form. It would be a shame to lose such a cool-looking project.

I think the consensus here is, if you abandon this project we'll kidnap you and lock you in a storage room with nothing but bananas to eat, and you can't come out unless you agree to finish the megawad... or die of banana poisoning ;)

Well, the comments on this thread have inspired me to try to find some spare time to polish up the maps I have completed, and possibly add a few more. This pack will have around 15-17 maps when I'm done, depending on how much time I have to spare (I really don't have much time to work on this). I found some time today on my day off to significantly improve a Volcano map I had created before. I did notice a minor drop in fps from the sheer amount detail, but my computer is also 10 years old. So far none of the other maps cause any lag for me (except in the current unstable version of Doomsday, which is not optimized very well). Zdoom and Risen3d run this pack at full fps in every area except the Volcano. More news to come later.

By the way, just to point out a random statistic - the map in the last screenshot has 2161 sectors, and 16287 line defs. Biggest map I've ever created, although I'm sure it's not the largest out there. I originally fiddled with the idea of having the first 6 maps combined into one large map, since they all go together - but it would have just been too big (like 10,000 sectors).

MajorRawne said:

How do you check how many sectors and linedefs there are in a map?

With SLADE 3 and the Doom wiki.

Look at the size of a single linedef struct on the wiki. Look at the size of the LINEDEFS lump in SLADE 3. Perform a division of the latter by the former: you have your line count.

The secret wizard technique for the sector count is left as an exercise for the reader.

Uh. In Doom Builder 1.68 I check how many sectors/linedefs/etc are in a map by simply looking in the down left corner.

Lightning Hunter said:

Well, the comments on this thread have inspired me to try to find some spare time to polish up the maps I have completed, and possibly add a few more.

Glad to hear it!

There is no download link in this thread, and you did not post for more than year.. Did you consider to release it "as it is" ? Do you still work on it? I would really enjoy to play these maps and I am worried that they will be just gone with your next hdd crash or something like that. Would be a lot of wasted effort.