Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Hellbent

Strange Addictions

I have an addiction to carbonated beverages in general. I've cut down on my pop consumption, but replaced it with Perrier -- a more expensive drink.

Maybe you should buy a device that lets you carbonate your own drinks. Then you can have carbonated earl grey! (bleagh)

You people dont know the meaning of strange addictions

Mine is that I have to pull the hairs from my middle knuckles. If I notice new ones growing I have to pull them out - even if I dont have tweezers handy.

Aliotroph? said:

Maybe you should buy a device that lets you carbonate your own drinks. Then you can have carbonated earl grey! (bleagh)

I was looking at one in Walmart. The price was around ninety dollars though. I also love earl grey tea, but only Twinings. I drank that very often.

DarkJedi188 said:

I was introduced to a cassette of Jean-Michel Jarre way before being introduced to a cassette of Kraftwerk. I first heard [i]"Les Chants Magnetiques"...

I liked Magnetic Fields too, but not as much as Oxygene. Mainly Oxygene 2 and 4 remained stuck in my head for their epic coolness.

Fun fact: From what I've heard, Jarre was pretty poor when he did Oxygene, only having an ARP 2600 and some few other synths. Obviously, this only adds up to the coolness of the album.

I eat paper... it's not something I'm conscious of, I just do it sometimes, especially at work. The sides of the dot matrix printer paper that you tear off are my favourite. I have a soft spot for the corners of newspapers too.

Technician said:

but replaced it with Perrier

Bleargh.
Water with a disgusting pharmaceutical drug, but with no medical effect. Sshhiiiissh.

Well, "strange addictions"? I bite my nails and have many compulsive behaviors, one of them being making sure my arms get nowhere near the soap dispenser on the sink. Also, may I just say this really odd addiction: If you've seen my YouTube channel (seeable in the Post Your Doom Video thread), you've seen dolls. children's dolls. Embarassing. Dora the--nothing...

glenzinho said:

I eat paper... it's not something I'm conscious of, I just do it sometimes, especially at work. The sides of the dot matrix printer paper that you tear off are my favourite. I have a soft spot for the corners of newspapers too.

Hmm, now that's one I haven't heard of too often. Has it affected any of your regular diets? (as in, you accidentally substitute a bag of chips with some paper?)

I have an addiction to salty foods that are generally bad for you. Popcorn, chips, salty crackers in general are things I find myself munching on constantly. Good thing I excercise regularly, or I'd melt into a tub o' lard.

Hahaha! No it doesn't affect any of my normal eating habits, although I find when I get a morning pie & donut I sometimes like to eat a bit after I've finished those... I have no fucking idea why I do this, but it's very appealing. It's a kind of habit at my work; customer comes in, print order (off shitty old dot matrix type printers), tear edges off (with the perforated bits), rip this in half, put in mouth, chew like gum, and that's it! At home I don't have this urge. Now I look at what I've written above, it is REALLY fucking strange, but i've always done it, ever since I was a child. Back then I would tear the corners off of books and newspapers. Nothing with ink on it though, my shit's got to be pure! Maybe it's good ruffage?

Xane123 said:

Well, "strange addictions"? I bite my nails and have many compulsive behaviors, one of them being making sure my arms get nowhere near the soap dispenser on the sink. Also, may I just say this really odd addiction: If you've seen my YouTube channel (seeable in the Post Your Doom Video thread), you've seen dolls. children's dolls. Embarassing. Dora the--nothing...

You forgot about your addiction to striking things out in your posts bro

I just realized yesterday that my good buddy has a strange addiction to buying new cars. He's owned 5 new cars since I first met him 3 years ago.

That's nothing. Since 2005, my brother-in-law has owned:

Two Ford F-150s
Two Ford Explorers
Two Mitsubishi 3000 GTs
Range Rover
Dodge Challenger
Dodge Viper
Porsche Carerra
Mercedes AMG Roadster

Also managed to get his wife a Porsche Cayenne.

Bucket said:

Two Ford F-150s
Two Ford Explorers
Two Mitsubishi 3000 GTs
Range Rover
Dodge Challenger
Dodge Viper
Porsche Carerra
Mercedes AMG Roadster

and he doesn't have connections to the auto industry?

Edit: Does he get the cars through his job? I mean, my friend actually trades in for new cars every 8 months; not because of his job or other reasons.

Bucket said:

Two Ford F-150s
Two Ford Explorers
Two Mitsubishi 3000 GTs
Range Rover
Dodge Challenger
Dodge Viper
Porsche Carerra
Mercedes AMG Roadster

If I had that kind of money I'd be like this guy. If you don't have quite enough money to keep them all at once then it's understandable how you'd get bored if a particular car after a while and swap it for something else, if you like cars. Unless it's something vintage and highly collectable.

ducon said:

Bleargh.
Water with a disgusting pharmaceutical drug, but with no medical effect. Sshhiiiissh.

There's nothing in Perrier but CO2 and Water, and some flavorings. If you want a real scam: there's been a little craze here in my town with homeopathic ingredients in sports drinks. Does it work? Hell no.

Aliotroph? said:

Cafeterias often use those, and actually use concentrated syrups mixed with carbonated water on-the-fly to produce e.g. orange pop, cola, soda etc.

It's hilarious when the water-syrup ratio gets screwed up, due to misalignment, or the water/syrup running low. Too much water: piss-watery drinks. Too little water: very concentrated drinks, or even pure cola/soda syrup :-D

Csonicgo said:

There's nothing in Perrier but CO2 and Water, and some flavorings. If you want a real scam: there's been a little craze here in my town with homeopathic ingredients in sports drinks. Does it work? Hell no.

Surely you mean a craze with homeopathic ingredients that aren't in sports drinks! :D

Technician said:

I have an addiction to carbonated beverages in general. I've cut down on my pop consumption, but replaced it with Perrier -- a more expensive drink.

I must admit to drinking lots of mineral water too - however I buy Sainsbury's flavoured water, which currently costs only £1.50 for four 1L bottles, compared to Perrier at £1.00 for a single 1L bottle (or to put it another way: £6.00 for sixteen 1L bottles versus £6.00 for six 1L bottles).

Anyway, I seem to have developed an addiction to doing weights recently. For instance, I find myself grabbing the dumb bells and doing a few reps almost whenever a cutscene comes up in a game I'm playing ;). If I watch a movie at home, I'm often exhausted by the end - I dare not try watching the whole LotR trilogy in one sitting :P.

I was at the Taste of Danforth (some street long festival for food) a few weeks back, and Cheetah, the brand that sold their energy drinks, were pushing a new product titled: Genius. Curious, I bought a can and tried it. It was a disgustingly salty carbonated cucumber water can. It tasted better after all the gas fizzled out

Violator said:

Not really an addiction but I've been smoking fuck loads of weed lately

That sounds like an addiction to me. Try going without weed for two days and then see if you're addicted.

Aliotroph? said:

Surely you mean a craze with homeopathic ingredients that aren't in sports drinks! :D

Given homeopathy's "less is more" philosophy, does the absence of an active ingredient constitute an overdose?