Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Hellbent

Strange Addictions

DoomUK said:

I used to have a massive collection of CDs too but I sold them all off when I found out I could store them all on my computer.

I'd never do that. I have close to if not more than 300 CDs, still continually buy them and certainly won't be parting with them.

DoomUK said:

Maybe when your houses become labyrinths of CDs and cassettes and vinyl, you know you've collected too much music.

But seriously, why hoard physical copies of albums these days when you can fit hundreds of them on a modestly-sized hard drive? I used to have a massive collection of CDs too but I sold them all off when I found out I could store them all on my computer.

I enjoy the tangible feel of an album, myself. Holding something in your hands that you know someone else created - or that you yourself created - is an almost spiritual experience for me.

I keep vinyls around of my favorite albums (mostly Kraftwerk) because I enjoy their dynamic range, and because I have fond memories of placing the needle on 33s and 45s from growing up. It feels good to still do that.

On that note, my digital music collection is 92g in size.

DoomUK said:

But seriously, why hoard physical copies of albums these days when you can fit hundreds of them on a modestly-sized hard drive?

For (more) backup.

printz said:

Are you saying that the job (i.e. financial stability) is a powerful motivator to get rid of addictions if it asks you so? That's quite nice really.

My good friend quit smoking pot because of work.

Even though I'm not a participant of either community, I like clicking on threads that involve bronies or furries. I guess I'm addicted to the rage and butthurt generated from the naysayers (or should that be neigh-sayers?).

I guess I should start backing up my collection. I prefer CDs and DVD audio, but there are a lot of albums I've had for years that are starting to get scratched beyond recognition.

yukib1t said:

I keep vinyls around of my favorite albums (mostly Kraftwerk) because I enjoy their dynamic range,

You mean lack of.
http://www.enjoythemusic.com/magazine/manufacture/0909/

yukib1t said:

Holding something in your hands that you know someone else created - or that you yourself created - is an almost spiritual experience for me.

I guess you mean something that was put onto CD/tape/vinyl by the artist personally. Hard to imagine one of millions of copies of a CD from some manufacturing plant being that special, unless you got it signed or something.

Nomad said:

I don't think I'm addicted to anything, except maybe compulsive masturbation.

Methinks you're describing approximately 99% of the world's population.

I guess I've become addicted to falling asleep at night with music playing through headphones.
Then I'm also addicted to using a computer for artsy/crafty things rather than just socializing or playing games. (Yes, I prefer to invest my spare time into making a WAD or a BSP or something rather than lounging around at some pub and getting drunk.)
And I'm also addicted to cosplays of fictional characters, regardless of whether they're furry or non-furry, although I've yet to actually do a cosplay myself. So far I've only been attending cons and taking tons of photos of other people cosplaying. But someday when/if I get to earn more money then I will definitely invest into costumes for myself.

I don't know if it's an addiction, but I certainly spend more money on beer than I should. What's more, I can't remember the last time I bought an alcoholic beverage that wasn't beer. I like mist types of spirits, but the only drink I ever purchase is a brew.

Not addicted, but I'm certainly not smart about it.

Csonicgo said:

I think he means that you can't pull the loudness war BS on them . It's close to impossible to do so.

Impossible, my ass. If you can record sound on it, you can compress and clip the shit out of it.
My suggestion would be to stop listening to radio drivel and booty poppin' music, and find artists who produce music with substance.

DoomUK said:

I guess you mean something that was put onto CD/tape/vinyl by the artist personally. Hard to imagine one of millions of copies of a CD from some manufacturing plant being that special, unless you got it signed or something.

Eh, I dunno. It still feels special to me, even if it's mass produced. But yeah, CDs made by the artists themselves, or signed copies, feel even more special to me. Especially when you hold one of your own albums, artwork and all, in your hands. It's just... special.

yukib1t said:

I keep vinyls around of my favorite albums (mostly Kraftwerk)...

WE RE CHARGING OUR BA-TE-RY
(TA-NA-NA-NA-NA-NA-NA-NA-NA)
AND NOW WE FULL OF E-NERGY
(TA-NA-NA-NA-NA-NA-NA-NA-NA)
WE AR ZE ROBOTS
(TA-TA-NA-NA)
WE AR ZE ROBOTS
(TA-TA-NA-NA)
WE AR ZE ROBOTS
(TA-TA-NA-NA)
WE AR ZE ROBOTS
(TA-TA-NA-NA)
(PEEEEW)
(CRRRRSH)
(BOOM)
(TA-NA-NA)

Ja tvoi sluga
Ja tvoi Rabotnik robotnik

(TA-TA-NA-NA)
(TA-TA-NA-NA)

j4rio said:

Urgh. You really, and I mean like REALLY really don't wanna know.

Pretty much everyone can be addicted to keeping at least 1 skeleton in a closet. I think it's part of human nature.

[PROTOTYPE] said:
Ja tvoi sluga
Ja tvoi Rabotnik robotnik
(TA-TA-NA-NA)
(TA-TA-NA-NA)

Oh, I LOVE that! First heard it in 1996 and thought that it was modern. Was surprised to discover that it's from 1970s. ^_^
Brings back memories.

DarkJedi188 said:

Oh, I LOVE that! First heard it in 1996 and thought that it was modern. Was surprised to discover that it's from 1970s. ^_^
Brings back memories.

Yeah, same for me! When I was like 4 yr I had some electronic music cassetes (Jean Michelle Jarre, Vangelis, etc.), but I was obsessed with Krafrwerk's Computerwelt. I kept listeting to it in a row until the day ended for most part.

I remember always asking myself like, how the fuck do they do that sound and this one right here, and what the fuck is that weird robot voice and how do they do it.

Well, I guess I'm grateful. I mean, if it weren't for these guys, I would've probably never had any kind of interest in synthesizers and all that...

Well, I've never had a Kraftwerk addiction, but they are cool. My weird music preferences carried me in the general direction of space disco some time last year and have yet to return.

TV Tropes is an awesome time sink. I've had a permanent tab since some time last year and still haven't run out of random crap to read.

Aliotroph? said:

TV Tropes is an awesome time sink. I've had a permanent tab since some time last year and still haven't run out of random crap to read.

I had that with ED when I was at uni.

Bucket said:

Impossible, my ass. If you can record sound on it, you can compress and clip the shit out of it.

Not impossible, though vinyl's inherent limitations make CD-level compression extremely difficult to achieve, unless you enjoy watching the stylus jump tracks.

[PROTOTYPE] said:
When I was like 4 yr I had some electronic music cassetes (Jean Michelle Jarre, Vangelis, etc.), but I was obsessed with Krafrwerk's Computerwelt. I kept listeting to it in a row until the day ended for most part.

I was introduced to a cassette of Jean-Michel Jarre way before being introduced to a cassette of Kraftwerk. I first heard "Les Chants Magnetiques" in 1992 when I was 8 years old. I kept playing that tape over and over and over again for every single day of that summer while flipping through various comicbooks and magazines. Literally every day of that summer from the moment that I woke up and ate breakfast almost up to the time that I had to go to bed at night.
I was introduced to Kraftwerk's cassette 4 years after this. I first heard it in my mom's car, and I kept asking my parents to play it every single time that they drove me somewhere. ^_^

I dunno if this really is for this topic but hell I'm addicted to Cups of Tea like alot of english people. I've drank tea since I was about 6 years old and 15 years later I still drink the same amount of tea heh.

I have the tea addiction now too. My family always drank tea (English grandparents and mom), so I always liked it. However, I started drinking a lot of it when I decided to quit pop. I have lots of variety because I acquired all the tea people gave to mom that she didn't like.