Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Fenriswolf

Graphical Bug in some obscure project of mine

Hey!
I just found the wad of some old Heretic Project of me and decided to finish it. In fact it does not have to do that much with heretic anymore, my goal was to create a completely different game some kind of TC, with some RPG feel to it. I do not even know if I will ever release this one since it does look really crappy, some parts of it intentional (I wanted to let it look a bit like a pre-92 RPG ...) partwise not (my skills are just very bad)... but it has some personal value for me, so I want to get it finished.
When I playtested it, I got to that point that was one of the reasons I gave up this project. it is a graphical bug, not what you call a HoM, but a bit like this:

It looks like this when you stand before the quay:

And like this when you are on the quay and look back to the town:

I tried many times to get this right but failed every time. Do you have any tips? I would also send this map to one of you, if you want to take a closer look on this. Any Help or Advise would be great, thank you very much!

PS: Umm... the screenshots a a bit small, thats because I play thsi with minimal resolution to let it look older :/

Upon just looking at the screenshot it looks like an unclosed sector.

Fenriswolf said:

I do not even know if I will ever release this one since it does look really crappy

I think it actually looks pretty interesting (or at least original), pls release it when you finish. :D
This bug indeed looks like an unclosed sector, you can try using Doombuilder's "find bugs" command to find out which lines cause it.

Use3D said:

Upon just looking at the screenshot it looks like an unclosed sector.

Agreed.

@Fenriswolf: Have you run an error check on the map?

Kind of ashaming that I could not figure out that myself... :/ I used to do a lot of mapping a few years a go and had a long break, now I try to get back into it, but it is really hard because I have to work with DoomBuilder 2 (DB 1 won't work on Windows 7) and I find most things much more complicated and irritating than they were in DB1. I know most people will disagree with me on this and of course I do see that DB2 brought some improvements but all in all I miss the times with DB1...Now I find myself messing up more things than I actually build or fix :(

But at least, I managed to fix the Bug with your help! But I am quite sure that this won't be the last question I have about this project...

Fenriswolf said:

Kind of ashaming that I could not figure out that myself... :/ I used to do a lot of mapping a few years a go and had a long break, now I try to get back into it, but it is really hard because I have to work with DoomBuilder 2 (DB 1 won't work on Windows 7) and I find most things much more complicated and irritating than they were in DB1. I know most people will disagree with me on this and of course I do see that DB2 brought some improvements but all in all I miss the times with DB1...Now I find myself messing up more things than I actually build or fix :(

But at least, I managed to fix the Bug with your help! But I am quite sure that this won't be the last question I have about this project...

I've heard a few people say they prefer DB1 for some reason. Since I've never used it, what does it do different?

I think DB2 is awesome and easy to use, but last time I made Doom levels I used DCK (shiver), so I guess anything will feel awesome. :p

Fenriswolf said:

..... (DB 1 won't work on Windows 7) .....

While I do not use DB1, I can certainly run it in Windows 7 64-bit and 32-bit.

Just out of curiosity, why can't you run it ?
Do you get some kind of error message or won't it run at all.

I've heard a few people say they prefer DB1 for some reason. Since I've never used it, what does it do different?

If you are are able to work with DB2 and having no trouble, stick to it. It has some improvements indeed, for example that you are able to seethe floor textures in the editing mode, I really like this new feature. But there are differences concerning the controls that I have problems with. For example: When drawing lines/sectors you could deselect it by clicking somewhere in the black with the LMB - in DB2 I had to press the C-key every time, which I think is inconveniant.
Another example: When I wanted to texture the walls in 3D mode in DB1, when I clicked LMB I could immidiately choose a texture for the wall, MMB was copying a texture and RMB was pasting it. Very plausible in my opinion. Now, since the wall selection was added, clicking on a wall will just select it and you have to do an additional click (already forgot it) to choose a texture for this wall.

While I do not use DB1, I can certainly run it in Windows 7 64-bit and 32-bit.

Just out of curiosity, why can't you run it ?
Do you get some kind of error message or won't it run at all.

Really? This gives me at least some hope :) I will definitely try it again when I return home tomorrow. I would love to work with DB1 again but I only tried it once on the new PC and since it didn't work I thought it was too old maybe.

Man, this looks awesome! :D
I hope you finish this one, I enjoy playing trough such TCs a lot more than normal doom add-ons!

Oh haha thank you very much, but those were just two very small screens^^ But I did not expect any positive feedback, and am really happy right now and might be even motivated to make this one public ;)

Fenriswolf said:

For example: When drawing lines/sectors you could deselect it by clicking somewhere in the black with the LMB - in DB2 I had to press the C-key every time, which I think is inconveniant.

Can't you change this by configuring the key bindings to your liking?