Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
peach freak

Texture dimensions/power of 2

I got a couple of textures of kitchen appliances for one of my maps (dishwasher, microwave, etc). I haven't put them into my WAD yet because I noticed the dimensions of these textures.

256x48
60x90
96x51
64x70

If I put these textures into my WAD as-is (using the Doom 2 Engine), would that cause problems when playing it on say, Chocolate Doom? Wasn't there something about texture dimensions needing to be a power of 2 when being in a WAD?

Thanks.

Your textures' widths must be a power of 2, so the 60-wide and 96-wide textures will need to be adjusted to 64-wide and 128-wide, respectively. If you don't need to tile them, you can just fill out the remaining width with a solid color. (I'd recommend a color similar to that of the texture itself, so that any bleedthrough from roundoff errors around the edges won't be obvious.)

In vanilla, and by extension in Chocolate Doom, your textures can be a maximum of 128 units tall. They can be shorter than that, but any height other than 128 won't be able to tile vertically without glitches.

Many source ports are more lax with textures' heights, and a few like ZDoom are more lax with their widths as well, but if you want your map to be compatible with anything, these are the rules.

peach freak said:

I got a couple of textures of kitchen appliances for one of my maps (dishwasher, microwave, etc). I haven't put them into my WAD yet because I noticed the dimensions of these textures.

256x48

Are those industrial appliances? Or just all the sides for a 64x64x48 cuboid?

Does ZDoom tile vertically without glitches textures of non-power-of-2 height? (GZDoom does)

Gez said:

Are those industrial appliances? Or just all the sides for a 64x64x48 cuboid?

They are the front sides of kitchen appliances, so I'd need to be creative with coloring in the other sides.

Why, do you have better textures that I could use?