Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Clonehunter

Strife Multiplayer CD

It's apparently the demo version, which I haven't seen on CD before. That cover looks to be based on the retail version's manual back cover.

Added to my eBay watch list.

Bump!

(990x1000 - 196k)

Here we go, I was surprised to notice that the skull's a few shades darker than it appears on the retail manual. I settled on 200dpi for this scan since there's a bunch of fine marks and scratches on the sleeve that are bound to be more noticeable at a higher resolution, but I'll go higher if you want.

Finding out means breaking the seal, which I'm a little reluctant to do. I'd be surprised if it's any different to the demo in the archives.

GreyGhost said:

Finding out means breaking the seal, which I'm a little reluctant to do. I'd be surprised if it's any different to the demo in the archives.

There are two versions of the Strife teaser. One on the archive, and another.

I found the older teaser some times ago on a random website, but I don't remember which. And I don't really want to look for it too much because I remember it also had downloads for commercial Doom mods (Master Levels, etc.) so I couldn't share the link anyway.

GreyGhost said:

Well what I found out about this one is how it says Multiplayer above all else. I don't know what the archive one is, but the heading on this one was just odd I guess. Also, that's a great scan, thanks!

Curiosity got the better of me, so I unglued one side of the sleeve and slid the disk out. It's the same version demo as in the archive but in a self-extracting zip file.

Also, is there any reason for this too be labeled as a Multiplayer Demo? You said its just the normal demo, so why the special heading? Because it's enabled?

There's some basic instructions printed on the CD, including how to launch a multiplayer game, so it'd be reasonable to assume it's enabled in all demo releases. I'll test that later on the home network, but don't hold your breath waiting since it'll probably involve some IPX to TCP voodoo to get things running.

GreyGhost said:

it'll probably involve some IPX to TCP voodoo to get things running.

Or use DOSBox's IPX emulation. Once I'd told the desktop's firewall to stop interfering it was dead easy to setup a LAN game with one of my laptops, running the archive's Strife demo on the IPX server and the CD demo on the client.

DOSBox has IPX Emulation? If I understand that right, a multiplayer game could be setup then in something like Powerslave then, right? I didn't know it had that feature, but then, I hardly use it as is.

Clonehunter said:

DOSBox has IPX Emulation?

It has. Apart from a co-operative firewall, all the client PCs need to establish a connection is the server's IP address.

If I understand that right, a multiplayer game could be setup then in something like Powerslave then, right?

Don't have a copy of PowerSlave to test, but it should be possible if the game supports IPX networking.

I didn't know it had that feature, but then, I hardly use it as is.

It's a feature I'd forgotten about. With DOSBox's emulation being IP-based, I wonder how well it works over an Internet connection?

Hm, it would be interesting to find out. PowerSlave only supports an IPX connection (Despite other claims). I'd always be interested to find out with that game... I think in all turth whe it comes to BUild games, I think I like it a bit more than Blood even... Crazy, I know.

Hm, I should also see if there are any IPX emulators for other games that only support it.

Isle and I were able to test Strife deathmatch via DosBox's IPX-over-TCP/IP emulation, and it was fairly fluid over a distance of 2 states in the US. This was in the commercial version, however. I have no idea how the demo behaves in deathmatch as I've never analyzed that part of its executable.

Gez said:

I found the older teaser some times ago on a random website, but I don't remember which. And I don't really want to look for it too much because I remember it also had downloads for commercial Doom mods (Master Levels, etc.) so I couldn't share the link anyway.

Do it anyway, just so it isn't a completely useless post.

No, it wasn't GameFront. It was a Doom-centric site with a listing of things available and a little commentary for each of them, with a rational for why it was there. The commentary for the Strife demo was along the line of "older demo than the one available on idgames".

Urban Space Cowboy said:

Do it anyway, just so it isn't a completely useless post.

Reason he can't is because it's against the forum rules, which prohibit warez, which distributing the master levels for free does count as such.