Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
kristus

Doombringer : Episode 1 Released on Steam!

Today me and a friend had another friendly test play of Doombringer.

We tried out the new instagib mode that Andrew added the other day. After that we played some regular Deathmatch where as I started Fraps and the framerate tanked to 30 so it was hard to play properly.

Anyway.
Enjoy.

The map design looks like it plays well. Plenty of verticality with stairs and a portal for beginners and rocket jumping for the experienced. Its tight enough so no one will get lost and you'll always have someone to fire a rocket at.

The game looks like it plays as well as Quake 3 and other similar games, so there's no problem there.

My issue with this video is that at this time nothing makes Doombringer feel or play different than similar games. While its an achievement, to make the game, more needs to be done to give it an identity.

Quite right, I completely agree.

The difference with Doombringer that we're looking to create is that it's aim isn't to be a multiplayer game, but a single player experience that is heavily inspired by the complex game play of the multiplayer titles it takes cues from. But currently we're focusing on getting the basic game play and assets down.

Once we got that. We'll move into giving it it's own identity. That's also why I'm only showing off Doombringer here. DW is our home turf on the web. I doubt anyone else would be interested in seeing it at this stage. :)

The map itself is a map a favorit map of Andrew that he converted over from Open Arena. So we can't really take any credit for the layout of it. ;)

Spoiler

Isnt that a re-textured quake 3 map ?
The layout is so close to a quake map, even the location of the portals that its kind of odd to look at.

Edit ; i somehow missed this.

kristus said:

The map itself is a map a favorit map of Andrew that he converted over from Open Arena. So we can't really take any credit for the layout of it. ;)

Tophat is cool. I made a similar character once.

Interested to see what kind of singleplayer stuff might be appearing into this.

Yeah. Mostly focused on appearance now and workflow. Trying to build a library of ideas for design that is a good mix between visually appealing and relatively easy on the processing power of the computer. Aswell as reasonably fast to build for.

Add some lamps there for some bright spots. The banner holder skull could probably look cool as a lamp holder too. Maybe it could also be cool to have some lamps behind a gear and then have the gear rotate to reveal/hide the lamps.

Things are slower now on the fall since work and other IRL stuff is taking up most of our time and energy.

But there's still progress. While most of my effort right now is spent experimenting with the design of the world, today I finished the low poly model of the railgun.
Textures and stuff are of course still not made for it.

Had a session where I spectated while two friends were playing the game yesterday. And then this happened.

We now got a working Duel game mode. Tested it yesterday with Crazy Al. We also talk about a few of the issues we're having currently with the game. But all things considering, they aren't all that many.

It will have both single and multiplayer. It is not our own engine. It is the darkplaces engine which is based off of the quake engine.

We've basically finished work on the scoreboard now. Closing in on getting the duel mode complete. Just a few kinks to work out with the queue system and such.

Had a gameplay test with good ol' chum CrazyAl yesterday where we played two good games on Aerowalk and Furnace. Also showing the callvote system working. And a breakdown of the system when you try to load a map that doesn't exist. (oops) The server doesn't crash, but it drops all players.

https://www.twitch.tv/kristus_gaming/v/55284962

EDIT: ALso, credit to Andrew Hulshult who made the Doom remade music you hear in the background.

Had a couple of games with Smilescythe today. It was great. Some really close games.