Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
kristus

Doombringer : Episode 1 Released on Steam!

Renders look really good. I especially like the player leg model. Looks a bit like cyberpunk Conan the Barbarian.

I know Darkplaces supports Half-Life and Q3 map formats, but are HL specific features such as the scripted_sequences entity function cross compatible for the other map formats?

It's just the map format, like being able to use the same bsp format files and curves etc. The entity structure is different because it's using the progs files from Quake. But you can set up your own. Since I am using Xonotic for instance, I am gonna have to reapply some things from Quake. Like monsters and single player starts etc. But it should be fairly simple. As far as Scripting goes. I don't know really. Xonotic got some added functionality. But it's pretty rudimentary, like using CVARs for setting up damage scales for weapons etc. There's not really anything in terms of level scripting outside of the progs files that I've seen so far anyway.

Showing off a bit of my cogs. Starting to get some work done on this again.

http://www.doglike.org/temp/xonotic20130719043607-00.jpg
http://www.doglike.org/temp/xonotic20130719042809-00.jpg

Problem I am having though is that I still need a programmer to help me with all the QuakeC (further developed version of QuakeC that is a lot more complicated so I don't understand anything of it myself). Anyway, I'll keep working on it whenever I can and eventually I'll have something to show that might be a bit more interesting and then maybe someone will be interesting to become my helper.

Those banners are so tall they look like they should be climbable or at least using a knife to gently float down.

Thhanks, I'm more proud of the cogs though really. They took more effort. Though the banners was something that I was not sure how I wanted to make them before I decided on this method. (Last time when I worked with Doom 3 I made banners as simple textures so I could just paste them into the maps using patch meshes which is the common way to do it, though it didn't look nearly as good as this result)

So I thought it was time to revive this thread again. This project has been through a damn rollercoaster since it's original inception. Certainly would have come a lot further in this time had I stayed with the Wrack engine. But then I would have been left more limited in what I could do and the vision I had for the game would have suffered, and in the end I've learnt a lot of shit. (that said, I recommend anyone to look into Wrack for modding, since there's a lot there to work with)

So, I went from Wrack to Sauerbraten to Xonotic and eventually found my place with good old Quake (Still using Darkplaces so the last switch was a very small step).

Since I started working with the QuakeC source and the additions that Darkplaces offers I really feel that this is starting to come together somewhat. Now I just gotta do all the actual work on the actual game. :p

And here's two shots of some models so you won't have to go without something to look at.
http://www.doglike.org/temp/DB_lowpoly.jpg
Getting there, just a bit more polish and I will be able to start rigging and animating him.
http://www.doglike.org/temp/DB_Shotgun.JPG
Hi poly of new weapon model I started working on yesterday.

B-b-b-but...! HIS TOPHAT!

How will our buff, Eggman-lookalike of a bruiser gentleman continue on without his defining feature?!

P.S. Good to see this is still being worked on.

Small update with a big deal to announce. I'm no longer alone in working on this project.
Andrew Apted has joined me to handle the coding, making me free to focus on the artwork and level design instead. Which is great, the project has made tremendous progress in very little time. :)

Rigging hands to hold the weapons in the POV:
http://www.doglike.org/temp/Doombringer_Hands.png

Just going to accept that I won't be able to create perfect art for this if I want to get somewhere.
http://www.doglike.org/temp/Doombringer_Hands2.png

OMG progress and stuff.

Andrew has added tons of stuff to the project and I've been focusing on getting essential models and stuff into the game. Doombringer player model has just been finished. Any more work on him would probably be mostly wasted effort now. As in, anything I change now won't really show when you play anyway. So rigging and texturing is next on him.

Strong Quake-ish vibe in architecture, which is to be expected from you. ;) I don't know if the visuals are placeholder or by design, but personally I love the minimalist, clean feel of arena shooters with noiseless textures and always wished to see single-player games following suit.

Thanks. :) Yeah, It's my aim to go for a very stylized and clean design for the world. After playing a lot of Quake Live, I realized that I preferred the cleaner aesthetic you got when you forced the textures to not draw.

It's also an ambition of the game to be more like a single player experience that takes it's inspiration from the game play of multiplayer. Not sure how well I'll manage to pull that off. But right now I we are focusing on getting a multiplayer demo build together where we can get the basics down. Then we'll move on to making the single player maps and monsters.

I'm still working on the conceptualization of the design for the maps though. So, you can say it's a bit of both. But the idea is to have the maps be more abstract and colorful like in the example.

So I am testing the capabilities of the RTlights in Darkplaces (aswell as what other options the engine support).

Here's a comparision between baked lighting and realtime lighting in the same scene.

Baked lighting

Real time rendered lights

Notice the FPS :p Though this was a hastily put together test. Another test I did with RT lights, where I used them in a more Doom3 like way, I did get away with a fair bit better FPS. Still though, the hit to the frames are quite large.

Had a friend come in and help me test the game in multiplayer for the first time.

We had a rather peculiar bug breaking our stride, that we couldn't pick up all weapons at all times. Sometimes, none of them would be picked up. Some other times, all of them could be picked up. :p

The map is a paraphrase of Aerowalk that I clobbered togeher in a day or two a few weeks ago. It's a bit smaller than the original though and moves a bit more clumsily because of it. But it was the only map which were feature complete.

Also, apologies for the dark lightning. It's not representative of the final game.

Apologies for the Swedish, I'm swedish, he's swedish.

Last night I made my first map for Doombringer what I like to call "feature complete". IE, it's not done really. But it got everything it needs to be a playable map really.

Anyway, I've made a short video of me running and jumping around like a twat for your enjoyment.

Will it be a single player or multiplayer game? The bright colors and style remind me of Wrack meets Quake. Of course I haven't played Wrack for a year.

To start with we're making a playable multiplayer demo. Once we're happy with the base game we'll start making monsters and single player maps etc.

kristus said:

Last night I made my first map for Doombringer what I like to call "feature complete". IE, it's not done really. But it got everything it needs to be a playable map really.

Anyway, I've made a short video of me running and jumping around like a twat for your enjoyment.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Wp9MwPxXrw

"HUGH, HUGH, HUGH HUGH HUGH... HUGH"
Seriously though, that movement is spot on.
You did a great job getting that "tight but floaty" feel perfect.
Looking forward to trying it.

That movement, though. Love it. I just hear Q3 / Red Alert 2 music in my head, some Industrial metal or something, while watching that. And those weapons, very untraditional and ungeneric, good job! Don't really see that anymore, creativity in guns. I almost wanna cancel plans for tonight and start making Industrial tunes. xD