Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Fenriswolf

Intermission and print messages lasting longer?

Hello!
How can I achieve that the text messages produced with "Print" in ZDoom last more than just a few seconds? If this is not possible within the map definitions/scripts, is there another way to achieve this? Also, the cluster-exittext-screen disappears very quickly if theres a lot of text it is not possible to read it all. What can I do?
Thank you! :)

Fenriswolf said:

Hello!
How can I achieve that the text messages produced with "Print" in ZDoom last more than just a few seconds?

ZDoom wiki said:
Print will print something to the screen. This can be text or variables or any combination of the two. Note that Print is fairly inflexible (there is no way to modify the position on screen or the time the message stays up) so you may wish to consider using HudMessage instead.

Fenriswolf said:

Also, the cluster-exittext-screen disappears very quickly if theres a lot of text it is not possible to read it all. What can I do?
Thank you! :)

Normally it disappears once the player presses use to quit the intermission...

Thank both of you!
Now I used HudMessage and it works. But there is still a small problem, although I did not use "0" as a HoldTime, it does stay forever. I want it to stay for about 10 seconds, but it won't disappear. Thats what I got:

hudmessage (s:"hello"; HUDMSG_PLAIN | HUDMSG_LOG | HUDMSG_COLORSTRING , 1,"white", 0.1, 0.1, 10); 
Edit:
Now I tried this:
 hudmessage (s:"maybe the denizens of these lands know where to find ben-amun!"; HUDMSG_FADEOUT  | HUDMSG_LOG | HUDMSG_COLORSTRING , 1,"white", 1.5,0.5, 40, 40);
But now, the Message only stays on the screen less than a second! :(

Fixed point for times.
Try that

#include "zcommon.acs"

script 1 open
{

// hudmessage (text; HUDMSG_FADEOUT, int id, int color, fixed x, fixed y, fixed holdTime, fixed fadetime);

hudmessage (s:"maybe the denizens ....."; HUDMSG_FADEOUT, 0, CR_GOLD, 1.5, 0.5, 10.0, 3.0);

}
The only problem with that is, the text is very small.
You could use a font like so ...

a 1:1 snippet from a 1920x1080 monitor

example

[edit]
also this for information