Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Memfis

Speed demo contest: REFUSE.WAD

It's spontaneous demo contest time! (Plut from the Russian forum came up with the idea yesterday :]) The rules are simple:
- record a Ultimate Doom compatible demo (-complevel 3 in prboom-plus) on REFUSE.WAD. It's a very nice 94/95-inspired vanilla map by Aleksej Selivyorstov, I'm sure you'll love it.
- three categories: UV-Max, UV-Speed, NM-Speed (you can participate in as many categories as you want)
- send them to me via PM or e-mail before 6 Sep 23:59 MSK (that's 6 Sep 19:59 UTC). Please make sure I can identify who you are when sending by e-mail. :)

Please don't share your routes/demos before the contest is over... Don't ruin the fun for others. That is all!

Memfis said:
...three categories: UV-Max, Pacifist, NM-Speed (you can participate in as many categories as you want)

Heh, I tried them and all I can say is that I will watch any Pacifist or Nightmare demo...

Well, after some thought we decided to replace Pacifist with UV-Speed. Sorry for the confusion!

btw just got the first entry :)

The contest is over! Results:

UV-Max
1. Looper - 5:31
2. j4rio  - 6:53
3. vdgg   - 7:15
4. Archi  - 7:43
-. BeeWen - 9:19 (96% kills, 7 missed monsters)

UV-Speed
1. vdgg   - 2:29
(I attached all demos to this post.)

Congratulations to the winners Looper and vdgg ( vdgg was the only one in uv-speed though :\ ) and thanks to everyone for participating!

Note: the file dates of Archi's and Looper's demos are incorrect (because they didn't zip the files).

I gotta say that Looper's demo is quite impressive. :)

refuse_contest.zip

Thanks Memfis for this contest. I hope more people join next time, and possibly some kind of list of participating players in each category.
Map was cool because there were many different routes to choose from.

Edit: Whoops! Thanks Plut too :p

Heh, I'm actually kinda surprised I didn't end up as the last. I'm about as imaginative as a lodestone when it comes to routing from scratch.

Vorpal said:

b'oh, dunno how I missed this. *shakes fist at the gods*

Not enough hype. :>

• Many thanks to the organizers. I think the map selected was outstanding for a contest. No demos = you don't know if you're doing it right or wrong. All the UD weapons except BFG = the results should vary.
  • Number of participants - what a surprise! Where is Heretic, skepticist, SAV, dew, Donce, cannonball, Didier?
  • UV Max - I moderately tried, sticking to one route. I improved 7:40 to 7:15 and I said "stop". It was exhausting.
  • UV Speed - extremely fun. I expected the winner to have either 2:0x or something very, very low if my route is incorrect. I think yellow grab is impossible though, if Hitherto was the tester :-)
  • NM Speed - I secretly expected one demo - an automatic winner. But alas!

Congratulations to Looper.

I didn't have internet at the time this contest was put up. I did read about it and then simply forgot. I played the level today and really enjoyed it. Damn my poor memory skills.

Looper said:

and possible some kind of list of participating players in each category

Hmm, what do you mean by this? Like, when someone sends a demo, the organiser updates the first post with a list of players who sent something?

j4rio said:

Not enough hype. :>

I guess we could make a news submission next time. :)

vdgg said:

Where is Heretic, skepticist

AFAIK Heretic is very busy IRL so he can't spend much time on Doom. And skepticist just kinda lost interest in speedrunning and Doom in general...

Yes, something like that. Though sending demo just before deadline does not work.
I don't know if the contest was meant to be anonymous so that nobody knew who is attending but I think it attracts more people if you know how many players are going to participate.

vdgg said:

Where is Heretic, skepticist, SAV, dew, Donce, cannonball, Didier?

Ah, I was in a period of Doom-abstinence again and I just missed it.. great demos everyone.

Sorry to bump this, but I wouldn't do it without a reason :) One category didn't receive any demos, so I recorded a NM run, even if too late. Demo attached.

refun428.zip