Deus Ex: Human Revolution
Bioshock
Batman: Arkham City
Trine
Trine 2
Dirt trilogy
Grid
Mirror's Edge

All of these games are recent and all of them I enjoyed thoroughly. Then there's games like Singularity and Rage and Call of Duty (MP) which I wouldn't list as unmissable classics but I had/have fun with all the same.

Craigs said:

I'd personally find it a bit more enjoyable if there were more people I could trust. Seems like everyone I run in to just tries to stab me in the back the first chance they get.

You'll be hard pressed to find true friendlies, but once you find them, you KEEP them and start growing a reliable group. Metagame, add friends to steam. Everyone I play DayZ with I know only from DayZ, and in that game, I trust them more than I'd trust my real life or internet friends. Finding competent, skilled, and trustworthy people is hard but not impossible. I had the benefit of playing DayZ since the beginning, when it was a little less bloody and people were more prone to be nice guys to strangers. When it was very rare to have anyone running around in full kit and high powered sniper rifles. But don't lose hope; just today I gathered up five friendly strangers in Elektrovadosk, the bloodiest city in the game, and we went and fought bandits together for a few hours. It was glorious.

Shaikoten said:

Everyone I play DayZ with I know only from DayZ...

You should swap IRL contact details so you can all get together when the zombie apocalypse actually comes.

Also when is DayZ going stand-alone? It sounds great but I don't want to buy and support some rubbish modern wargame just to play it.

Super Jamie said:

You should swap IRL contact details so you can all get together when the zombie apocalypse actually comes.

Also when is DayZ going stand-alone? It sounds great but I don't want to buy and support some rubbish modern wargame just to play it.

They say it's coming in December, maybe. I wouldn't hold my breath for that, and it will be very much unfinished when it is released. One of my best DayZ comrades is actually a journalist for Eurogamer who has interviewed Rocket twice now, and the guy is... a little swamped with how open he is to speaking about the project, at the cost of development expedience.

You'd be supporting the same company if you bought the standalone anyways, Rocket was an employee for Bohemia Interactive before DayZ was even released, and the standalone will be published by them. That being said, I think "modern wargame" doesn't apply in the sense here that it would to your Battlefields or Call of Duties. Arma isn't a fun game as much as a hardcore military simulation engine. Actually the single player is honestly kind of trash to begin with, the game really shines when played with other people.

Actually, Bohemia has a very interesting development view precisely because Arma ISN'T a game, one that is counter-intuitive to pretty much most other studios out there. For one, before DayZ cheating wasn't ever a problem in Arma, because it was a simulator which assumed clients were trusted. You weren't out to "win" a game of Arma, you wanted to just simulate. To that end, it was encouraged for people to run scripted events clientside to aid in the experience. And that's where current DayZ "hackers" come in. They're just exploiting the rich scripting functionality of Arma to create "interesting" events. Some of these hacks even end up improving the game for a certain amount of the population, or at least providing hilarity.

In any case, what I'm saying is even if Arma 2 isn't your cup of tea, I still believe the developers are worth supporting because they're really great to their community and encourage openness and player driven contribution.

Hm, modern...

By modern, I assume post-200#?

Well,

TF2
Combat Arms
Max Payne 2 (Is it? I dunno)

Fuck, for 'modern', those are the only games I've played recently.

Well, if they count as modern, I've recently bought Alan Wake, Half Life 2, and Portal. Er, I dunno.

Everything made by valve makes the list automatically. Fallout: New Vegas is pretty damn awesome as well.

Seems quite a few people preordered torchlight 2. We should get a multiplayer group going. Add me on steam, same name here if you want.

Most of the games I've found interesting have been mentioned, but one I've barely gotten into but is pretty fun is super monday night combat. It's got a freemium model going with stuff that seems overpriced, but without getting anything I've had a lot of fun with it. It's a cross of dota and tf2.

The only problem I have with modern games is my laptop ... it's not really meant for gaming. I'd need a new computer to really get even the standard experience out of anything released less than 5 years ago.

ArmouredBlood said:

preordered torchlight 2

Speaking of which, since that preorder comes with free Torchlight 1 I've got an extra copy to give away. If someone here is so cheap that you just have to get TL 1 for free, drop me a PM with your Steam name. The first person will get it.

Just got into the smite beta and played a few games, it's fun although I got stuck at the lowest resolution and couldn't read anything on screen >.> If anyone wants an invite send me a message/have your email on your user page and comment.

I really like S.T.A.L.K.E.R. I finished the whole trilogy (oh, crappy clear sky crashes in ending...) on my PC. Still can't believe it's still alive after CoP. Also I like Quake 4, FEAR and Xenus 2 (this is actually last game I bought, my PC can't run newer games)
My PC can't handle most of modern games, so if I didn't mention skyrim or bf3, it doesn't mean I dislike them. I just can't play them LOL

ClumsyDoomer said:

My PC can't handle most of modern games, so if I didn't mention skyrim or bf3, it doesn't mean I dislike them. I just can't play them LOL

If your PC can play Clear Sky and CoP then it should be able to handle Skyrim :-/

Define modern

Bulletstorm
Skyrim
Left 4 Dead 2
Hard Reset
Fallout 3 & New Vegas
Rage
Unreal Tournament 3
Resistance 1,2 & 3
Army of Two 40th Day
Wolfenstein

Dark Souls

Demons Souls

Portal(2)

Journey

Deadspace (still playing through 2...doesn't seem as good as 1 so far)

Bioshock

Starhawk (3rd person shooter mixed with RTS-esqueness...MP)

Most of the modern games I've played lately, and liked, are indie games.

The Binding of Isaac
Torchlight (I have TL2 preordered)
Dungeons of Dredmor
Space Pirates and Zombies
Terraria
Recettear (a guilty pleasure)
Breath of Death VII/Cthulhu Saves the World

Aside from that, not many non-indie games. I own Starcraft 2 and Oblivion, but I haven't really played those much.

FEAR 1. I love this game and have played it a few times already. I only just started playing the second game in the series. FEAR 2 is fun, but I'm getting a lot of "I wish this thing was like in the first game).

Some of my favourite games include:

Oblivion and also Skyrim but to a lesser extent
Halo series with exception of Halo Wars
Dawn of War inc. soulstorm and dark crusade (not Dawn of War 2)
Mass Effect trilogy
Dark Souls - couldn't play Demon souls, no PS3

Those are just my favourites, there is a lot more that I have enjoyed including Rage but I'm not going to bore everyone by listing them all

chopkinsca said:

FEAR 1. I love this game and have played it a few times already. I only just started playing the second game in the series. FEAR 2 is fun, but I'm getting a lot of "I wish this thing was like in the first game).

You can avoid FEAR 3 (that's "F3AR"). It bears almost no resemblance to the first or second games.

DoomUK said:

If your PC can play Clear Sky and CoP then it should be able to handle Skyrim :-/

With Pentium 4, @ 2.88 ghz, geforce 8600 GT 256mb and 1 gb RAM? Well, 3 fps is unplayable, but I FINISHED clear sky and CoP (on lowest graphic settings) with 17-31 fps.
so, can my PC really run Skyrim? :p

3fps...reminds me of when I played Runescape. I tolerated that for about 8 months, but now..I cbf with it anymore..

Now that the NDA has been lifted I can add PlanetSide 2 to my list. Well, I like it for the most part anyway.

Over the last couple years, I've been buying a bunch of new games, and now that my computer is in full working order again (video card died on me), I've been playing a bunch of them. These are some of my favorites:

TF2 - Duh
Portal 1/2 - So fun that I've played through each one at least twice.
Europa Universalis III - Probably the best strategy game I've played, in terms of political and economic mechanics.
Crusader Kings 2 - Similar to EU3, but has more to do with dynasties and court intrigue than nation-building.
Tropico 4 - A bit like Sim City, but with all the politics of running a banana republic.
Saints Row the Third - Started playing this a couple days ago. It's like GTA taken up to 11...and it has SYL on the soundtrack!
Binding of Isaac - Awesome, twisted roguelike with Zelda-esque gameplay.
Mount & Blade: Warband - The best Medieval battle simulator ever created.
Skyrim - Holy shit, this game is gorgeous and possibly even more fun than Morrowind.

DoomUK said:

You can avoid FEAR 3 (that's "F3AR"). It bears almost no resemblance to the first or second games.

Fear 3 is actually pretty fun. Not a real FEAR game but still fun. Me and Huy co-oped it and had a pretty good time. They did some pretty neat stuff with it by doing shit like having Fettele play completely differently than Pointman and multiple endings based on which player got the highest score. Also from what I understand Flying Debris did some of the artwork which is always a plus

I played Borderlands a lot too (and still do, occasionally).
I liked both Wolfenstein and Singularity quite a lot (though Singularity is better in pretty much every aspect).
I enjoyed the first Witcher, and I also enjoy the second, albeit somewhat less.
I've played Rage and found it to be somewhat good.
I loved the first Crysis, and enjoyed the second one.
I've enjoyed playing Fallout 3 for a lot of time, after which I stopped playing it because it was too big of a time sink.Skyrim is another huge timesink I've enjoyed for a while.
League of Legends is also something I played a lot in the last months.
Another somewhat modern game I enjoyed was Fear 2, although I HATE the sequel.
The Assasins Creed series, albeit repetitive, provides some great action and exploration.
I've also played Metro2033 and liked it a bit, although it does get boring after a while.
Hard Reset is perhaps the most "oldschool" game that's been released in a while, and it's done a great job. The physics in that game were also beautiful to watch.
EDIT:Saints Row The Third is another game I REALLY enjoyed. It's like GTA4, now with 400% more AWESOME! Also, Volition,Inc doesn't make their games out of freaking realism!

However, my favourite modern game is BY FAR Deus Ex:Human Revolution. In fact, it's one of my favourite games of all time! I've even played the expansion, although it was much weaker than the game itself.

Well, these are a lot of games, which kind of proves the whole "modern games are all bad" issue is moot. The only things most modern games lost are secret paths, exploration and easter eggs, although there's still plenty of that in some games. I only wish there are some good releases in 2012. Up until now, there hasn't really been anything good that's been released.