Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Tristan

Modern Games that you do like?

I've played Little Fighter 2 for some years. It's a cross between fighting game and beat 'em up. Majority of community left after irreversible database crash of official forums and around 2 years of posts somehow poofed.

I find that as gaming goes on, games are getting shallower; I mean, the options between the Elder Scrolls starting at Daggerfall - let alone the story modes - have usually been less than more.

Call of Duty is also setting a poor example, especially where multiplayer is concerned; while it started with a good model, it requires very little skill and strategy to play versus many other tactical shooters such as Rainbow Six, Far Cry 2 and even Halo.

It also sets a very poor example for single-player design.

I'm also less than impressed with Gears of War.

One of the things that has really pissed me off with modern games design is flash over substance; it's like we're back to the dawn of 3D again when gameplay took a back-seat. But now, it's not to visuals so much as cutscenes and an emphasis on design that "tells a story". I rather liked being given the background and then the right to go willy-nilly and fuck everything up, but that's just me. Ironically, I hate every GTA game except for Vice City and 4.

And Bioshock was a slap to the face for everyone who played System Shock 1 and expected a similar experience. Spiritual successor my ass.

Anyway, there are modern games that I do like; Borderlands, Far Cry 2, and I still love the Dynasty Warriors games, although things went sideways for awhile there with 6. I guess they'd be more of a throwback, though.

I also like Duke Nukem Forever, despite the fact that it couldn't decide which era it belonged in.

I also like Halo Reach and ODST; not so much Halo 3.

And I love Mercenaries and Just Cause 2.

I also really like Syndicate's multiplayer, although now I'm really feeling the drag of only having nine co-op missions.

So, while not all modern games suck, there are some design elements that REALLY need to go. These have already been touched on in this discussion, but I think one that has been omitted is the continual limitations imposed in sequels. I really noticed this in the Elder Scrolls and Halo games, but it's not just them. It's even the Grand Theft Auto games.

Part of this is to sell expansions, which, frankly, is utter bullshit. 10 years ago, you got a complete game. Now, you have to question the integrity of the developer because of EA, Ubisoft and now Capcom. I think the last great "complete" game that still had an assload of expansions was Borderlands.

I suppose Skyrim from a critical standpoint, but it had a nerfed main questline because Bethesda doesn't give a shit anymore, so it's no longer a great series, IMO. The game also really is monotonous as fuck, and in the face of a game like Borderlands, which is a first-person version of Diablo with guns, that's saying a lot.

Anyway, Borderlands set a great example - you have a nice meaty main game with some decent - often amusing - distractions with plenty of options, and then you have the expansions. While it ended on a cliffhanger, I actually thought that was a joke. And while the expansions did tie up some loose ends, the game didn't end in a manner that gave you the impression that these were significant.

And Borderlands 2 doesn't look to be a jocked-up RPG like Mass Effect 2 was; instead, it clearly gives you more options and freedom than less. I actually heard that the last test run-through was clocked at almost 60 hours.

I personally felt that Mass Effect 2 was a terrible sequel that was too focused on forcing you down a narrow path so that you could be sold expansions later on to make that path wider. Which is why I haven't been bothered to buy Mass Effect 3.

When it becomes all about business (mainly due to sequelitis), the heart's not in it and we suffer for it.

So, I think the problem isn't just limited to design; it's also the business. The publishers are leaving a bad taste in our mouths, too.

You're comment on CODs lack of skill

Some may respond by saying about some levels on Veteran difficulty (inb4).
However, veteran is cod's equivalent to UV, and I remember one of the Rio levels in MW2 being very hard. if that was in doom, it would be classified as a slaughtermap.

I honestly do believe it's only the storyline and graphics that appeal to me with those.

EDIT: Black Ops II? WHY!?! They didn't need Black Ops 1!

I don't know about anyone else, but I personally didn't consider Doom to be a "modern" title back in '97, so it's a bit weird that so many games mentioned in this thread about modern games are actually four or five years old (and there's even a mention of the seven year old Half-life 2).

With that being said, I'll limit my picks to the last two years: Amnesia (released two years ago this Saturday ;)), Fallout: New Vegas, Dead Space 2, The Witcher 2, Uncharted 3, LA Noire, Elder Scrolls: Skyrim, Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning, the PC version of Alan Wake, and The Walking Dead.

No, it's because a lot of people here are stuck in the past, and compared to Doom even games for early 2000 are modern.

NiGHTMARE said:

I don't know about anyone else, but I personally didn't consider Doom to be a "modern" title back in '97, so it's a bit weird that so many games mentioned in this thread about modern games are actually four or five years old (and there's even a mention of the seven year old Half-life 2).

Half-Life 2, maybe it is 7 years old, but you wouldn't call it a classic (or would you? i wouldn't myself but its for you to decide), I don't even regard Doom 3 as a classic, and I'm still slightly split on RtCW (I HAVE SO GOTTA PLAY THAT ON BRING 'EM ON!)

I'm fairly picky with games, growing up with doom and duke etc...

but I like

Left 4 Dead , I put a ton of hours into this game, it was my favorite game since DOOM honestly. Too bad valve stopped supporting it, it's pretty dead now. Left 4 Dead 2 was a pile of garbage...

Payday: The Heist , awesome co-op, and isn't any COD type game.

Killing Floor , I love to kill me some zeds, and no crosshair! :D

Minecraft , just plain fun... but getting less fun with all the nerfing lately...

Portal 1/2 , Cave Johnson and GLaDOS rule.

Half Life series, I played them all many times now, enjoy them very much.

The games industry has been developing on very predictable commercially orientated lines for years now. The technology is improving but game designs simply recycle the same themes, concepts, and methodologies again and again.

Few games stand out today - games like minecraft are a rarity in today's market.

Doom Juan said:

The games industry has been developing on very predictable commercially orientated lines for years now. The technology is improving but game designs simply recycle the same themes, concepts, and methodologies again and again.

Few games stand out today - games like minecraft are a rarity in today's market.

Proportionately speaking, yes, they are a rarity like they always were. But I think due to volume there are probably more new, fresh designs out there now than there have been in any other time.

Doom Juan said:

I would say it's better now than it was in the mid-to-late 90's. Half the games release during that time were clones of either Doom or Command & Conquer.

If you look beyond the mainstream titles to the indie and freeware releases (especially the more obscure games), there's a tonne of innovation going on.

Doom Juan said:

The games industry has been developing on very predictable commercially orientated lines for years now.

That's what any industry has been doing since the beginning of time. An industry's primary goal is to create profit, and it'll try to do that in the safest ways possible. For the most part it's always been the outliers' job to do "other things" for reason or an other, either to fill niches or because it's been their only chance for making a breakthrough.

Doom Juan said:

The games industry has been developing on very predictable commercially orientated lines for years now.

Industries make money? Shocking.

JaGeX, the makers of Runescape..

what a bunch of assholes. no politer way of putting that. Used to think RS was awesome, and it was, then the big boss left...
Seriously, you should check out the RS Forums, particularly on a feature called 'Squeal of Fortune.' A decision by Jagex was opposed by over 10,000 players, including myself, and they ignored everyone. Cash-cowing dickheads.

adding Advance Wars to this. Graphics may be cartoony, but their latest installment (Days of Ruin) bring a dystopian setting and dark gameplay. You'll need prime strategy, and I like this over RTS

BloodyAcid said:

adding Advance Wars to this. Graphics may be cartoony, but their latest installment (Days of Ruin) bring a dystopian setting and dark gameplay. You'll need prime strategy, and I like this over RTS

Never really cared about the art style as long as they weren't too dull or inconsistant.

The real problem was how fugged advance wars: dual strike was with the titular aspect of gameplay and OP commanding officers.

Hatchi's cheap units and super power of being able to use cities under your control as factories + pretty much any partner going after in the DS or olaf + drake's switcharoo to leave the enemies out of fuel = rape.

I skipped over DS and went straight to DoR. Gameplay was much better than its predecessor

DoomUK said:

You can avoid FEAR 3 (that's "F3AR"). It bears almost no resemblance to the first or second games.

F3AR might not have the atmopshere as the first one but it will give you a diffrent FPS experience that's not falling behind it's predecessors. espcially co-op play.

Just finished playing Spec Ops: The Line. This is one of those games that everyone should play. The gameplay is average and it's pretty short, but the story, atmosphere and characters are brilliant.

Play it.

Cant say enough how i like the SWAT series. Never thought that "less than lethal" FPS gameplay can be so fun. Very recommendin'. There are two games developed by two different companies, but both of high quality. SWAT 4 has awesome levels, i especially like how they use small props to create mood or to scare/distract. SWAT 3 is a more like a urban counter-terrorist unit simulator, the next game has a taser, pepper spray and a pepper gas paintball gun, it feels like a proper police SWAT team simulator. So fun to taze suspects.

Also liked Knights of the Chalice, it's a party RPG with top down Ultima 6 or 7 gfx. Mount & Blade was pretty cool, especially with mods. Vampire The Masquerade: Bloodlines is my favorite RPG, it's a Source engine game from 2004. Tried Legend of Grimrock, but dungeons are too sterile, RPG system is bland, it was a disappointment. Also finished Europa Universalis III: Divine Wind and Victoria 2: A House Divided couple of times. Duke Nukem Whatever was a disaster.

The one thing that kills a game for me is a health regen. Instant "no buy, no torrent". Still can't forgive id for Wolfenstein 2009.

There are plenty of modern games that I like such as Wii Fit Plus, The Sims 3, Duke Nukem Forever, Simcity Societies, some Xbox 360 games and there are plenty of other modern games that I like. Ven though modern games are good they will never top classic games such as Doom, Wolfenstein 3D and other old games that were great.

Harmata said:

The one thing that kills a game for me is a health regen. Instant "no buy, no torrent". Still can't forgive id for Wolfenstein 2009.

I'd still recommend getting Wolfenstein. Sure, the health regen can be fairly annoying, but it's a nice game, it has some cool guns and it plays pretty well. I definitely enjoyed it a lot!
If you want something similar to Wolfenstein 2009 but without the health regen, you can always try Singularity. It was made by Raven Software in 2010, and it plays fairly similar to Wolfenstein, only it's better . They both have a device that can bend time, mad techy weapons, monsters and soldiers. I HIGHLY recommend picking it up if you haven't already. It plays pretty old-schoolish, but with some added quirks.

Also, talking about piracy or warez on Doomworld is STRICTLY forbidden! Please try to keep that in mind.

Just got Demon's Souls and i might end up liking this even more than Dark Souls...as long as the server/s stay up.
It seems more difficult, because even though I have put hundreds of hours into Dark Souls, building optimal characters, speedrunning them through the game, and PVP'ing, I am still getting my ass handed to me regularly.
Good times.

I'd still recommend getting Wolfenstein.

Hahaha, i started hatin' health regen exactly because of that game, AFTER half of it. Thanks for the Singularity recommendation tho, I'll definitely check it out.

Harmata said:

Hahaha, i started hatin' health regen exactly because of that game, AFTER half of it. Thanks for the Singularity recommendation tho, I'll definitely check it out.

Glad I could help. Another oldschool game is Hard Reset. It provides a very good experience with lots of secrets, fun weapons and good encounters, but it's a bit short. Quality is top-notch though.
EDIT:Apparently it has a free DLC as well. I need to grab it right away!

Oh, i wanted to get Hard Reset ever since it was released, don't even know how i didn't manage to do it to these days. Can also recommend alpha demo of Retro Blazer, at least first playthrough will be packed with action. Then novelty may wear off, tho: retroblazer.com