Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Worst

ZDaemon 1.09 Released

After over a year since the first public beta release, ZDaemon 1.09 has finally been officially released. The popular online multiplayer Doom port features many netcode improvements, as well as a massive number of bug fixes, features, and enhancements. Some of the changes include:

• Improved client prediction and networking code with less bandwidth consumption, providing a much smoother experience even with high latency.
  • A wide array of new demo features including: a flexible new demo format; new playback controls such as pause, rewind, and fast forward; and a free-roaming camera mode during playback.
  • A new "Picture-In-Picture" view when spectating duels.
  • Built-in voice chat, allowing players to communicate more easily.
  • Enhanced display options, new fonts, and a customizable scoreboard.
  • Support for up to 50 players on a single server.
  • New Double Domination, King of the Hill, and Instagib game modes.
  • Complete Heretic support.
  • Greatly improved support for ACS, including libraries and LOADACS.
  • Many other editing features, such as non-restricted polyobjects, portals, and the new PATCHINF lump, which allows patching pre-existing maps.
  • New DMFlags for increased fidelity to vanilla Doom behavior.
For an extensive list of changes since 1.08, see the changelog. To download, visit the official website.

I hope this will let me play on all those servers which told me my version was outdated, despite downloading the latest from that same link.

Tormentor667 said:

The new demo options are awesome, this should be ported to other sourceports as well :) Brilliant!

Odamex and Skulltag/Zandronum have had this feature for quite some time now. Odamex for the past 2 releases, ST/Zandronum for..... probably longer.

HumanBones said:

Odamex and Skulltag/Zandronum have had this feature for quite some time now. Odamex for the past 2 releases, ST/Zandronum for..... probably longer.

depends on which feature you mean. skip forward is a standard feature, but zdaemon lets you set your own skip value and skip backwards the same way is a wholly different matter!

also .zdd is compressed by default, this is so basic and logical, yet the competition will have to catch up. also demo header is a good idea for maintaining demo libraries. oda has yet to work in the free floating spectator as well.

Just because yourselves are sniping about it;

Doomsday has had a custom demo format that has most of those features (i.e the free roaming camera during playback) for at least a decade; only missing fast forward and rewind.

Unfortunetly, Dday's demo features have yet to be restored following the rewrite (i.e since 1.8.6).

That said, there are some impressive looking features in this new release of ZDaemon.

Congratulations on the new ZDaemon release.

I've got to admit, the multi-renderer support for picture-in-picture and new fonts is really nifty. Not to mention that whatever bug was plaguing 1.08 and causing it to simply refuse to run on my machine was fixed in 1.09. Nice work.

Very good release. An insane amount of features have been added in total. The best online Doom experience at the present time.

HumanBones said:

Just for the record here is the timeline:

ZDaemon 1.09b21 public release (2011-07-16):

Enabled the use of "DVD-like" playback controls while watching demos.

Odamex 0.6.0 was released on May 12th, 2012:

When playing back a demo using the netplay command, players can fast forward, rewind, and pause using the arrow keys and space bar.

Zandronum 1.0-alpha-120715 (07-15-2012):

Added CCMD demo_skiptics that allows you to skip a specified amount of tics.

Zandronum only supports forward skipping.

Is there an option to turn off the feature where I feel Raider's hot breath on the back of my neck?

Nah, demos are a critical part of the competitive scene. IDL has a demo archive going back years at http://www.intldoomleague.org/season/demos.

Oh I should say that while they seem like regular Doom-ish demos, they really aren't. Netdemos use entirely different formats, even from each other, so it's not like you can play a ZDaemon demo in PrBoom or Skulltag.

Ladna said:

Is there an option to turn off the feature where I feel Raider's hot breath on the back of my neck?

Is there an option to turn off the butthurt? ;)
Seriously, you should be very familiar with that option since you have been using it for years yourself. It is called master_advertise.
I hope you are not asking because a reversal of change is imminent. That would be rather amusing.

OK I will look into this "master_advertise" option. Will people still be able to see my server in their launchers, or will I have to setup a whole goddamn separate community just to get some games?

I have another question. Since playing ZDaemon 1.09, I've started to feel an irresistible urge to register a new Doomworld account just to subtly shit-talk other ports and talk up my own, is there an option to turn that feature off? I don't want to make a huge ass out of myself.

Finally, does "butthurt" always follow "Raider's Hot Breath", or is that just a coincidence?

http://i.imgur.com/2WZqQ.png

http://i.imgur.com/JvTrF.png

It doesn't seem like that long ago.

ZDaemon 1.09b21 public release (2011-07-16):

Enabled the use of "DVD-like" playback controls while watching demos.

Not really sure why there is so much splitting of hairs about who had what port had this obviously-desirable feature first, but while we're listing caveats, ZDaemon 1.09 could not actually record demos itself, merely play back 1.08 demos.

mandax said:

I hope you are not asking because a reversal of change is imminent. That would be rather amusing.

Odamex would not have existed if those policies had not have been in place.

The simple fact is that many of the past successes of the ZDaemon community is due in large part because of the hard work of advocates who were a part of the community long before many of their current advocates even knew what online doom was. Some of them are still around, but a good number of them either moved on or were chased out by a progression of policies that they had no say in and were totally out of their control.

You're where the players are. That's completely understandable...a choice that some of us don't have, but for those that still do I have no problem with it. But forgive me if I roll my eyes at your sneering at people who merely want an alternative to ZDaemon, but without a Kilgore. After all, I think both communities want similar things out of a port. We're quite literally on the same "side". What pleasure do you get out of taking potshots at us?

Ladna said:

I have another question. Since playing ZDaemon 1.09, I've started to feel an irresistible urge to register a new Doomworld account just to subtly,...

Doomworld is one of the few, perhaps largest, 'neutral' Doom forum; i.e a forum not affiliated with any particular port etc etc, where people of all ports come.

It stands to reason therefore, that if your going to find people comparing ports anywhere in the Doom community, it would be here.

Ladna said:

OK I will look into this "master_advertise" option. Will people still be able to see my server in their launchers, or will I have to setup a whole goddamn separate community just to get some games?

[...]

Finally, does "butthurt" always follow "Raider's Hot Breath", or is that just a coincidence?

WHAT ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT?... What is "master_advertise"? What is "Raider's Hot Breath"?... Are there ads while playing?...

It's all about drama.

Well, I guess master_advertise is a real thing. The rest is just "ZDaemon admins are a bunch of control-freak fascists" vs. "you only say that because they've banned you (and a bunch of other people)".

Well, if all you do is play Doom without hacks and try to behave (avoid sabotaging your teammates), I don't see what bad should happen to you, right?

[nitpick]
Wasn't there something about Doom being GPL and, IIRC, even the older licence telling you to release the source?
If we always pick on *that other port* about it we can't leave out ZDaemon. ;)
[/nitpick]

Nice release, tough. :)

Bastet Furry said:

[nitpick]
Wasn't there something about Doom being GPL and, IIRC, even the older licence telling you to release the source?
If we always pick on *that other port* about it we can't leave out ZDaemon. ;)
[/nitpick]

Nice release, tough. :)

The old license over the overall codebase was invalid, as the supposedly-GPL bits of Nightfang's (and other contributors) code were paired with ZDoom 1.23's BUILD stuff.

That doesn't make any of their GPL bits less GPL. However, supposedly the development team either got permission from the old contributors to close the source or they rewrote the code.

I, like many, have been waiting for this for many years. What an absolute epic. Here's to the glorious new demo format; the silky-smooth netcode; and many years to come of awesome leagues, tourneys, sessions, special events, and only god knows what else. Time to bring back some UK servers methinks...

Congrats to the ZD dev team and many thanks to all admins past and present who've helped the port get to where it's at. Here's to the future.

Downloadpage of zdaemon.org said:

1.09 Linux (2.6 kernel) Server
[...]
IMPORTANT: to run the Linux server on a 64-bit Linux distribution, the 32-bit compatibility libraries (e.g. gcc-multilib) need to be present. The kernel must also be built with IA32_EMULATION enabled.

My computer said:

bastetfurry@katzenrechner:~$ uname -a
Linux katzenrechner 3.2.0-29-generic #46-Ubuntu SMP Fri Jul 27 17:03:23 UTC 2012 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

My server said:

*censored*@*censored*:~# uname -a
Linux *censored*.*censored*.de 2.6.32-41-server #94-Ubuntu SMP Fri Jul 6 18:15:07 UTC 2012 x86_64 GNU/Linux

And _thats_ the reason why i would want a source release.
Installing 32 bit libs on a 64 bit server is bullshit^10 and everyone who does that should not own a damn server. Its a crutch and possibly even a security risk.
As is just supporting 2.6 kernel, even if my server could provide that.

Bastet Furry said:

And _thats_ the reason why i would want a source release.
Installing 32 bit libs on a 64 bit server is bullshit^10 and everyone who does that should not own a damn server. Its a crutch and possibly even a security risk.

And you hope that you get it to work properly as a 64-bit binary?

Bastet Furry said:

FreeBSD includes the 32 bit compat libs in their 64 bit release base installations. I guess they are not very good with servers and security then ;) Do you have any articles, papers or bug reports that deal with 32 bit compat lib security risks explicitly? All i can find are bugs in glibc that are either present in both 32 and 64 versions or 64 bit only. Neither could i find warnings to not install the 32bit compat libs for security or performance reasons.
Also keep in mind that Doom does not use 64 bit datatypes so you wouldnt even gain any additional performance from a 64 bit build.

Bastet Furry said:

It does not mean only for 2.6 servers, but 2.6 and up. Sorry about the confusion. The download page has been updated to reflect that. Check this! It shows a 3.2 kernel system running the 2.6 server binary just fine.

tempun said:

And you hope that you get it to work properly as a 64-bit binary?

I can compile zDoom on this machine, so why not zDaemon?

phenex2 said:

FreeBSD includes the 32 bit compat libs in their 64 bit release base installations. I guess they are not very good with servers and security then ;) [...]

Linux != BSD ;)
Anyway, its just what i learned from other admins with year-long experience, you don't place 32bit on a 64bit server as it can cause trouble.
I guess if i want to run zDaemon on my server i'll open it in a VM just to ease my mind.

phenex2 said:

It does not mean only for 2.6 servers, but 2.6 and up. Sorry about the confusion. [...]

Ah, ok. Tought you use some stuff that only, for whatever reason, works with 2.6 as you explicitely give out a 2.4 binary.

There's nothing about running 32-bit binaries that inheritly presents a security risk. However, if the 32-bit libraries/environment are not managed by a neat automatic package manager, it is well possible to not keep up on the latest security patches. The exact same issue happens with 64-bit distros anyway if you don't keep up to date on them.

If you really must, stick 32-bit ubuntu in a chroot and you'll be fine as long as you check on package updates every so often. (Even better, use OS virtualization like openvz or vserver.)

Bastet Furry said:

I can compile zDoom on this machine, so why not zDaemon?

Doomsday 64-bit builds were broken. So why not?

tempun said:

Doomsday 64-bit builds were broken. So why not?

Were being the operative word. We've been putting out working 64-bit builds of Doomsday for Mac OS and Ubuntu for quite a while now.