Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
RederickDeathwill

Gallery of Suicide (UPDATED)

I'm developing a WAD called Gallery of Suicide, inspired in the album of the same name by the Death Metal band Cannibal Corpse. I'll compose a proper soundtrack for it as usual.

Screenshot:

DOWNLOAD LINK:

http://www.mediafire.com/?b13dugkn9s3dq2g

OBS: Play it with ZDOOM (Jump needed).

What do you think about it? A good or a terrible idea? :).

EDIT:

Taking in consideration the Review made by BloodyAcid, I've made several changes in the Design and Gameplay of my map. I hope you enjoy it, and that I've made some progress with it. I've also created a new Skybox, in order to create a proper atmosphere (Together with my music).

Level List:

I. Gallery of Suicide (Map and Soundtrack by Tellerstein).
II. Chambers of Blood
III. Sentenced to Burn
IV. From Skin to Liquid
V. Land of the Severed Meatus (Obsidian)

Obsidian said:

I dig. =D If you're looking for map names in a similar vein, I can help.

Well, considering the album's tracklist:

1. I Will Kill You
2. Disposal of the Body
3. Sentenced to Burn
4. Blood Drenched Execution
5. Gallery of Suicide
6. Dismembered and Molested
7. From Skin to Liquid
8. Unite the Dead
9. Stabbed in the Throat
10. Chambers of Blood
11. Headless
12. Every Bone Broken
13. Centuries of Torment
14. Crushing the Despised

I would say that I can make a 4 level WAD with the following names:

I. Gallery of Suicide
II. Chambers of Blood
III. Sentenced to Burn
IV. From Skin to Liquid (Mixing textures of Flesh and Blood).

If someone want to help, I'll accept :). A 14-level WAD wouldn't be that bad.

Very nice. Try some of the song titles from Cattle Decapitation if you're looking for others. I've got a map of my own in mind called Land of the Severed Meatus, which I stole off Cattle D. :-)

EDIT: Now that I think of it, I don't suppose I could use that map idea here? It'd fit in very nicely.

That would give us a five-level WAD. Would you like to create one of the other ones? I'll try to finish Gallery of Suicide soon, so that you can have a Base.

I imagine "Sentenced to Burn" to be a chalenging map due to lava floors that cause damage. With a lot of barrels with those flames, and playing wisely with IMPs and Mancubuses.

Chambers of Blood would be similar to Gallery of Suicide (With Blood, obviously).

Yep, I can make some other ones. :-) I'm thinking of a Downtown-Hell hybrid for my one, and I might take some inspiration from the actual song as well. Incidentally, are you mapping in vanilla?

Obsidian said:

Incidentally, are you mapping in vanilla?

No, I'm mapping with Doom Builder :). I'll try to make a very good map, I've obtained a lot of experience digging in here and making other ones. But it'll have normal features (Switches, rising floors, random traps, etc). Nevertheless, I'll try to use them wisely.

tellerstein said:

No, I'm mapping with Doom Builder :). I'll try to make a very good map, I've obtained a lot of experience digging in here and making other ones. But it'll have normal features (Switches, rising floors, random traps, etc). Nevertheless, I'll try to use them wisely.

I didn't mean that. X-D Are you mapping in regular Doom 2 format or are you using something else?

Obsidian said:

I didn't mean that. X-D Are you mapping in regular Doom 2 format or are you using something else?

Sorry :). Regular Doom2 format. I'm dealing only with "regular doom2 format" so far, so, I'm not used with the existing differences yet.

Cool idea, i'll not seen a kind of wad like this from a long time...

Second shot is cool...

If you want help on mapping i can help (actually from this album i know only i will kill you...)

If you set up your project proposal nicely I'd do a map or two for this but I need to see a good plan laid out first and I'm sure most other mappers would like to as well. I don't think you would have trouble getting a few mappers for a small community project if you do this.

Love the style shown in the pictures. I'm expecting lots of gore, pools of viscera, and pits of zombies. "I Will Kill You" would be a gorgeous name for a level.

I've finished the first map "Gallery of Suicide". I hope it's going to fit your tastes. It's available for download up there. Obviously, I haven't used any Cannibal Corpse song; I've composed my own for this WAD. If you like the map, we can continue with the WAD :).

It's not a terrible map, but it leaves much room for improvement. I feel like it's a novice map, and that you're still learning the ropes. Here are some things I noticed that you could possibly change. It's up to you.

Gameplay:
-The green slime where the imps at the beginning are didn't make much sense to me. There's blood literally everywhere that doesn't deal damage, yet this small stream of green gunk hacks off 20% off your health. If you wanted to distinguish it, to me it felt counter-intuitive.
-Some of the secrets are blatantly obvious, and are thus, not secrets. For example, your "secret" berserk is revealed, at the beginning by a giant switch.
-Inescapable pits are a big no-no for many people in this community, especially when you put items like health bonuses in there. (Talking about big chaingunner/shotty pit. "Hmph'd" every wall but to no avail)
-Lots of ammo and health, which makes it not much of a challenge.

Design:
-Many rooms were bland with no detail at all.
-The themes were sort of wild, throwing you from blood and gore to a random dark green rock tunnel
-Alot of random round platforms that (to me) look obtrusive if anything
-There are ALOT of blood pits, which begs me to ask: why exactly is there SLIME?

This time I didn't used intentionally inescapable pits (I've did that before). I use Zdoom, I've forgot to say that... (It's possible to jump on that chaingunner part).

I don't think that the other secrets are that obvious (Just the first one, that is really stupid, but it's not a secret, I've put it there without reason).

I'm playing other WADs to improve my skills as a mapper, I'm still a novice yet. But I'll take a look in these details before creating another one (And I'll leave it more difficult).

Thank you very much for your help!

EDIT:

I'll improve this map before beginning the next one. I'll post the new version here as soon as I finish it.

Zdoom then? It'd be a better idea to use the Doom in Hexen format option, you can do more with it. :-) If you need some pointers, look up ChubzDoomer and JaundiceJean on Youtube.

Hmm, I didn't know that jumping was enabled intentionally. I guess that changes some things.

BloodyAcid said:

Hmm, I didn't know that jumping was enabled intentionally. I guess that changes some things.

I'm improving a lot the design and the map in general. Thinking better on the gameplay and making it more difficult. Soon I'll post here an Update. Thanks again for your tips! (I'm taking care of that toxic pool, for example).

I'm having a bit of trouble working on Land of the Severed Meatus ATM, but I have started a new map called Crush the Despised. You can guess what it'll have in it. ;-D

Obsidian said:

I'm having a bit of trouble working on Land of the Severed Meatus ATM, but I have started a new map called Crush the Despised. You can guess what it'll have in it. ;-D

Very good! :) I want to play it! Tell me what you think about my Gallery later.

tellerstein said:

Very good! :) I want to play it! Tell me what you think about my Gallery later.

I had a quick look at it. The music is brilliant. =D I'll let you decide the music for my one when I submit it. I have to admit that the texturing is rather plain though. Try some variety and complimentary textures: the more textures you can use, the better. It's also something to note that quite a lot of Doom players don't use jumping(me included) due to it not being an original intended Doom function. I did enjoy the gameplay though: there's something to be said about a good old-fashioned slaughterfest. If you're looking for inspiration in that vein then I recommend taking a look at this:

http://www.doomworld.com/vb/wads-mods/46002-sunder-updated-with-new-maps-huzzah/

Thank you very much for your comment! I'm glad you've liked my music for this map. I'll follow your tips about texturing and I'll take a look in this WAD (And I'll help you with the soundtrack for your WAD). I'll make a new update, then :). This WAD will be good in the end. As soon as I finish it, I'll start a new map for it (I would like to create another than Chambers of Blood.. I've dealt with a lot of Blood in Gallery already hahaha).

EDIT: And thanks for this additional tip (Jump = Unpleasant). I'll remove this necessity within this WAD, and I'll take this in consideration in the other ones.

Played your map and it's a nice map, overall...

I really the baroque creepy song you composed and level is done fine, but the rooms are really under detailed (but the curved linedefs are not that bad....) add more stuff and detail (like at the bloodfalls, add some kind of tunnel...)

Mmmm i think to do something based upon "I Will Kill You", take a look at the (pretty damn disturbing) lyrics on a Youtube video of that song, also watched the album folder and, yup, i think to something like Doomguy escaping from a demonic prison and reach the freedom killing the more monster possible or something similar...

walter confalonieri said:

Played your map and it's a nice map, overall...

I really the baroque creepy song you composed and level is done fine, but the rooms are really under detailed (but the curved linedefs are not that bad....) add more stuff and detail (like at the bloodfalls, add some kind of tunnel...)

Mmmm i think to do something based upon "I Will Kill You", take a look at the (pretty damn disturbing) lyrics on a Youtube video of that song, also watched the album folder and, yup, i think to something like Doomguy escaping from a demonic prison and reach the freedom killing the more monster possible or something similar...

It's a very good idea! All lyrics from Cannibal Corpse are disturbing. It would be very good if you do that :). I think we'll have a nice final product to upload to /idgames afterall. And thanks for the comment! I'm making some additional changes to my Gallery.

I just played Gallery of Suicide and I thought it was a pretty good map. Some of the designs were pretty crooked, but I liked how you made the map. The challenges were cool too and I found 2 out of 5 secrets in the map. The music was cool and I think you did a good job making it. The boss battle room is a bit too tough because it can use more medikits rather than stimpacks. The room can also use more ammo because some players might find it as too little ammo. Overall it was a cool map and I think you did a fine job making it.

Good looking map. I tried it with Zdoom, but when I try it with Skulltag it just goes to the doom 2 menu and the first map appears. I like skulltag more and I really hate to play all maps trough doom builder. Any idea?