Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Doom Juan

Doom Juan's ZDoom editing questions

Doom Juan said:

Can they be used in a similar manner as the Build Engine, as in the ability to stick sprite images on walls?

I'll assume you mean in ZDoom? Yes.

See this, this and this for documentation.

Thanks!

Seems I have to make a PK3, but SLADE seems to only be able to make zip files... will DB1 recognize a zip file?

PK3's are just renamed Zip files and I don't think you need one to use decals, which is just as well since DB1 doesn't recognize them.

GreyGhost said:

PK3's are just renamed Zip files and I don't think you need one to use decals, which is just as well since DB1 doesn't recognize them.

It says here on the article:

Creating a Decal

The decal graphics are to be placed in the "Graphics" namespace. This is outside of markers in a WAD, and within the /graphics/ subdirectory in a PK3.

I assumed I'd need to make a Pk3 file?

There isn't a namespace set aside for in wads for graphics, so "outside of markers in a WAD" means decals aren't placed between the sprite (S_START/S_END), patch (P_START/P_END) or flat (F_START/F_END) markers.

Gez said:

Are you seriously going to make a three-billion-sector map? :p

No :P

I'm going to make a Castle :)

I want to learn about hubs today, help me out :)

Well, there's nothing really complicated. It's mostly a question of using MAPINFO.

In the map definitions, set them all up in the same cluster. In the cluster definition, place the "hub" keyword.

If you have several different entrances for the levels, depending on from which level they come, you will have to use the "pos" argument of Teleport_NewMap or Exit_Normal, and make it correspond to the first argument of the associated player starts.

If you have Hexen, MAP02 is a good example. Otherwise, you will find hubs in, for example, this mod or that one.

Doom Juan said:

I want to learn about hubs today, help me out :)

Here is a tutorial on how to construct a hub. You can read up on the basics of hubs in the ZDooM wiki.

I can't think of any "small hub level example" off the top of my head, but here are examples of large hubs:

Assault on Tei Tenga: 6-map hub, which is probably the first released hub for DooM
The Hell Factory Hub One: 4-map hub
Temple of the Ancients: 5-map hub
The Darkest Hour: 7-map hub
Dawn: A Prelude: 5-map hub
Eternal DooM IV: 3-map hub within a 7-map wad
Paranoid: 7-map hub
The Phobos Directive: 9-map hub

So long as your config files support that feature, you can use DB1. There are updated configs for GzDoom, Skulltag and Vavoom which support 3D floors but I haven't seen one for ZDoom, might add that to my to-do list.

Half the threads on on the page right now are from you man, why don't you just make a general question thread and update that when you need help? A lot of the answers your looking for can be easily found by searching.

GreyGhost said:

So long as your config files support that feature, you can use DB1. There are updated configs for GzDoom, Skulltag and Vavoom which support 3D floors but I haven't seen one for ZDoom, might add that to my to-do list.

Config support files? Is there a link where I can find some for DB1?

EDIT: Scrap this, I've figured it out...

Hear ye, I'm a DB2 convert now - you can even see your slopes in 3D mode!

Just in case you decide to dabble with DB1 again - the Vavoom config files are available from their Downloads page, I can't find download links for the others so I've made my own - GZDoom, Skulltag.

The GZDoom and Skulltag zips can be unpacked straight into your Doom Builder folder, for Vavoom you only need the contents from the zip's "dbuilder" folder.

GreyGhost said:

Just in case you decide to dabble with DB1 again - the Vavoom config files are available from their Downloads page, I can't find download links for the others so I've made my own - GZDoom, Skulltag.

The GZDoom and Skulltag zips can be unpacked straight into your Doom Builder folder, for Vavoom you only need the contents from the zip's "dbuilder" folder.

That's useful to have - can I see my slopes/3D floors in DB1 with the Vavoom config files?

Also, regarding this on the wiki:

Sloped 3D floors are not available in the software renderer.

Does that mean I can't see them in 3D mode while editing, or are they jsut a no-go area alltogether?

Doom Juan said:

Sloped 3D floors are not available in the software renderer.

Does that mean I can't see them in 3D mode while editing, or are they jsut a no-go area alltogether?

No-go altogether. If you want to create sloped 3D floors, you'll need a source port such as GZDooM. [Incidentally, GZDooM does not support translucent sloped 3D floors, just in case you begin to wonder about that.]

ReX said:

No-go altogether. If you want to create sloped 3D floors, you'll need a source port such as GZDooM. [Incidentally, GZDooM does not support translucent sloped 3D floors, just in case you begin to wonder about that.]

How popular is Gzdoom? Do a lot of people have a copy?

If I want to edit Gzdoom with DB2, do I need to download anything additional? Or do I just make standard maps with Doom in Hexen format and load them in Gzdoom?

Doombuilder2 does not come with a configuration file for GZDoom. Never has.
Gez had made a set of configs for every port related to ZDoom, which included GZDoom,
but did not keep it up to date.

Download GZDoombuilder by MaxEd, which is a rewrite of Doombuilder2 tailored to all the features
GZDoom has to offer, and more.

Tiger maintains the SVN downloads here
http://svn.drdteam.org/doombuilder2-gzdb/

Kappes Buur said:

Doombuilder2 does not come with a configuration file for GZDoom. Never has.
Gez had made a set of configs for every port related to ZDoom, which included GZDoom,
but did not keep it up to date.

Download GZDoombuilder by MaxEd, which is a rewrite of Doombuilder2 tailored to all the features
GZDoom has to offer, and more.

Tiger maintains the SVN downloads here
http://svn.drdteam.org/doombuilder2-gzdb/

I recommend working with the regular Doom Builder 2 first, and GZDoom visual mode. GZDoom Builder is really unstable as of now. Maybe someone else should re-write it for a stable release.

EDIT: scratch that, the version linked seems to be working good now.

Doom Juan said:

That's useful to have - can I see my slopes/3D floors in DB1 with the Vavoom config files?

No, the 3D mode renderer doesn't support slopes and I don't think it does 3D floors either.

Most people here would have a copy installed though some won't admit to using it.

Doom Juan said:

Does it really matter that much to know how large a playerbase GZDoom is enjoying?
If you like it the best, that should be enough.

Historically, as opposed to other ports, ZDoom has enjoyed a meteoric climb in popularity,
mostly because Randi listened to the mappers and implemented what they would like to
see in ZDoom.

And with Graf Zahl bringing in OpenGL to make it GZDoom, it has evolved into an even
better port.

For my money, GZDoom gives me the most enjoyment to play and create maps with.

Like GreyGhost said:
Most people here would have a copy installed though some won't admit to using it.

Just for the record, you don't need any special config files at all. All you need to know what line special number the effect has.

boris said:

Just for the record, you don't need any special config files at all. All you need to know what line special number the effect has.

That made me chuckle a bit.

Of course, that is possible, if you know the number for the thing or special and the number and meaning of the attributes.
Oh, the tediom, switching back and forth between the WIKI and DB1 to find and apply the correct information.

It hurts just thinking about it. :)