Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
MSPaintR0cks

Need someone to test my awesome wad >:D

I have been working quite a while now on my wad and have finished roughly half of it. To make sure it is actually still playable for anyone else, I would just need some of you guys (maybe 2 or 3) to play a it little and tell me if its okay or not the way it is right now. Of course it`s still very unfinished in many places.

Some screenshots have been posted in the picture thread of this forum.

MSPaintR0cks said:

Some new screenies from my game in which you run around in Wolf3D-styled levels fighting an army of evil cats!
Just a few additions this time:

Isn`t this a nice view outside? :D
The obvious flatness of that texture adds to the early 3D feeling.

The ominous entrance to an office hidden in a cave.

Hooray! Destructable vases and tables! They drop fruits or hamburgers
that give you some health.

So if anyone is interested in playing, let me know. :D

@grouchbag, LizardCommando,sgt dopey
Awesome, I am going to send you the game via private message.

@xxbio Warfare11
Haha yes, the similiarity is uncanny. I was totally into Regular Show around the time I made some of the sprites.

I only had time to play part of a level before company came over.But what little I did play has earned you 5 stars,because I enjoyed it and also appreciated the pm.LOL,LOL,and more LOL!Thanks again!

Hope I'm not too late, but I'd like to playtest this as well. Hell, if you'd like, I'll help out with art assets and/or sounds, maybe even music.

@xxbio Warfare, Sodaholic, HellBent

Thanks, I am going to send you the game via PM too.
I think I have enough testers now. However, if someone REALLY wants to play it too... just ask. ;D

This is great!! I love it! :)

Hellbent said:

What is missing from the Doom mapping (or modding) scene?

What mapping styles or trends haven't been done enough?

THIS! -- Cartoony FPSes.

EDIT: you should change keycards you've picked up that show up in the full screen mode in zdoom from keycards to keys.

okay, great.

I assume the doom enemy sounds will be replaced as well? (such as the imp sounds and demon/baron hurt sound?). And the kamikazi slop, too, right?

This is frickin fantastic. I'm on map 4 now. great stuff!!

edit: windswept into a trap! gaaarahhharhhh!! I love the blend of wolf3d and .. new-fangled cartoonyness!
You could have some fun with easter eggs :)

Awesome :D
Yes, that also belongs on my To-Do-List! I wrote some of the unfinished stuff in the PM I sent you, in case you wondered. ;D

Aw sorry about that trap. I think I should make it a little easier.

After several attempts I think it would be more fun if when you get to the end of the chute a good player would be able to stay alive by having just enough cover/resources to combat all the dudes.vvThe way you have it set up is that it's really better to use the cubby holes to shoot from into the final room. The trap is probably a bit too unfair right now. (I keep dying pretty instantaneously).

I was thinking making a little hallway at the bottom of the room connected by two openings near either end (so in the automap it would look roughly like a handle to a mug). And the hallway could open up slightly to a small room with some reinforcements. Or you could make two breakable walls next to each other so it's really obvious and then you shoot it to open the small room with reinforcements, so you are pressed for time waiting for the bricks to blow up and reveal the expanded room with health/ammo--that would ratchet up the suspense. :)

Also, maybe give level 5 a nice blue ceiling? that would be nice!

One more thing... maybe have some strawberries lying on the ground ready to pick up--instead of only inside vases?

edit: I really like some of the Prince of Persia elements such as

Spoiler

floor spikes and gnashing doors.

It would be really awesome to make some prince of persia like levels with multiple floor heights (but done in the same way PoP did it). I was actually awhile ago thinking it would be really cool to make PoP mod for doom, but never posted because I figured it was too much of a long shot, but you've already created most of the elements needed! You should start a 'retro game' software company.

Wow, thanks for all that constructive criticism :D
Your idea for the trap sounds pretty awesome, I am going to add that!

I am not sure if a level with multiple floor heights would fit the style of the game and that "made in the early 90s"-feeling I am going for. However, Map07 comes pretty close in terms of PoP-styled traps - there are gnashing doors all over the place! :D
I also wanted to add moving walls, but it didn`t work out the way I wanted it with PolyObjects. They always got stuck when the player touched them.

Ooh, I would love to, but at first I want to finish my main project. :D
I had bad experiences with having more than one project so far - many of them never got finished.

I was expecting this wad to be a wolf 3d colne with alternate textures and thats all. BUT ITS MUCH MORE THAN THAT. this was actually much more fun than I expected. good job man.

xxbio Warfare11 said:

I was expecting this wad to be a wolf 3d colne with alternate textures and thats all. BUT ITS MUCH MORE THAN THAT. this was actually much more fun than I expected. good job man.

Good to hear that!

Spoiler

Is the shut down switch on map07 supposed to be broken?

If yes, don't tell me what to do, I want to try to figure it out for a bit more before I ask for a hint. I just want to make sure that it's not a bug.

EDIT: solved it. [EDITX2] Ahh! clever! (this time I really did solve it).

But... I noticed a bug. If you have 200 health 200 armor, and you don't make the exit in time, you don't die after the countdown to 0. You remain alive, but in pitch black.