Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Hellbent

The Vicious Kind (movie)

Just saw this film. I went into it knowing nothing about it (browsing my friend's netflix looking for something to watch). I saw the pretty girl on the cover of the film thumbnail and it looked half decent so that was enough for me. Turns out the film was quite good. It's labeled a dark comedy and while the first half of the film is funny, I would classify it as a drama before calling it a dark comedy (though it is a bit dark, overall it is not a dark film).

If you haven't seen the film, I suggest you do so, but do not even google the film first and don't watch the trailer. Just watch it.

What's a good indie film that you saw that slipped under the radar?

If you've seen the film, you may read my immediate response to the film, otherwise please do not:

Spoiler

So, the take away message I got from this film is that in order not to get hurt it's a good idea to hurt others first. If you're first to the punch, well then the other gets hurt and not you. Like father like son. If you reply to this, reply with spoiler brackets. [spoiler]
EDIT: I sorta feel like the film could have had more of a catharsis for the older brother. I guess the director intentionally ended the film in a sort of ambiguous no man's land, or up to your interpretation on how the father and him worked through their respective messedupnesses. I mean, there is a sick irony in the way the son's so adamant that she not hurt his brother and then he goes and does just the thing to hurt his brother, but more over, to turn her into a whore (or at least make her feel like a whore) and to leave her feeling absolutely shitty and confused. Although it probably should be taken into consideration that love does have a Shakespearean mind of its own.

quote of the film: "I wish I could get over this strange compulsion to protect Peter, because the only way I know how to do that is to hurt him."

Might check it out, but I wanna know when you're just gonna make your own website for movie reviews. "Hellbent Reviews"

Anyways, Dark Comedies can always be an interesting pick.

Edit: as I think of it, Hobo With a Shotgun always struck me as a dark comedy over the action/horror tags Wikipedia gives it.

Clonehunter said:

I wanna know when you're just gonna make your own website for movie reviews. "Hellbent Reviews"

But then he won't have time to spam Doomworld, and will lose his "Forum Bellend" status to someone more dedicated :-(

Clonehunter said:

Edit: as I think of it, Hobo With a Shotgun always struck me as a dark comedy over the action/horror tags Wikipedia gives it.

I couldn't figure out whether it was intentionally bad or unintentionally bad, a black comedy or a straight up modern exploitation film or what. It's too weird a film to try and categorise.

I'm watching Walking The Dead right now. Pretty unrelenting show. I've watched 11 episodes straight and I'm starting to get unhinged. I should probably stop soon.

Walking The Dead? Interesting show, I could always add another zombie show to my list, probably right with The Walk-oh wait.

(Though a show about people keeping Zombies as pets... That, would be slightly interesting)

haha, The Walking Dead even. They were trying to walk the dead in the last episode but it didn't work out so well in the end.