Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
printz

No Hotmail or Yahoo! emails for new registered users?

I was curious to see what new people registering on Doomworld Forums see when entering their data. And I saw these small red texts at the email address fields:

If you use a Hotmail or Yahoo address, you may have trouble confirming your account. They are rejecting our confirmation e-mails.

No Hotmail or Yahoo! See above.

What? Is someone within the system trying to monopolize Google's email service? I know there are other services by now (e.g. Facebook email), but (at least a few years ago) these three were the best known, and forcing people to create new email accounts is still not very ok.

Well at least Doomworld doesn't require you to use email accounts strictly from your ISP "for security reasons".

Used to be that if you used e-mail addresses from either of those services, you would never receive the confirmation e-mail, because they treated it as spam or something. Of the accounts from this year that are still stuck in 'awaiting e-mail confirmation', about half of them are using one of those services.

Never had a problem with Yahoo signing up, and Doomworld still spams my spam folder with thread replies (Which I'm too lazy to check off).

You can change in the User Profile / Edit Options or Edit Profile (one of those) the check box defaults. I remember I also had to remove the "Email Notification", but now I no longer have to.

When I first registered on Doomworld back in either 2004 or 2003, I used a Yahoo email account. And I kept the registration linked to my Yahoo account all the way until the spring of this year when something came up and I had to get a new address ASAP, abandoning my old one. So now I have successfully linked my aging Doomworld account to a totally different email address from a totally different host.

Registered a year ago (daaaaaaamn it goes by fast) and I used Hotmail. I don't think excluding Yahoo or Hotmail is too good of an idea, unless we're planning to optimize an integrated Google everything experience.

Yahoo and Hotmail aren't excluded, people! They exclude themselves by sending Doomworld's activation emails to the spam bin automatically, preventing people from registering.

The problem is not on Doomworld's side.