Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
tangoliber

Mods for a roguelike experience...

Hey guys, I'm looking for recommendations.

I've been trying to simulate a roguelike experience in Doom 2.
Here is what I'm currently doing...

-Oblige
-Either AEoD or scalliano's 667 shuffle.
I like how AEoD has items and spells, which adds to the roguelike feel. But I also like 667 shuffle because it is more thematically consistent.
-AEoD Music Pack
-Self-imposed permadeath rules. (Regenerate a new episode every time I die.)

I have ManDoom, which is an awesome idea, but I don't usually use it because:
1) It seems to cancel any other mods whenever I use the randomize feature
2) Jumping is disabled, and in my opinion, jumping makes Oblige levels so much more interesting by providing opportunities for shortcuts and interesting maneuvering, even if it makes some levels much easier.

Anyway, I'm already having a lot of fun, but I'm still looking for any other recommendations that might add to this experience or give me more options.

Reelism or Samsara would be a good fix too, though both emulate a more distinct seperate gameplay experience.

I remember Nash was working on a mod for ZDoom to simulate a Nethack experience, I don't know what ever came of it but I'm gonna search around the ZDoom forums to see if I can find it.

EDIT: Found it. Check this out you may be able to use it for something.

With Aeons of Death, I usually prefer playing it on "Monster Mayhem" mode, so not only do you have to deal with the monsters already in the level, but also new monsters spawning in every so often.

Speaking of Aeons of Death, I'm still working on a bestiary guide on the monsters themselves.

Edit: Speaking of Monster Mayhem mode, it's kind of like the Left 4 Dead mode, with the additional monsters spawning in being random as well as prize caches (such as additional new weapons) being generated to keep you going. Even boss-class monsters have a chance of being spawned in if there's enough room for them.

gun_psycho said:

Speaking of Aeons of Death, I'm still working on a bestiary guide on the monsters themselves.

So how many monsters are in there as far as hundreds? I must assume maybe 500 or close to 1,000 in the wad.

Thanks for the replies, guys.

Reelism is really cool. I've been enjoying that.

I'm looking forward to seeing that AEoD bestiary.

My dream game would be to combine Oblige level generation, with Borderlands weapon and class mod generation, and the skill system from Dungeons of Dredmor. :)