• More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
BlueFireZ88

Doom Expanded Beta 8-5

Beta 8-5 now available:
http://www.mediafire.com/?r4al3z6itak7q1s

Changes since Beta 8:
-New sounds (Infrared, Auto-map, Invul., bullet clip, shells)
-DSSECRET (secret sound) replaced with DSGETPOW.
-Secret Cheat Map for Doom 1 supports all four episodes (E(1-4)MX).
-Rocket, Plasma ball, BFG ball, and Unmaker demon sphere appear (spawn) from their weapons not the player (animation tweak).
-New sprites for Spectre.
-Improved Cacodemon death.
-Revenant Missiles now improved.
1.New Missile sprites and effects.
2.Now has RevRockets(normal) and RevTracers(seekers).
3.Now fires two missiles from both barrels.
4.RevTracer chance of appearing reduced to 25% (from original 50%.)
-Plasma Rifle fire animation improved.
-Glow effects and brightmaps added to common Doom liquids.
-New liquid splash sprites.

Features removed from Beta 8:
-AFONT.wad removed from pk3 (in favor of original Vanilla interface).
-Expanded title screen removed from use (but is still in Graphics.wad).
-Footstep sounds removed in favor of classic Doom ambiance.
-D3 Wraith removed in favor of Vanilla hanging Keen (looking for Keen 4 death sounds).

Be sure to let me know of problems, suggestions, and criticisms.

Beta 8 (Last full version)
Download it now.

NOTE: Be sure to read the text file with the Beta to get the most of out Expanded.

Welcome to Doom Expanded, a comprehensive mod for the original
Doom IWADs. This is the first time Expanded has ever appeared
on Doomworld.

The purpose of this modification is to add a number of graphical/sound enhancements
and other gameplay tweaks/additions to the classic Doom experience while keeping
the original gameplay intact. This mod keeps the fast and fun style of the original
Doom games but adds more to make it a much deeper experience.

You can use this mod with any Doom IWADs (Doom, Ultimate Doom, Doom 2, and both Evilution and
Plutonia), or even together with PWADs that use Vanilla based resources, contain minimal changes,
or have DECORATE information that's independent of anything that's in Expanded. You can try to
mix and match mods, but be sure to keep in mind the features of both Expanded and the pk3/wad
your using with it (as they may or may not work properly with each other). Loading Order (which
PWAD loads first) should be keep in mind when using Expanded with other mods and having a
front-end like ZDoom Launcher or similar can come in handy in that regard.

If you have any critiques, feedback, or suggestions, please contact me either through email or post
your thoughts right here on the thread.

Screenshots:
Doom (E2M8): Tower of Babel
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y297/Sarah_Fraggle/BlueFireZ88-Doom/DEB81.png

Doom 2 (MAP10): Refueling Base
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y297/Sarah_Fraggle/BlueFireZ88-Doom/DEB82.png

Final Doom - Plutonia Experiment (MAP32): Go 2 It
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y297/Sarah_Fraggle/BlueFireZ88-Doom/DEB83.png

D2 Master Levels: Black Tower
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y297/Sarah_Fraggle/BlueFireZ88-Doom/DEB84.png

D2 NRFTL (MAP08): Tomb of Malevolence
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y297/Sarah_Fraggle/BlueFireZ88-Doom/DEB85.png

Doom: The Lost Episode (E5M8): Redemption Denied
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y297/Sarah_Fraggle/BlueFireZ88-Doom/DEB86.png

Lost Episodes of Doom/Jupiter Missions (E1M1): UAC Spaceport
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y297/Sarah_Fraggle/BlueFireZ88-Doom/DEB87.png

Doom the Way ID Did (E3M8): Core
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y297/Sarah_Fraggle/BlueFireZ88-Doom/DEB88.png

Features
-Updated Vanilla monsters with new sounds, gore, and alternate deaths.
-New blood and gore effects (compliments of edited NashGore resources).
-Monsters have accurate blood color (Baron/HK = Green, Caco = Blue).
-New GL effects for Monsters (fireballs, glowing bodies, and new Lost Soul).
-Smooth animated weapons, with enhanced sounds, sprites, and effects.
-Bullet and Shell casings for Pistol, Shotgun, S. Shotgun, and Chaingun.
-New explosion and plasma effects.
-New sounds for all items, some with new sprites.
-High-res versions of many of the classic Doom sounds.
-New world sounds for ricochet bullets, body thuds, and weapon drops.
-All new wall decal effects (bullets, saw marks, scortches, blood, etc).
-New OpenGL light effects for lamps, torches, and other light sources.
-Warp effects for all liquids and Doom 2 falls (Plutonia has an addon for waterfalls in the works).
-Glow effects for various flats.
-Brightmaps for characters, items, decor, flats, and walls.
-Detailed footstep sounds and splashes for player.
-Updated in-game fonts (and "Bigfont" for Custom Map Names).
-Updated and fixed Doom 2 Cast Call.
-Skunk's "Thy Flesh Consumed" episode intermission map built-in.
-5 new music tracks for "Thy Flesh Consumed", 4 from Robert Prince's unreleased Doom beta tracks, and 1 from Doom 2.
-A new monster has been sighted! Seek where Keen once was.
-Super Shogun can be used in Doom 1/Ultimate (with cheats).
-Secret cheat weapon (Unmaker).
-Secret cheat level EXMX/MAPXX (for Unmaker).
-And much more!

I just tested this out and I like it. Pretty awesome. Looks like I'll have ZDoom autoload this and have GZDoom autoload Brutal Doom.

Raptomex said:

I just tested this out and I like it. Pretty awesome. Looks like I'll have ZDoom autoload this and have GZDoom autoload Brutal Doom.

While it does run in ZDoom, your missing out on a number of graphical features that require GZDoom. Please, give a shot with GZDoom and let me know what you think.

Ok. This is awesome. I just tried it in GZDoom. I'm glad I did, playing in ZDoom, the explosions didn't seem right but now with GZDoom I see how it's suppose to be. It's a great mod to spice up vanilla Doom. Excellent work.

Well got some new stuff for you all, and it involves what your going to see in the Final Version.

I won't say exactly what it is, but you can see for yourselves with this pics.

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y297/Sarah_Fraggle/BlueFireZ88-Doom/SPEC1.png
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y297/Sarah_Fraggle/BlueFireZ88-Doom/SPEC2.png
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y297/Sarah_Fraggle/BlueFireZ88-Doom/SPEC3.png
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y297/Sarah_Fraggle/BlueFireZ88-Doom/SPEC4.png

Did you see it? Well, here's your answer:

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y297/Sarah_Fraggle/BlueFireZ88-Doom/SPEC5.png

The Spectre has gotten a monochrome makeover and is looking better than ever. Originally it was just a black stencil render to achieve the invisible effect, but now he's actually got detail. And as you may have noticed, Doom 2's Cast Call now has the Spectre in it. Also, the BOSSBACK has been replaced with the Expanded title screen, leaving the original vanilla title screens alone.

Update: Been double-checking Expanded to make sure everything ready to go for the Final Version. I'm hoping to have a handful of addons with the Final Release that may interest some of you. I'll keep it a surprise for now. But I can share some of it soon.

Also, I recently tried nominating Expanded for best gameplay mod for the 2012 Cacowards (basically nominating myself). I knew that probably wasn't going to fly (as the post is gone), but I honestly didn't know if that was the case or not.

I humbly ask, given that I've spent over a year and a half's worth of my life and free time on this, that someone nominate Expanded for the Cacowards.

I'm not forcing anybody to do this, I only ask if you feel that Expanded is worthy for the position.

The focus some people have on these awards is rather disturbing, and says a thing or two about their motivations and personality.

LakiSoft:

Thanks for nominating me man, that was really nice of you. :)

Khorus:

That's kinda harsh don't you think? I been working on this this since early last year. The fact that I even have a shot at the Cacowards this year is only a fairly recent thing. In all honestly, it actually gave me the incentive to actually finish this project since I've been working on it on and off all year.

And I'm not saying no one else deserves at shot at it either. I'm sure some of them worked as hard on there own projects, and would also like to see their work get honored in such a way.

Khorus said:

The focus some people have on these awards is rather disturbing, and says a thing or two about their motivations and personality.

Such popularity contests dominate many modding communities these days, which is unfortunate since gaming and in turn modding are supposed to be for fun (IMHO).

Hellspawn:

Yes, Expanded is also being hosted on the ZDoom forums. In fact, all of the original Betas (starting with 5, the first public release) first appeared on the ZD forums. And while those older versions are no longer available to download, I still have them on my hard drive.

Again, the Cacowards (for me) only came into focus just these last few weeks, and this mod has been in development since last year. And I ain't going to lie, working on Expanded is both fun and frustrating as it can really feel like work sometimes. Regardless, I started this mod for my own personal reasons as a way of fixing up the original Doom games. Then over time it became something greater, and the Beta you've all played is the result all that time I worked on it.

My two cents here: I don't think most people here see Doom as needing fixing, it is great the way it is. Your mod doesn't seem to offer much new that hasn't been put out there in some form or other in the past and it just looks like you've thrown them together in one pk3 file, and quite frankly, the sound effects are really shitty. In fact, almost every sound fx replacement I've seen for Doom mods are shit. If you're thinking Cacowards here you must be high... I'm sorry to burst your bubble because I was looking forward to playing your mod and was very disappointed, in fact after 2 minutes of those sounds I had to turn it off. Better luck next time.

Look pal, unless you have something actually constructive to say (like how to fix said "shitty sounds", even though a good chunk of them are high-res versions of the original Doom sounds), you might as well have just slapped me in the face.

You form of criticism is horribly lacking in anything useful that would help me to fix the issues you've had with the mod. Don't just tell me something's bad and hope I can read your mind and perfectly tailor it to what your thinking. Now excuse me for being harsh, but your comment feels like borderline trolling.

Just because they're high res doesn't mean they fit, or are good. And you don't need to tailor it to what I'm thinking, it should be done how you want it to be done. My form of criticism is lacking to you because you don't want to hear it: you've made your baby and think you deserve a cacoward for it. Maybe I should cobble together pieces of mods & ideas that have existed for years and package it up and call it my own work too. Anyways, I was offering feedback and you don't like it, so fine, but it's not borderline trolling just because you don't like it: you've put it up here, expect feedback, good and bad.

The fact that you didn't even really bother to play it is what bothers me the most. You don't even give it a chance beyond hearing just a few sound effects. So you assume to have the absolute right to bash the mod even though you played nothing more than 2 minutes of it?

I don't like what you have to say because your basically just saying it's not even worth the time, even though you barely spent any with it to begin with. How is that fair to anyone who works on gameplay mods in general?

I have to agree with glenzinho the sounds are pretty crappy on top of that it seems this mod glorifies Doom's repetitive nature by exaggerating effects and adding new ones. For example the Underhalls was really annoying with blood and water splashing everywhere it's honestly like a sprite orgy but with no women.

I think what really topped it off for me was the dumb foot step sounds going off at even the slightest movement is that really necessary? I can see I'm moving I don't need to hear it.

Here is my suggestions

- Remove the cheesy sounds
- Lighten up on effects like the water splash that saturate with other effects
- Lose the footsteps this just doesn't belong in Doom if I wanted to play this MOD I wouldn't just because of this one point
- Get your own material most of this is a mash-up of other peoples work any donkey could throw together
- My last point, I would just give up on the stupid thing learn my lesson and start fresh with my own material

I really think you would benefit from re-restarting from scratch with all your own original work I mean sure you probably spent a lot of time on this but take everything you've learned and re-apply it fresh. If your not willing to do that then either give up on making Doom MODS or start mapping. In my opinion MODS like these are a dime a dozen but a good map is worth a dollar!

Ok, I'll give you some Pros: fire & projectile effects are really nice and I liked the Thy Flesh Consumed episode screen, BUT, the sounds are still shitty. Why mess with the switch sounds? WTF is up with the secret area sound? The footsteps are just f'n awful. All the good visual effects are cancelled out by the sounds. Also, I just looked at your text file and I'm wondering what you actually did yourself besides, in your words, "a smooth animated BFG 9000!" All of the rest is other people's work! And you want a cacoward? For compiling?

I have to agree with glenzinho

Thank god, I thought I was going crazy...

Nah, your not going crazy, just laying it out as it is and that is the best thing to do even if it seems harsh. If you come asking for criticism then turn around and get snappy/defensive your doing yourself no favors negative criticism is the best kind you can get. If I'm working on something I'd like to know whats wrong rather than whats right.

BlueFireZ88 said:

Look pal, unless you have something actually constructive to say (like how to fix said "shitty sounds", even though a good chunk of them are high-res versions of the original Doom sounds), you might as well have just slapped me in the face.

Glenzinho's complaints are perfectly reasonable. On the other hand, your refusal to accept honest criticism is making you look like a self-centered jerk. The fact that you nominated yourself for a Cacoward (WTF?) doesn't help.

Pottus:

I'm going have to put my foot down right here: You have no damn right to tell me what I can and can't do with how I work on Doom projects.

I am well aware of the fact that this mod is based on a number of other people's resources and frankly that shouldn't be considered a sin if they are used properly (and with their consent). To say I've done something wrong and that I should completely throw out everything I've done up to this point is a serious difference of opinion (to put this in as civil of terms as I can). I'm not about to put 18 months worth of my life and free time into the recycle bin just because someone doesn't like it.

I don't know what your line of thinking is when it comes to Doom development, considering so many mods and maps thrive on borrowed resources, your argument comes off as being contradictory.

So how am I supposed to take your criticisms seriously if your not willing to take my own comments and thoughts into some kind of equal consideration? Does this conversation have to decay into a mindless squabble? And all this just because you don't like what I've done and you think other people shouldn't either? People have the right to choose if what other people made is even worth playing. You sir, have obviously made your choice.

In all fairness (even though I shouldn't), I am willing to take SOME of your suggestions into consideration. And honestly, I'm surprised you even made suggestions, considering you said I should just throw my mod out. Again, why do you say your helping me when your basically saying I'm an idiot for not working on this from scratch?

At this point, I don't give a shit whether I win or lose the Cacowards, since people seem to think that the only reason this mod was even made was to win them.

Call me a selfish defensive jerk or not, this does not change the fact that this is my hard work, and that I'm not about to throw it out on the fact that it exists as it does.

That's kinda harsh don't you think? I been working on this this since early last year.

Working on something for a long time != Cacoward Nominee
Just had to add that.

I'm going have to put my foot down right here: You have no damn right to tell me what I can and can't do with how I work on Doom projects.

From what I can gather, Pottus was offering up constructive criticism, albeit a bit harsh. He's not ordering you, fuck no, only you can order yourself, but he's suggesting things to make this wad better. If he was ordering you, it'd be more "fuck you, do this."

So how am I supposed to take your criticisms seriously if your not willing to take my own comments and thoughts into some kind of equal consideration? Does this conversation have to decay into a mindless squabble? And all this just because you don't like what I've done and you think other people shouldn't either? People have the right to choose if what other people made is even worth playing. You sir, have obviously made your choice.

Let's see, your "thoughts" and "considerations" amounted to nothing more than becoming overly agitated at the fact that someone doesn't like your mod. It's not mindless squabble because people are offering suggestions, with the ultimate decision lying to you. If you don't want to do it, then state so, without the overreaction. You said it yourself: people have to right to choose if what people made is worth playing; Pottus chose to not like it and to voice his opinion, nothiing more.

In all fairness (even though I shouldn't), I am willing to take SOME of your suggestions into consideration.

Dafuq? This is done for the benefit and common good of your project, not to appeal to Pottus.

Again, why do you say your helping me when your basically saying I'm an idiot for not working on this from scratch?

you're*
People can help whenever they want. He didn't call you an idiot, just told you that you can make a more amazing mod by learning from what you've accomplished here (again, albeit with a harsher tone, but I understand his viewpoint from your shitty attitude).

I don't give a shit whether I win or lose the Cacowards, since people seem to think that the only reason this mod was even made was to win them.

I don't think there's a need to ask for a nomination if people like your mod enough.

In my opinion (notice the personal pronoun), I think you're just disappointed that you recieved better criticism over at the ZDoom forums. DW, again, in my opinion, is more of a map oriented modding circle with many more vanilla players in comparison to ZD's feature/gameplay modding type.

Call me a selfish defensive jerk

You are a selfish defensive jerk.

Oh, and feedback can be negative, in case you haven't noticed.

Edit: Disclaimer that this is my perspective, just in case I misinterpreted Pottus.

I don't want to speak for Pottus here, but one good turn deserves another:

BlueFireZ88 said:

I'm not about to put 18 months worth of my life and free time into the recycle bin just because someone doesn't like it.

No one told you exactly to throw it in the bin, but, damn, it took you 18 months to throw other people's resources together? Sorry for you dude.

BlueFireZ88 said:

I don't give a shit whether I win or lose the Cacowards

BlueFireZ88 said earlier:
Also, I recently tried nominating Expanded for best gameplay mod for the 2012 Cacowards (basically nominating myself). I knew that probably wasn't going to fly (as the post is gone), but I honestly didn't know if that was the case or not.
I humbly ask, given that I've spent over a year and a half's worth of my life and free time on this, that someone nominate Expanded for the Cacowards.
I'm not forcing anybody to do this, I only ask if you feel that Expanded is worthy for the position.

Actually, you are the one who brought the Cacowards up, and it does look like that you indeed give a shit.

BlueFireZ88 said:

Call me a selfish defensive jerk

You are a selfish defensive jerk.

glenzinho said:

No one told you exactly to throw it in the bin, but, damn, it took you 18 months to throw other people's resources together? Sorry for you dude.

erm

My last point, I would just give up on the stupid thing learn my lesson and start fresh with my own material

BloodyAcid:
I'm not against negative criticism (even if at the moment it doesn't seem like it). I'm honestly frustrated and the fact that I was given harsh criticism in such a manner isn't exactly motivating to do better or try something new entirely.

If they were at least more civil and thoughtful with their words I would be willing to take what they have to say to heart, to try something new, rather than berate me for trying to finished what I already started.

I admit to not being an innocent in this given how I acted. I admit to being defensive and stubborn about things I take pride in. For me, harsh criticism like that is like someone stabbing me in the stomach.

I'm sorry for the way I acted, and I probably should have either addressed this better or simply not replied.

I don't want this to drag out anymore, because at this point, it's only going to get worse from here on. I'm tired, and I just want to get back to work on Expanded.

Hey man, like I said others and myself are just putting in their two cents and being honest. No one is out to tell you what to do that you can decide for yourself. I was just suggesting what your best option would be there is no mindless squabble here that is your assertion.

But the fact remains, most of the material is borrowed from other wads and that doesn't weigh much value to your project. This is why I suggested starting from scratch, it's not the worst project but at the same time it's still below the level of mediocre quality. If you take a look through the forums I regularly post my ideas and I am quite active with helping people in the editing forum.

Anyways, I'm not here to pollute your thread I'm just trying to give you the best suggestions I can think of I'm being perfectly fair here and I wouldn't suggest you do something I wouldn't do myself.

I'm honestly frustrated and the fact that I was given harsh criticism in such a manner isn't exactly motivating to do better or try something new entirely.

Tis the circle of Doom modding life. You'd be even more aggravated when people troll your shit on idgames.