Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Fenriswolf

Startup Screen and GAMEINFO lump

Hello!
I wanted to change the Startup Screen for my Mod project. Now, I already learned that it has to do something with a Gameinfo lump, but ZDoom wiki gives no real examples on how to do this exactly. When I just create a txt file and load it into the WAD with the content:

IWAD = HERETIC.WAD
STARTUPTITLE = "ENCRYPTER"
STARTUPCOLORS = "red", "black"

I get an error message when I try to launch the game, it says "Startuptitle" needs an identifier but got a string instead. Now on ZDoom wiki it is written: "Startuptitle: "<string title>"" - So how is this supposed to work? I just want to change the text and the colors of the startupscreen...

Not sure why but it didn't work for me when I had things in the same order as you but this did:

STARTUPCOLORS = "red", "black"
IWAD = HERETIC.WAD

Although the heading doesn't look red/black to me. :/

[edit] though the console tells me why - looks like numbers may need to be hex.

STARTUPCOLORS = "ff 00 00", "00 00 00"

Thank you very much for your kind help!
But somehow, It still doesn't work but I think I am a step further and now why: The GAMEINO lump file in the WAD archive just looks like an ordinary text you load in there. Normally, when I loaded a special lump like DECORATE or MAPINFO, it got that little "Z" icon, the GAMEINFO lump does not have this one and does not have a type either...

That is probably just your lump editor (Slade?) recognising some of the lump names as ones for ZDoom but not GAMEINFO. GAMEINFO is just a text lump (as are the others you mentioned).

I'm mystified as to why it isn't working for you when it works for me though. I can even just save the entries into a text file and drop it on to zdoom.exe and zdoom will start using heretic.wad and with your changed startup window.

Just to be clear, my copy of your code now reads:

STARTUPCOLORS = "ff 00 00", "00 00 00"
IWAD = HERETIC.WAD
That works perfectly for me in a WAD, a PK3 and as a loose text file on its own.

It also works with HERETIC.WAD in quotes.

No I am using XWE ( I know I probably shouldn't, it's just because I am used to it and I think it should not make a big difference in this case?)

Thank you very much!
This is what I got now:

GAMEINFO is a ZDoom feature that postdates XWE by a while, that's why XWE doesn't know about it.

Also you might want to update your ZDoom to the latest version (2.6.1 at the time of this post), because 2.5.0 is old. Check all the stuff that has been added since!

Fenriswolf said:

This is what I got now: image

As Gez mentioned, a newer version of ZDoom will display it correctly.

As to XWE, text files are handled without trouble as is.
But, if you want to have it identify a GAMEINFO lump as a GAMEINFO type, for example

then insert this into XWE.INI