Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Buckshot

Aubrey Hodges info

BuddhaMaster said:

Hello there
I just found this thread and saw it's actual date.

I grew up with Doom and I'm partially obsessed with everything about it. Half my life I tried collecting any info I can get about the Doom games, as well as soundtrack of any Doom version thats out there.

-Some day I came across this sample:
https://www.box.com/s/zaj22ytct2oklt9n4v41

I've never figured out where it came from, but it was clearly used by Aubrey Hodges in the DOOM PSX soundtrack.
Once I tried contacting him, maybe he was too busy answering.

-this monster moaning transient is clearly a part of DOOM PSX:
https://www.box.com/s/khi38vhr8fkakmu2f15f
-as well as this scream:
https://www.box.com/s/ynra9z5okfiwn70is7c9

Anyone knowing the soundtrack should recognize it.
Maybe Aubrey Hodges can shed some light to where this sample initially comes from?

dont recignize these either. did you rip them from the psx disc? you can get allbthe samples used with an old sound ripping program. as i remember every track was made of about 3 or 4 samples, but we couldnt extract the midi.. that firat track seems to long, they were short samples, though it could have been used as a base. sounds a bit like the track that is mostly a groaning demon, but slowed down in game..

jdagenet said:

What soundtrack? I'm disappointed that I can't recognize it. I want to say that it's from Deimos Anomaly but that soundtrack is mostly composed of some sort of phrase.

speed down it sounds like a direct quote from the soundtrack. Maybe I'm wrong and it just the same accidentaly
When I found those samples some years ago I was in 100% believe that this is what Aubrey used to sample - he said that he "used some ordinary samples besides".

Kaiser said:

1st Question:
I remember looking at some development shots in a Gamepro magazine eons ago and remember seeing a weapon that wasn't featured in the final game. I am assuming this was suppose to be some sort of Lightning Gun that was eventually replaced by the Demon/Laser weapon? Any memory of that?

2nd Question:
How did the idea of Doom64's final boss (four-armed slug creature thingy) come up? This seemed really mysterious to me and I am curious to know what it was called and how were the sounds created for it.

1. No memory of the laser/lightning gun decision. Sorry.
2. I was not a part of that design decision but once they gave me the visuals I just went through my normal creative process for him. I spend some time trying to imagine what things should feel like in terms of audio. I try to determine where they would fit on their own and in relation to the rest of the game's sonic backdrop. Once I have a direction I use whatever I can find to bring that design to life. In the case of almost every monster in Doom my main tool was a massive plastic Taco Bell cup. I used it to modify my voice while behind the mic and it really helped me get closer to the massive horrific sounds I heard in my head. Once everything was recorded I used a ton of processing to finalize the effect.

-Aubrey

ShaneAmp said:

so do you think everything else disspeared with midway? or is it possible some artists were offered their creations before going under? such as the texture and models made for Doom64. Or was the estate sold off to someone, or split between the highest share holders?

I don't know all the specifics but it is highly unlikely that any of those assets were released. Some of their IPs were sold to other companies but DOOM and QUAKE were never owned by Midway, only released through a licensing agreement with id. While id owns the IPs of course, they did not own the material specific to those releases and Midway had nothing to gain by selling those assets without an IP to go with them. Alas, those are likely gone for good unless some of the artists had made backups before they left.

-Aubrey

DustFalcon85 said:

Aubrey. How about a code for the free download to Doom Playstation instead? And will that include tracks from Final Doom PS1? PM me when it's available and I'll send you my email and you send me the code. Deal? UPDATE: My email address is in my profile. Click "Profile" in the bottom of my post. Then look for "Click to email DustFalcon85" in blue underlined letters.

EDIT: Also where you responsible of assigning the ambient tracks to each PS1 Doom level that feels it fits into the atmosphere of that level. For example Mt. Erebus's (the crying babies) music also appears on The Crusher and Final Doom's Ballistyx.
Since some of the PC levels didn't made it to the PS1 due to memory limitations. For example Slough of Despair, They Will Repent, from Ultimate Doom. Downtown, Gotcha!, The Spirit World from Doom II and other levels from Master Levels, Final Doom: TNT Evilution & Plutionia that didn't came to the PlayStation. What tracks would you assign to all of those PC levels if they theoretically ported to the PS1?

Last question. If you still have the Arch-Vile sounds. Will we get to hear them for the first time?

If I can find those sounds I will edit them a bit and post them. It's highly unlikely that I will though. It has taken weeks for me to finally find the high quality music tracks and I have also been looking for sample data as well and no luck so far. Yes, I did determine what music went with what level. Memory restraints played a huge role in those decisions. I did the best I could to match the feel of each level based on the available tracks that would actually fit into memory when that level was loaded. As far as what tracks to assign those PC levels...just use your best intuition when assigning the tracks. Pop one in and play the game. You'll know fairly quickly if it feels right.

-Aubrey

BuddhaMaster said:

Hello there
I just found this thread and saw it's actual date.

I grew up with Doom and I'm partially obsessed with everything about it. Half my life I tried collecting any info I can get about the Doom games, as well as soundtrack of any Doom version thats out there.

-Some day I came across this sample:
https://www.box.com/s/zaj22ytct2oklt9n4v41

I've never figured out where it came from, but it was clearly used by Aubrey Hodges in the DOOM PSX soundtrack.
Once I tried contacting him, maybe he was too busy answering.

-this monster moaning transient is clearly a part of DOOM PSX:
https://www.box.com/s/khi38vhr8fkakmu2f15f
-as well as this scream:
https://www.box.com/s/ynra9z5okfiwn70is7c9

Anyone knowing the soundtrack should recognize it.
Maybe Aubrey Hodges can shed some light to where this sample initially comes from?

I don't recognize any of that material. It all sounds like it was done using mouth foley and later pitch processed. Those techniques would sound very similar to what ended up all thoughout DOOM and can easily be mistaken for monsters/effects in DOOM. It's also possible that those are actually my own recordings that have somehow leaked out into the wild. Although the sample quality is so degraded that it's hard for me to tell. I did a TON of mouth foley in my 10 years at Midway including hundreds of monster growl sessions for lots of various games. All that material was just sitting there unsecured on Midway's network for anyone to grab. Wish I could access that network now as I am getting so very tired of loading old jaz disks, hard drives and cd roms looking for this ancient stuff! lol
-Aubrey

Aubrey Hodges said:

If I can find those sounds I will edit them a bit and post them. It's highly unlikely that I will though. It has taken weeks for me to finally find the high quality music tracks and I have also been looking for sample data as well and no luck so far. Yes, I did determine what music went with what level. Memory restraints played a huge role in those decisions. I did the best I could to match the feel of each level based on the available tracks that would actually fit into memory when that level was loaded. As far as what tracks to assign those PC levels...just use your best intuition when assigning the tracks. Pop one in and play the game. You'll know fairly quickly if it feels right.

-Aubrey

I knew you guys were up against memory limitations on the consoles, but I never realized they were so strict that you had to assign tracks based on their size. That's incredible.

How many of the sound effects that you used in the Doom games came from stock resources? I know I've heard some of the sound effects (mostly the door and megasphere pickup effects) in multiple other games and TV shows. I've also heard the metallic-like percussion effect featured in this track used in the music to at least two or three X-files episodes.

Also, did you ever have any input in the Sega Saturn version of Doom? About half of the songs you composed for the levels were included as CD Audio and appeared to be edited down from the original versions on the Playstation. One song was even cut in half (at the 5:27 mark in the video), with the first half playing in one level, and the second half playing in a completely different level. The song choice in game also seemed to follow a program based on the order of the tracks on the CD instead of them being individually chosen for a level like you did for the PSX version.

Aubrey Hodges said:

1. No memory of the laser/lightning gun decision. Sorry.

No worries, figured it wouldn't hurt to ask :)
Though I was always fascinated with what the game would of looked like during early development stages.

Aubrey Hodges said:

2. I was not a part of that design decision but once they gave me the visuals I just went through my normal creative process for him. I spend some time trying to imagine what things should feel like in terms of audio. I try to determine where they would fit on their own and in relation to the rest of the game's sonic backdrop. Once I have a direction I use whatever I can find to bring that design to life. In the case of almost every monster in Doom my main tool was a massive plastic Taco Bell cup. I used it to modify my voice while behind the mic and it really helped me get closer to the massive horrific sounds I heard in my head. Once everything was recorded I used a ton of processing to finalize the effect.
-Aubrey

Heh, it's amazing how much a Taco Bell cup can accomplish for creating sounds. Was there ever a name for him?

Aubrey Hodges said:

I have no idea where those guys are now. We lost touch years ago. They are good people though and excellent at their craft.

According to MobyGames.com. Sukru Gilman currently resides in inXile Entertainment. http://www.mobygames.com/developer/sheet/view/developerId,131232/

InXile Entertainment's website has a "contact us" page. Try getting in touch w/ him if possible.

DustFalcon85 said:

According to MobyGames.com. Sukru Gilman currently resides in inXile Entertainment. http://www.mobygames.com/developer/sheet/view/developerId,131232/

InXile Entertainment's website has a "contact us" page. Try getting in touch w/ him if possible.

i have tried him on facebook with no results. i believe it was the right person, profile stated he currently works for sony entertainment, and this says the last game was by sony. that may mean he hasnt been online in a couple years though..

I have just released the Official Doom Playstation Soundtrack.

You can find it here:

http://aubreyhodges.bandcamp.com/album/doom-playstation-official-soundtrack

All tracks are from the original digital transfers. All level tracks are in their original LONG length version. (Most were shorter on the PSX due to memory restraints) This is the highest quality possible and the source files are loseless 44k Stereo .wav files. I will add a few bonus tracks to the download area for this soundtrack in the next few weeks)

Enjoy!

-Aubrey

Aubrey Hodges said:

I have just released the Official Doom Playstation Soundtrack.

You can find it here:

http://aubreyhodges.bandcamp.com/album/doom-playstation-official-soundtrack

All tracks are from the original digital transfers. All level tracks are in their original LONG length version. (Most were shorter on the PSX due to memory restraints) This is the highest quality possible and the source files are loseless 44k Stereo .wav files. I will add a few bonus tracks to the download area for this soundtrack in the next few weeks)

Enjoy!

-Aubrey

so is this from the original sequences, or remastered from the final mix downs? Spunds better already, noticed a few little things that originally got a bit muddy in the mix..

ShaneAmp said:

so is this from the original sequences, or remastered from the final mix downs? Spunds better already, noticed a few little things that originally got a bit muddy in the mix..

These are from the original sequences straight out of the digital out of the sony sound card used with Sound Deli. The material can't get any more high res than this. But, keep in mind, I deliberately used low res sampling techniques so that artifacts would arise and create texture. Especially when played so far below the root key during pitch bends.

-Aubrey

DooM_RO said:

Hey Aubrey, I have a question: What do you think of the sound design in Doom 3?

Honestly, I have not played Doom 3. It was relased during a very difficult period in my family life where I was not playing anything. At that time my 5 year old little girl Sarah was still going through Chemo and Radiation therapy for cancer. She went through about 20 months of treatment(from age 4 - 5 1/2) and is in total remission now. Cancer free for almost 7 years! While she was going through treament I spent all my spare time at Arnold Palmer Children's Hospital in Orlando. Now that I have a bit more free time I plan to pick it up though.

-Aubrey

I have a question thats unrelated to the Doom soundtrack: Did you do the music for Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning along with the Copernicus MMO?

Ragnor said:

I have a question thats unrelated to the Doom soundtrack: Did you do the music for Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning along with the Copernicus MMO?

No. That was done at the Baltimore studio.

Aw. Thats a shame, Reckoning always flaunted three big names, it'd be great if you were the fourth "hidden" name

Really wish 38 didnt go out like that, I was looking forward to seeing that Amalur IP grow.

Aubrey Hodges said:

Honestly, I have not played Doom 3. It was relased during a very difficult period in my family life where I was not playing anything. At that time my 5 year old little girl Sarah was still going through Chemo and Radiation therapy for cancer. She went through about 20 months of treatment(from age 4 - 5 1/2) and is in total remission now. Cancer free for almost 7 years! While she was going through treament I spent all my spare time at Arnold Palmer Children's Hospital in Orlando. Now that I have a bit more free time I plan to pick it up though.

-Aubrey

Really? Wow that must have been really stressful, I'm glad she's ok now!

Regarding Doom 3: It is a good game with flaws, and I think it's a worthy sequel to Doom (just barely though) but since we are talking Id Software, good is not good enough. Still, it had an AMAZING art direction and has aged pretty well. I recommend getting the BFG Edition (don't forget the patch!) but If you are planning to get the Oculus VR, then maybe you could wait an extra month or two.

One more question: Is there a place where I can get the PSX Doom cover art in high res? (preferably very big) I already have the Doom and Doom 2 ones but I'd like the PSX one since I find it a lot more badass. I might even make some T-shirts and a poster out of them!

Hey Aubrey, like most people here I'm a huge fan of your work :D I remember playing doom on my psx at night when I was a kid - that was really something haha.

There's something I've always been curious about though.

Was adding this techno song on lvl 59 (Club Doom) an idea of yours? It was an unexpected track obviously but I've always loved it. :D

Are you a fan of this kind of music? What's the story behind this song?

Sorry if that was already asked but I don't have time to browse the whole thread right now. :(

DooM_RO said:

One more question: Is there a place where I can get the PSX Doom cover art in high res? (preferably very big) I already have the Doom and Doom 2 ones but I'd like the PSX one since I find it a lot more badass. I might even make some T-shirts and a poster out of them!

Sorry, I have no knowledge of where something like that would be.

-Aubrey

Maldoror said:

Hey Aubrey, like most people here I'm a huge fan of your work :D I remember playing doom on my psx at night when I was a kid - that was really something haha.

There's something I've always been curious about though.

Was adding this techno song on lvl 59 (Club Doom) an idea of yours? It was an unexpected track obviously but I've always loved it. :D

Are you a fan of this kind of music? What's the story behind this song?

Sorry if that was already asked but I don't have time to browse the whole thread right now. :(

The idea for a track in that style came from the fact that the Club Doom secret level totally reminded us of a rave club. The crazy lighting and design screamed hardcore techno to all of us. I was happy Danny Lewis (a.k.a Technoman) was around because I knew he'd nail a piece in that style and I was terribly busy finishing up "Lamentation" (the track with crying babies) as well as wrapping up the weapon sounds. His creation matched the mayhem of that level perfectly. I enjoy hardcore tehno in small doses. hehe

-Aubrey

-Aubrey

For the longest time I always thought Club Doom's music was a remix of a existing hardcore track (Extreme Terror) by DJ Skinhead, which both sounded awfully similar.

I have a question about the Spider Mastermind. In the PSX version, it uses the same sound for both spotting the player and dying, whereas all the other demons have two separate ones.

Was this due to memory limitations, or was it because of a lack of time left in development?

Livo said:

I have a question about the Spider Mastermind. In the PSX version, it uses the same sound for both spotting the player and dying, whereas all the other demons have two separate ones.

Was this due to memory limitations, or was it because of a lack of time left in development?

It doesn't. They just sound similar.

footman said:

It doesn't. They just sound similar.

Doom Wiki said:
The PlayStation and Saturn ports' version of the spiderdemon only contains one sound clip, used for both an alert sound and a dying sound.

The sounds are different, although not by much. The PSX version of DSSPIDTH is near enough the same as DSSPISIT, except slightly downpitched with a mechanical shutdown/failure at the start (the same sound as the PC version of DSSPIDTH).

Yes, I was messing with these sounds earlier.