Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Buckshot

Aubrey Hodges info

My longtime friend and I were to try Doom 64 one evening back in '97. At some point, he fell to sleep as I would go on for the entire night, from dusk 'till dawn; I just couldn't close the thing. I was completely addicted to it.

It remains my favorite game today. Must have played it thousands of times. Among all, I felt in love with the soundtrack; no less. So much that I search the net for your name as soon as I got my dial-up connection not too long after. The search was poor at the time so I ended up doing all the stuff by my self. A scan of the Doom 64 cover and a complete audio extraction of the music via the television set and an amplifier etc.

I now have this huge pefect scan and the whole soundtarck, level by level, in my pc and ipod related devices. And I listen to it VERY often.

That is how much your work could have reached people at some point :-)

The greatest Masterpiece of ambiant soundtrack for me, Aubrey, and I am glad I can tell you now :-)

Live long and prosper; I am tempted by your ambiant recent releases (very good) but I will wait for later since Christmas has made me "poor" with my five monsters, and wifey :-)

Happy holiday to all

I am glad to hear that these pieces mean so much to all of you after all these years. I will admit I was nervous as to how the change in direction would be received by the Doom fans who would be referencing the original rock stuff in the PC version. It feels good to know that folks understand what I was trying to achieve and embraced the new style. The entire goal was to immerse folks into the hellish world of the Doom universe. While the original rock tracks were well written and had a fun vibe, they didn't feel like they were "in" the world but rather on top of it. That works well in many cases and there is certainly nothing wrong with that approach, but I prefer to engage at a deeper level when I play. I think that the majority of players liked the new direction and for the ones who didn't, there's always your ipod and plenty of metal to amp ya up.

Regards, -Aubrey

Just bought it. Great to listen to those pieces in HQ and I'm looking forward to the rest.

BTW this is a long shot but there's one thing I have to ask regards Club Doom - any idea what WDT JRS means?

Before you made the ambient soundtrack, did you ever have any idea or anything written for a more rock style soundtrack? you mentioned that they wanted it originally..

ShaneAmp said:

Before you made the ambient soundtrack, did you ever have any idea or anything written for a more rock style soundtrack? you mentioned that they wanted it originally..

I started with the main theme and level complete. Had I moved forward with tracks designed for the adrenaline rush, I would have created pieces that were similar in their texture to those. More of an art as noise/industrial rock style.

scalliano said:

BTW this is a long shot but there's one thing I have to ask regards Club Doom - any idea what WDT JRS means?

Most likely those are dev initials. JRS might be John Stookey...not sure about WDT.

thank you Aubrey for bringing back the soundtracks in such high quality, i've been a huge fan since i first heard your music in psx doom. lol i remember recording them onto tape and listening to them on my walkman having to flip the tape over every 45 mins. only way to truly enjoy these tracks is with decent speakers or headphones, the bass was shaking the house in some tracks and hits real low. love it. :D

hope Led remembers what the initials mean, maybe it reads WJ DR TS?

heh i always wondered what was up with that crusher room on "The Marshes" all those years playing and i never noticed it was Randy's initials.

Okuplok said:

heh i always wondered what was up with that crusher room on "The Marshes" all those years playing and i never noticed it was Randy's initials.

Oh...that room. Is there actually a way out of there? I could never find it.

Okuplok said:

i remember recording them onto tape

me to! just the other day i found a minidisc of the ps1 soundtrack that i carefully listened to, tried to find the loop point, and recorded them in order, in game while playing through it! The time i once had....:) next to a pile of discs.ofa.band i used to play in! only to be listned to in a soundproof room, over headphones, by myself..

ETA on the Quake soundtracks releases? And also I noticed that the Doom Playstation's level tracks has an echo-ish effect in them and shorter than what I heard while playing the PSX port of Doom. But, the Doom 64's and Final Doom's level tracks and the bonus tracks don't have this echo effect and retains their length. Is this normal huh?

Aubrey. Your music deserves a spot in TV Tropes' Nightmare Fuel & Hell Is That Noise pages. I use TV Tropes as a guide to find some music that'll freak me out.

DustFalcon85 said:

ETA on the Quake soundtracks releases? And also I noticed that the Doom Playstation's level tracks has an echo-ish effect in them and shorter than what I heard while playing the PSX port of Doom. But, the Doom 64's and Final Doom's level tracks and the bonus tracks don't have this echo effect and retains their length. Is this normal huh?

Aubrey. Your music deserves a spot in TV Tropes' Nightmare Fuel & Hell Is That Noise pages. I use TV Tropes as a guide to find some music that'll freak me out.

The Quake 64 Soundtrack will most likely be mid Feb and the Quake 2 Soundtrack release will be the end of Feb. I have a ton of music to write for a couple of other games at the moment and deadlines are fast approaching!

The original Doom material was much shorter in general because I had very serious ram limitations and had not invented all the tricks neccesary to squeeze into even smaller memory holes. The tracks are in fact longer than what was shipped but the tracks loop in game so you may have been thrown off by that. I don't hear any effect(s) other than what was on the original tracks. Different reverb/effect settings were used on all of the games which is most likely what you are hearing. Reverb/echo/delay etc. eat memory like crazy and in order to get longer tracks and more samples loaded I had to approach the sequels differently in that regard.

-Aubrey

vinnie245 said:

Doom 3 had a soundtrack? o_O

Yes. What sequences of sounds you consider "musical" is completely subjective.

Aubrey, thanks so much for releasing all these soundtracks. Have you considered releasing the music from Quest for Glory 4? I think it's some of your finest work.

I'm looking forward to the Quake soundtracks!

Great work Aubrey! I don't think you deserve to feel nervous; maybe cute or something like that (Ala Dr. Evil in Austin Powers?). Looking forward to buying your music score!

Wondering if you can obtain sounds from Playstation Doom in higher quality, including sounds that weren't in game due to hardware limitations like the arch-vile. Wouldn't mind paying you for something like that (maybe you could release a sound wad in similar likeness to http://www.perkristian.net/game_doom-sfx.shtml).

If it wasn't for your work I'm pretty sure Doom for Playstation wouldn't have been as great as it was for those who played it; I think PSX Doom conversations, conversions and what not taking place here are testimony to that and that's just a small part of it (seen talk on zdoom forums and many other places about your sound and music scores).

Doom on playstation really pushed the survival horror genre forward with it's gruesome-realistic graphics and dark-serious tone which really became scary due to the sounds and music (disturbing at times). PC version has upbeat music and sounds (grungey?) which fit in with it's brighter graphics, fast-paced and action-like gameplay (some of it is intended to be humorous I think).

You should've worked on Doom 3...

jute said:

Aubrey, thanks so much for releasing all these soundtracks. Have you considered releasing the music from Quest for Glory 4? I think it's some of your finest work.

I'm looking forward to the Quake soundtracks!

Your wait is over...well at least for the first one that is.

http://aubreyhodges.bandcamp.com/al...cial-soundtrack

I have released the "Official Quake 64 Soundtrack". All music from the game is present in extended versions and I did 2 new remixes as bonus tracks.

Enjoy!

-Aubrey

Aubrey Hodges said:

I have released the "Official Quake 64 Soundtrack". All music from the game is present in extended versions and I did 2 new remixes as bonus tracks.

Enjoy!

-Aubrey

Listening to this right now ... sounds really cool. It's actually the first time I'm hearing these tracks, because I never had an N64 :)

janvknn said:

Listening to this right now ... sounds really cool. It's actually the first time I'm hearing these tracks, because I never had an N64 :)

While you're at it...take a listen to these too! hehe

http://aubreyhodges.bandcamp.com/album/quake-2-nintendo-64-official-soundtrack

That's right...Quake 2 N64 has been released! Whew...so much work to get that one accomplished.

-Aubrey

Aubrey Hodges said:

Enjoy!

-Aubrey

Hello Aubrey

While your music is a great piece of work and some of the most unsettling video game music ever done.
You got to admit the music in the original Quake (PC) made by NiN (Trent Reznor) is pretty unsettling - it should even send you a chill down your spine.

Ever listened to the song It Is Raped ?:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LaNLZefi-K4&fmt=22

:)

I have a very important question needed to be answered because some of my Doom videos have gotten 3rd party content matches because of my custom tailored PSX Doom/Doom64 ambient music being used. I need to know that I have permission to use said tunes so I can get Youtube off my back because of it.

Attempting to use the contact form on his page gives me a 404 when I hit submit.

Mr. Chris said:

I have a very important question needed to be answered because some of my Doom videos have gotten 3rd party content matches because of my custom tailored PSX Doom/Doom64 ambient music being used. I need to know that I have permission to use said tunes so I can get Youtube off my back because of it.

Attempting to use the contact form on his page gives me a 404 when I hit submit.

Hi Chris,

My website Contact Form is now working properly.
http://www.aubreyhodges.com/contact-aubrey-2/

-Aubrey

Hello Mr. Hodges, it seems I sent the info via PM on Doomworld that I wanted to send via your website.

BuddhaMaster said:

You got to admit the music in the original Quake (PC) made by NiN (Trent Reznor) is pretty unsettling...

Now hang on a second. Quake had a music score?

baronofheck82 said:

Now hang on a second. Quake had a music score?

Only with the original CD version, the music was never added to the pak files.

I have written permission providing I link to the Bandcamp page, and who the hell is Orchard Music anyway?